Taiwanese recumbents

Discussion in 'Recumbent bicycles' started by Ken Kobayashi, Mar 14, 2003.

  1. I just noticed that China Mascot Products, a Taiwanese 'bent manufacturer, announced some
    new models:

    http://www.recumbent.com.tw/bents/model.htm

    The lowracer and the Hase Pino clone are new. The other models are already available in Japan. The
    Pockey7 is going for 60,000 yen ($500) and the TSUNAMI is sold as a frame kit for 50,000 ($420).

    I'm sorry I don't know about the availability in the US. Does anyone know?

  2. Rorschandt

    Rorschandt Guest

  3. On Sat, 15 Mar 2003, Ken Kobayashi wrote:

    > I just noticed that China Mascot Products, a Taiwanese 'bent manufacturer, announced some
    > new models:
    >
    > http://www.recumbent.com.tw/bents/model.htm
    >
    > The lowracer and the Hase Pino clone are new. The other models are already available in Japan. The
    > Pockey7 is going for 60,000 yen ($500) and the TSUNAMI is sold as a frame kit for 50,000 ($420).
    >
    > I'm sorry I don't know about the availability in the US. Does anyone know?

    I don't know about general US availability, but if anybody in the Seattle area is interested in
    buying one, I've got one for sale. It was shown at Interbike a while back. I'm not interested in
    shipping it anywhere, and it's an extra bike in my stable so it's for sale for $500 or an
    interesting offer. It's very similar to the PB-980, but it's got a built-in rear rack and I've got
    it equipped with a coroplast tailbox right now. The PB-980 can be viewed here:

    http://www.recumbent.com.tw/bents/pb-980.htm

    and my bike can be seen here:

    http://www.halcyon.com/peterson/BlueBent/BlueBent.html

    If you're interested, dorp me a note off-list.

    Kent Peterson Issaquah WA USA http://www.halcyon.com/peterson/rando.html

  4. Nice to see China Mascot is alive and well. They are quite affordable in the under 10 unit class
    and a few Big Name Bent companies have brought them into the USA (to sell as their own), but the
    deal killer was the transportation costs are too high. One Texas based company paid more on
    shipping than for 2 bents and I guess that made them think twice about importing anymore. To get
    these bents to go mainstream you'd need to buy in lots of 50 plus to balance out the shipping
    costs. The 3 PB Models they had before were NOT lightweight bents either...adding to the shipping
    cost. Get the bent down in weight and buy in lots of 20-50 and you'd have a good bent to slap your
    company name on....who'd know?
    "Ken Kobayashi" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]t...

    > I just noticed that China Mascot Products, a Taiwanese 'bent manufacturer, announced some
    > new models:
    >
    > http://www.recumbent.com.tw/bents/model.htm
    >
    > The lowracer and the Hase Pino clone are new. The other models are already available in Japan. The
    > Pockey7 is going for 60,000 yen ($500) and the TSUNAMI is sold as a frame kit for 50,000 ($420).
    >
    > I'm sorry I don't know about the availability in the US. Does anyone know?
    >
    > Ken Kobayashi [email protected] http://solarwww.mtk.nao.ac.jp/kobayashi/personal/

  5. Randy Schulman

    Randy Schulman New Member

    Joined:
    Jun 30, 2003
    China Mascot fans,

    I've just started a company, "ActionBent Recumbents", importing China Mascot bikes to the US; they're here now; See www.ActionBent.com. I brought in an initial shipment of 50 bikes. I'm in Redmond Washington. China Mascot only OEM's; you've GOT to "slap your own name" on'em! My URL is www.ActionBent.com. I've currently got three models; One is their 'Tsunami', renamed the "Tidal Wave' (couldn't use the same name, so I just translated it.)

    The other two are versions of what I call "The Hurricane" (liked the sea-weather theme) ; One is an above-steering version of their PB960 with two major upgrades: A 20" front wheel instead of their 16" wheel; I think tiny wheels are deadly. The other major upgrade is upgrading from 21-speed SRAM 3.0 components to 24-speed SRAM 7.0, a very significant improvement.

