Tailfairing on a Challenge Hurricane?

M

Mikael Seierup

Does anyone know of any Canes with tailfairings? Preferably M5 but Optima if need be. I need some
pictures and a word or three about how they were to install and the benefits and drawbacks.

Mikael

Mikael Seierup wrote:

> Does anyone know of any Canes with tailfairings? Preferably M5 but Optima if need be. I need some
> pictures and a word or three about how they were to install and the benefits and drawbacks.

I know someone who used to have a Challenge Jester with an Optima carbon fiber composite tailbox. I
assume if the tailbox mounts to a Jester it could also be made to work on a Taifun.

Tom Sherman – Close to 41½ N, 90½ W

"Tom Sherman" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Mikael Seierup wrote:
>
> > Does anyone know of any Canes with tailfairings? Preferably M5 but Optima if need be. I need
> > some pictures and a word or three about how they were to install and the benefits and drawbacks.
>
> I know someone who used to have a Challenge Jester with an Optima carbon fiber composite tailbox.
> I assume if the tailbox mounts to a Jester it could also be made to work on a Taifun.
>
> Tom Sherman – Close to 41½ N, 90½ W

I'm looking at getting an Optima tailbox, anyone know how exactly it mounts to a Baron?

I sold it today so nevermind. The new owner can figure it out.

Mikael

Mark Leuck wrote:

> I'm looking at getting an Optima tailbox, anyone know how exactly it mounts to a Baron?

With profuse quantites of swearing. I've seen a couple of different systems.

Both have a bolt each side at the lower forward extremity of the t/f, which is attached to the front
region of the seat, and an aluminium bracket which bolts to the upper part of the seat back and the
"fin" portion of the t/f. At the rear, there's either a U-shaped Thing which bolts to the rear part
of the fin and the mudguard eyes, or a couple of little right-angle brackets which connect the
mudguard eyes and the bottom of the t/f. I had the latter, but the carbon t/f is rather thin, and
was starting to split around the bolt holes, so I improvised my own version of the other method,
using the U-Thing from a Blackburn low rider rack, a P-clip and some pieces of scrap fibreglass.

Whichever system you use, it requires patience and at least two people...

--

Dave Larrington - http://www.legslarry.beerdrinkers.co.uk/
===========================================================
Editor - British Human Power Club Newsletter
http://www.bhpc.org.uk/
===========================================================