Tainted Supplements

Discussion in 'Health Nutrition and Supplements' started by admin, Nov 20, 2002.

1. admin

admin Guest

There is a news story everyone who races should read at http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/?id=2002/nov02/nov21news<br /><br /><br />

Tags:

2. nferyn

nferyn New Member

The whole drug testing business is really becoming a witch hunt. Even when the quantities of the substances found do not have any performance enhancing effect, the UCI (or the national federations - I dont know which one it is in this case) wants to nail the riders.<br />Even the pro riders are not very well organised against this kind of abuse and the UCI does nothing to protect the very ones that make cycling a great sport, probably because they assume that the public would applaud such a zero tolerance attitude... it's sickening.<br /><br />I'm not really all that familiar with direct action via the internet, but some sort of petition to the responsible federations would be very welcome. Does anyone have any suggestions?<br /><br />Niek

3. ric_stern/RST

ric_stern/RST New Member

Possibly, more to the point, i can't think of any evidence to suggest that amino acid supplementation has any benefit. amino acids are the 'building blocks' of protein, and people in the western world already consume a surfeit of protein. <br /><br />protein requirements for intense endurance exercise, are ~ 1.2 - 1.8 g / kg body mass per day, which for a 70 kg rider would be 84 - 126 g of protein. this is easy to achieve and exceed, even for people who typically consume 'small' amounts of protein, e.g., vegetarians. <br /><br />Ric

4. 2LAP

2LAP New Member

In suport of Ric, any additional protein needs from exercise are usualy met by the increase in food intake as a result of increased energy expendature from exercise when a BALANCED DIET is maintained!

5. ric_stern/RST

ric_stern/RST New Member

i'd actually like to go a bit further and state that in certain countries (USA, UK, and *possibly* Australia if memory serves me correctly -- i can't talk for other countries as i can't recall seeing data on it), that even without a balanced diet, and without an increase in energy expenditure, the general population consume a surfiet of protein, in excess of that required by athletes.<br /><br />In general i tend to see cyclists not consuming enough carbohydrates, which are far more important to support normal endurance training, and help in recovery.<br /><br />Ric<br /><br />

6. 2LAP

2LAP New Member

I agree Ric, but thats because the western diet tends to be unbalanced in the direction of fat and protein.<br /><br />I'm vegetarian, so my diet tends to be unblanced in the direction of carbohydrate! Lucky me!!!!! ;D

7. ric_stern/RST

ric_stern/RST New Member

Surprising, i'm a veggie too ;D. i was also surprised at how much protein i consume as a veggie (5-day analysis) as it was *way* over the 1.8 g/kg upper end, even though the majority of my diet is CHO rich. which i suppose brings me back to my original thought of why does anyone need these supplements?<br /><br />Ric

8. nferyn

nferyn New Member

[quote author=ricstern link=board=18;threadid=2678;start=0#23026 date=1038085594]<br />Surprising, i'm a veggie too ;D. i was also surprised at how much protein i consume as a veggie (5-day analysis) as it was *way* over the 1.8 g/kg upper end, even though the majority of my diet is CHO rich. which i suppose brings me back to my original thought of why does anyone need these supplements?<br /><br />Ric<br />[/quote]<br /><br />Probably nobody. But in the in the cycling world there are still a lot of riders that are very superstitious and they let themselves be guided by strict rituals and training/nutrition methods that are far from scientific (Nico Mattan is one rider that comes to mind)<br /><br />Anyway, my point was:<br />If somebody gets tested positively for:<br />* a quantity of the substance that does and cannot have any performance enhancing effects<br />* a substance for which he can prove that it comes from a source that does not indicate having the substance<br />* using a food supplement that deliberately witholds information about possible contamination, even when the likely target users are competitive sports people<br />Then that person does not deserver to be punished the way he is likely to be punished now.<br /><br />On top of that I would like to add that:<br />* there is probably no oher sport that does such extensive testing for doping as cycling (nowadays they even test very regularly in the youth categories in Belgium - 15/16 years - much more so than in professional soccer)<br />* the riders are hardly protected from anyone in the zero-tolerance approach, even if they can prove they did not have the intention to use these substances for performance enhanciement<br />* the riders cannot even undergo any efficient treatment when they are illl because a lot of drugs they would normally take are on the banned substances list<br /><br />And the treatment of the riders is getting worse and worse , when there is even the slightest possibility of drug abuse, the riders are given a treatment that even common criminals don't receive.<br /><br />The federations/justice system/governments continue this approach, possible because they think that this is exactly what the public opinion wants.<br /><br />My point was whether or not this is acceptable and if and/or what we can do about it<br /><br />Niek

9. Jelle

Jelle New Member

Past season I went to look to a race for 14-17 years old youngsters. after the race there was a doping test. everybody tested negative but i think if someone would test possitive it would be the parrents who told him to use doping. I think that taking doping is fault but i can understand people who do it. not that i wuld ever do it but if you are in proffesional races where there is so much competition i think it's normal that some people who can't win a race natural take doping so they can win.

10. 2LAP

2LAP New Member

Ric, I'll have to find some time to do a full dietary analysis on myself. I'm curretly trying to cut down on cheese, why is it that all non veggies like feeding veggies cheese!!! :D

11. ric_stern/RST

ric_stern/RST New Member

Or eggs! or get upset when you tell them you don't eat fish!<br /><br />If you gotta eat cheese (and i do), then switch to a lower fat variety -- Parmesan is good, lower in fat than e.g., cheddar, must tastier, it's also Italian so it fits in with my Campy equipment and love of espresso ;D<br /><br />Ric