    The third is the "Hurricane" with under-seat steering like the Tidal Wave, but with SRAM 7.0 twist-shifters; Gets you a cool USS bike for way cheaper than the Tidal Wave. (not even yet posted on the site )

    My site has just gone up in the last couple of days, and I've got two EBAY ads in as well.

    I was too chicken to import their 'low-racers', and as for the 'Pocky Seven', I thought Americans wouldn't go for a recumbent with just seven speeds, even though I pretty much leave my front derailler in the middle all the time ; would like feedback on this; I'm strictly a COMFORT freek!

  6. Weird seeing my post from last year (below).
    Note: it might get a tad confusing using the Name "Hurricane" for one of your China Mascot bents.
    Not sure about how legal it is either. Re: Challenge Recumbents makes a "Hurricane" model as
    well. I looked at the www.actionbent.com website and was impressed with an OSS @ only
    $645.00....this should sell well. Bent riders can be a tough group to please, but $645.00 will
    soften up even the most critical in our group. Didn't China Mascot release a Titanium Frame a
    few months ago?

    Oh and I almost forgot "Best of Luck" in your bent venture.
    ---------------------------------------
    "Randy Schulman" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Joshua Goldberg wrote:
    > > Nice to see China Mascot is alive and well. They are quite affordable
    in
    > > the under 10 unit class and a few Big Name Bent companies have brought them into the USA (to
    > > sell as their own), but the deal killer was the transportation costs are too high. One Texas
    > > based company paid more
    on
    > > shipping than for 2 bents and I guess that made them think twice about importing anymore. To
    > > get these bents to go mainstream you'd need to
    buy
    > > in lots of 50 plus to balance out the shipping costs. The 3 PB Models they had before were NOT
    > > lightweight bents either...adding to the shipping cost. Get the bent down in weight and buy in
    > > lots of 20-50
    and
    > > you'd have a good bent to slap your company name on....who'd know?
    > > "Ken Kobayashi" <[email protected]> wrote in message

    [email protected]ews:AE1-

    http://www.recumbent.com.tw/bents/model.htmhttp://www.recumbent.-
    > > > com.tw/bents/model.htm
    > > >
    > > > The lowracer and the Hase Pino clone are new. The other models are already available in
    > > > Japan. The Pockey7 is going for 60,000 yen
    ($500)
    > > > and the TSUNAMI is sold as a frame kit for 50,000 ($420).
    > > >
    > > > I'm sorry I don't know about the availability in the US. Does anyone know?
    > > >
    > > > Ken Kobayashi [email protected] http://solarwww.mtk.nao-
    > > > .ac.jp/kobayashi/personal/http://solarwww.mtk.nao.ac.jp/kobayashi/- personal/
    >
    > China Mascot fans,
    >
    > I've just started a company, "ActionBent Recumbents", importing China Mascot bikes to the US;
    > they're here now; See www.ActionBent.com.[/url] I brought in an initial shipment of 50 bikes. I'm
    > in Redmond Washington. China Mascot only OEM's; you've GOT to "slap your own name" on'em! My URL
    > is ]www.ActionBent.com. I've currently got three models; One is their 'Tsunami', renamed the
    > "Tidal Wave' (couldn't use the same name, so I just translated it.)
    >
    > The other two are versions of what I call "The Hurricane" (liked the sea-weather theme) ; One is
    > an above-steering version of their PB960 with two major upgrades: A 20" front wheel instead of
    > their 16" wheel; I think tiny wheels are deadly. The other major upgrade is upgrading from
    > 21-speed SRAM 3.0 components to 24-speed SRAM 7.0, a very significant improvement.
    >
    > The third is the "Hurricane" with under-seat steering like the Tidal Wave, but with SRAM 7.0
    > twist-shifters; Gets you a cool USS bike for way cheaper than the Tidal Wave. (not even yet posted
    > on the site )
    >
    > My site has just gone up in the last couple of days, and I've got two EBAY ads in as well.
    >
    > I was too chicken to import their 'low-racers', and as for the 'Pocky Seven', I thought Americans
    > wouldn't go for a recumbent with just seven speeds, even though I pretty much leave my front
    > derailler in the middle all the time ; would like feedback on this; I'm strictly a COMFORT freek!
    >

    > --
    > Randy Schulman Founder and Big Wheel, ActionBent Recumbents 17930 NE 127th St Redmond,Wa, 98052
    > Fax 425-650-4037
    >
    > - - - - Derek Burley Canto, modified

  7. Tom Sherman

    Tom Sherman Guest

    Randy Schulman wrote:
    > ... The other two are versions of what I call "The Hurricane" (liked the sea-weather theme) ; One
    > is an above-steering version of their PB960 with two major upgrades: A 20" front wheel instead of
    > their 16" wheel; I think tiny wheels are deadly....

    You have just alienated the entire ownership of ISO 305-mm/ISO 406-mm wheel lowracers owners.

    Tom Sherman - Quad Cities Red Sunset and Blue Dragonflyer :)

  8. Edward Wong

    Edward Wong Guest

    > China Mascot fans,
    >
    > I've just started a company, "ActionBent Recumbents", importing China Mascot bikes to the US;
    > they're here now; See www.ActionBent.com.[/url] I brought in an initial shipment of 50 bikes. I'm
    > in Redmond Washington. China Mascot only OEM's; you've GOT to "slap your own name" on'em! My URL
    > is ]www.ActionBent.com. I've currently got three models; One is their 'Tsunami', renamed the
    > "Tidal Wave' (couldn't use the same name, so I just translated it.)
    >
    > The other two are versions of what I call "The Hurricane" (liked the sea-weather theme) ; One is
    > an above-steering version of their PB960 with two major upgrades: A 20" front wheel instead of
    > their 16" wheel; I think tiny wheels are deadly. The other major upgrade is upgrading from
    > 21-speed SRAM 3.0 components to 24-speed SRAM 7.0, a very significant improvement.
    >
    > The third is the "Hurricane" with under-seat steering like the Tidal Wave, but with SRAM 7.0
    > twist-shifters; Gets you a cool USS bike for way cheaper than the Tidal Wave. (not even yet posted
    > on the site )
    >
    > My site has just gone up in the last couple of days, and I've got two EBAY ads in as well.
    >
    > I was too chicken to import their 'low-racers', and as for the 'Pocky Seven', I thought Americans
    > wouldn't go for a recumbent with just seven speeds, even though I pretty much leave my front
    > derailler in the middle all the time ; would like feedback on this; I'm strictly a COMFORT freek!
    >

    > --
    > Randy Schulman Founder and Big Wheel, ActionBent Recumbents 17930 NE 127th St Redmond,Wa, 98052
    > Fax 425-650-4037

    Mr. Schulman:

    I must commend you for offering such a high quality recumbent bicycle at a reasonable price. I
    believe you will do very well indeed once you get sufficient exposure.

    It looks like the Lightning Thunderbolt and the RANS Rocket will have some serious competition;-)

    Edward Wong Orlando, FL

  9. Harv

    Harv Guest

    news:[email protected]...

  10. On Mon, 30 Jun 2003 18:44:15 -0400, "Joshua Goldberg" <[email protected]> wrote:
    >Note: it might get a tad confusing using the Name "Hurricane" for one of your China Mascot bents.
    > Not sure about how legal it is either. Re: Challenge Recumbents makes a "Hurricane" model as
    > well.

    Yeah I thought that too. I don't think "Typhoon" is taken.

  11. Drjoel

    Drjoel Guest

    Why not the lowracer? If it is streetable and a decent price it should go over real well.

    "Edward Wong" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > > China Mascot fans,
    > >
    > > I've just started a company, "ActionBent Recumbents", importing China Mascot bikes to the US;
    > > they're here now; See www.ActionBent.com.[/url] I brought in an initial shipment of 50 bikes.
    > > I'm in Redmond Washington. China Mascot only OEM's; you've GOT to "slap your own name" on'em! My
    > > URL is ]www.ActionBent.com. I've currently got three models; One is their 'Tsunami', renamed the
    > > "Tidal Wave' (couldn't use the same name, so I just translated it.)
    > >
    > > The other two are versions of what I call "The Hurricane" (liked the sea-weather theme) ; One is
    > > an above-steering version of their PB960 with two major upgrades: A 20" front wheel instead of
    > > their 16" wheel; I think tiny wheels are deadly. The other major upgrade is upgrading from
    > > 21-speed SRAM 3.0 components to 24-speed SRAM 7.0, a very significant improvement.
    > >
    > > The third is the "Hurricane" with under-seat steering like the Tidal Wave, but with SRAM 7.0
    > > twist-shifters; Gets you a cool USS bike for way cheaper than the Tidal Wave. (not even yet
    > > posted on the site )
    > >
    > > My site has just gone up in the last couple of days, and I've got two EBAY ads in as well.
    > >
    > > I was too chicken to import their 'low-racers', and as for the 'Pocky Seven', I thought
    > > Americans wouldn't go for a recumbent with just seven speeds, even though I pretty much leave my
    > > front derailler in the middle all the time ; would like feedback on this; I'm strictly a COMFORT
    > > freek!
    > >

    > > --
    > > Randy Schulman Founder and Big Wheel, ActionBent Recumbents 17930 NE 127th St Redmond,Wa, 98052
    > > Fax 425-650-4037
    >
    > Mr. Schulman:
    >
    > I must commend you for offering such a high quality recumbent bicycle at a reasonable price. I
    > believe you will do very well indeed once you get sufficient exposure.
    >
    > It looks like the Lightning Thunderbolt and the RANS Rocket will have some serious competition;-)
    >
    > Edward Wong Orlando, FL

  12. Rorschandt

    Rorschandt Guest

    Ken Kobayashi <[email protected]> wrote in
    news:[email protected]:

    > On Mon, 30 Jun 2003 18:44:15 -0400, "Joshua Goldberg" <[email protected]> wrote:
    >>Note: it might get a tad confusing using the Name "Hurricane" for one of your China Mascot bents.
    >> Not sure about how legal it is either. Re: Challenge Recumbents makes a "Hurricane" model as
    >> well.
    >
    > Yeah I thought that too. I don't think "Typhoon" is taken.

    Schwinn. If that matters now. "Storm" is fine, too. How about "Monsoon"? "Deluge"? or "Pouring Down
    Like a Cow Pissing on a Flat Rock"? Sort of long I guess...

    Rorschandt
    --
    <A HREF="mailto:p[email protected][127.0.0.1]"

  13. **************************************
    A good one in place of Hurricane might be the "SLASHER" a) because it contains my middle name
    re: Asher (not Slash) and b) because it implies a cutting action as in cutting through the wind.
    (not bad eh)
    ***************************************
    "rorschandt" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Ken Kobayashi <[email protected]> wrote in
    > news:[email protected]:
    >
    > > On Mon, 30 Jun 2003 18:44:15 -0400, "Joshua Goldberg" <[email protected]> wrote:
    > >>Note: it might get a tad confusing using the Name "Hurricane" for one of your China Mascot
    > >> bents. Not sure about how legal it is either. Re: Challenge Recumbents makes a "Hurricane"
    > >> model as well.
    > >
    > > Yeah I thought that too. I don't think "Typhoon" is taken.
    >
    > Schwinn. If that matters now. "Storm" is fine, too. How about "Monsoon"? "Deluge"? or "Pouring
    > Down Like a Cow Pissing on a Flat Rock"? Sort of
    long
    > I guess...
    >
    > Rorschandt
    > --
    > <A HREF="mailto:p[email protected][127.0.0.1]"

  14. Rorschandt

    Rorschandt Guest

    "Joshua Goldberg" <[email protected]> wrote in
    news:[email protected]:

    > **************************************
    > A good one in place of Hurricane might be the "SLASHER" a) because it contains my middle name
    > re: Asher (not Slash) and b) because it implies a cutting action as in cutting through the wind.
    > (not bad eh)
    > ***************************************

    Cutting wind, eh? How about the "Fart". Fast,usually silent, and sometimes deadly. When the new
    models,come out, you can advertise last year's models as The Old Farts! Or it could be an acronym
    like, Father of All Recumbent (some word beginning with T).

    --Rorschandt <A HREF="mailto:p[email protected][127.0.0.1]"

  15. Tom Sherman

    Tom Sherman Guest

    harv wrote:

    > Yeah, all hundred and six of them. <g>

    I doubt the combined production of ISO 305-mm/ISO 406-mm wheel size lowracers is greater than 50.
    There are 18 Sunsets known to exist [1]. Does anyone have the number of Pharobike Lowfats and ISO
    305-mm front wheel Ross Festine were made?

    [1] I believe that over half of them are in Illinois.

  16. Tom Thompson

    Tom Thompson Guest

    > Weird seeing my post from last year (below).
    > Note: it might get a tad confusing using the Name "Hurricane" for one of your China Mascot bents.
    > Not sure about how legal it is either. Re: Challenge Recumbents makes a "Hurricane" model as
    > well. I looked at the www.actionbent.com website and was impressed with an OSS @ only
    > $645.00....this should sell well. Bent riders can be a tough group to please, but $645.00
    > will soften up even the most critical in our group. Didn't China Mascot release a Titanium
    > Frame a few months ago?
    >
    > Oh and I almost forgot "Best of Luck" in your bent venture.
    > ---------------------------------------
    >I'm probably one of Randy's first customers. My Tidal Wave will jopin the
    TE in the stable sometime early next week. SO far, Randy has been pleasant and responsive to my
    questions, not to mention offering one of the best deals on a SWB USS in the USA right now.

    I'll post about the bike when it arrives and I get some seat time logged. One of the reasons I
    bought it was its utter difference from my Tour Easy and the potential of having a lightweight
    mid-hi BB climbing machine.

    Tom Thompson

  17. Tom Sherman <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > Randy Schulman wrote:
    > > ... The other two are versions of what I call "The Hurricane" (liked the sea-weather theme) ;
    > > One is an above-steering version of their PB960 with two major upgrades: A 20" front wheel
    > > instead of their 16" wheel; I think tiny wheels are deadly....
    >
    > You have just alienated the entire ownership of ISO 305-mm/ISO 406-mm wheel lowracers owners.
    >
    > Tom Sherman - Quad Cities Red Sunset and Blue Dragonflyer :)

    I own a couple 305/406 wheeled low racers and don't feel alienated by that statement. However just
    because one owns a Sunset doesn't mean it is their prefered ride. My Sunset is collecting dust and I
    consider it obsolete because my Bacchetta Aero with its dual 559 wheels is faster on level ground,
    faster up hill, faster down hill, smoother riding, better handling at high speeds, safer in traffic,
    lower rolling resistance, lighter, has a more efficient drivetrain and is better looking (all IMHO
    of course). As far as the wheel diameters go I'm really becoming a believer in bigger is better. The
    small wheeled compact lowracers like the Sunset only seem to have an advantage if the rider is short
    or is trying to transport it inside a small hatchback or a suitcase on an airplane.

    My Sunset does also have an edge over my Aero for practical transportation in terms of having a high
    capacity rear rack, mudguards, fat tyre clearances and disc brakes. However for practical
    transportation in the conditions where I'd need mudguards I prefer the added safety and stability of
    a trike and for transportation in dense urban areas I prefer the practicality and higher ride height
    of my HP Velotechnik Street Machine GT which has a 406mm front wheel, 559mm rear wheel and full
    suspension.

    The Sunset is still a very high quality bike with many nice features and was ahead of its time but I
    just don't see myself riding it much anymore.

    Zach Kaplan

  18. Tom Sherman

    Tom Sherman Guest

    Zach Kaplan Cycles wrote:

    > Tom Sherman <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > > Randy Schulman wrote:
    > > > ... The other two are versions of what I call "The Hurricane" (liked the sea-weather theme) ;
    > > > One is an above-steering version of their PB960 with two major upgrades: A 20" front wheel
    > > > instead of their 16" wheel; I think tiny wheels are deadly....
    > >
    > > You have just alienated the entire ownership of ISO 305-mm/ISO 406-mm wheel lowracers owners.
    > >
    > > Tom Sherman - Quad Cities Red Sunset and Blue Dragonflyer :)
    >
    > I own a couple 305/406 wheeled low racers and don't feel alienated by that statement. However just
    > because one owns a Sunset doesn't mean it is their prefered ride. My Sunset is collecting dust and
    > I consider it obsolete because my Bacchetta Aero with its dual 559 wheels is faster on level
    > ground, faster up hill, faster down hill, smoother riding, better handling at high speeds, safer
    > in traffic, lower rolling resistance, lighter, has a more efficient drivetrain and is better
    > looking (all IMHO of course). As far as the wheel diameters go I'm really becoming a believer in
    > bigger is better. The small wheeled compact lowracers like the Sunset only seem to have an
    > advantage if the rider is short or is trying to transport it inside a small hatchback or a
    > suitcase on an airplane.
    >
    > My Sunset does also have an edge over my Aero for practical transportation in terms of having a
    > high capacity rear rack, mudguards, fat tyre clearances and disc brakes. However for practical
    > transportation in the conditions where I'd need mudguards I prefer the added safety and stability
    > of a trike and for transportation in dense urban areas I prefer the practicality and higher ride
    > height of my HP Velotechnik Street Machine GT which has a 406mm front wheel, 559mm rear wheel and
    > full suspension.
    >
    > The Sunset is still a very high quality bike with many nice features and was ahead of its time but
    > I just don't see myself riding it much anymore.

    Zach,

    The comment about alienating small wheel lowracer owners was tongue in cheek - our numbers are
    so small as to be of little concern to the importer of bikes from what is presumably a
    high-volume factory.

    Did you decide to use ISO 559-mm wheels on your Aero for tire availability reasons, and do the
    brakes have enough adjustment to properly compensate for the 6 mm difference in wheel radius?

    Looks are subjective as I find the Aero a merely acceptable looking bike except for the "tweener"
    handlebars, which I would replace with narrow T-bars for aesthetic reasons if I bought one. I have
    also observed many women reacting to the Sunset in a manner similar to the way they would to a cute
    puppy or kitten which I do not see happening with an Aero.

    I do transport my Sunset inside a small hatchback on a regular basis and not having to do any
    assembly/disassembly is a positive attribute, as I find assembling and disassembling bikes on a
    regular basis to be a major PITA.

    Small wheels have a psychological advantage as most upright riders as consternated to find a bike
    with "kiddie wheels" going faster than they are. :)

    Finally, a lowracer will be more responsive than a highracer due to the shorter vertical moment arm
    between the tire contact patches and the center of gravity of the combined bike/rider. Whether or
    not this is an advantage will depend entirely on rider preference.

  19. Tom Sherman wrote:

    > Does anyone have the number of Pharobike Lowfats and ISO 305-mm front wheel Ross Festine
    > were made?

    Were there *any* 305-front Festinae? I'd be somewhat surprised coz 305 is a rare size over here and
    good tyres in it are very hard to find.

    http://www.bhpc.org.uk/

  20. John Olson

    John Olson Guest

    Dave Larrington wrote:
    > Tom Sherman wrote:
    >
    >> Does anyone have the number of Pharobike Lowfats and ISO 305-mm front wheel Ross Festine
    >> were made?
    >
    > Were there *any* 305-front Festinae? I'd be somewhat surprised coz 305 is a rare size over here
    > and good tyres in it are very hard to find.
    >
    > Dave Larrington - http://www.legslarry.beerdrinkers.co.uk/
    > http://www.bhpc.org.uk/

    I rode at least one of them, and vaguely recall seeing another being packaged for a customer. IIRC,
    it was just the last few that had 305's.

    Nobody said they they had good tyres :)

    Cheers

    John

    ---