Take that Schuey and Lance!

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by Ronde Champ, Jan 23, 2003.

  1. Ronde Champ

    Ronde Champ Guest

    You have to love Cipo. From cyclingnews.com:

    Mario Cipollini has responded to L'Equipe's recent naming of Formula 1 star Michael Schumacher as
    "Champion des champions" in typical style. Speaking at an end of year party held in his honour,
    Cipollini said that "Even though I wear the World Champion's jersey, I don't feel like a champion.
    However, he [Schumi] doesn't seem to me to have done any more than all those others who have
    achieved great things. Schumacher? Get on a bike and see how easy it is to win a race."

    "I consider that sport is a competition in which a men counts for more than half, and that half is
    equal for all men. If I got into a Ferrari, after two hours I would do better times than most
    other drivers."

    Finally, Cipollini commented on Lance Armstrong and his performances this year. "He is the greatest,
    huge, but for only three weeks. I have won from the beginning to the end of the season."

    Thanks,

    Ronde Champ

    Tags:

  2. "ronde champ" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > You have to love Cipo. From cyclingnews.com:
    >

    > Mario Cipollini has responded to L'Equipe's recent naming of Formula 1
    star
    > Michael Schumacher as "Champion des champions" in typical style. Speaking
    at
    > an end of year party held in his honour, Cipollini said that "Even though
    > wear the World Champion's jersey, I don't feel like a champion. However,
    he
    > [Schumi] doesn't seem to me to have done any more than all those others
    who
    > have achieved great things. Schumacher? Get on a bike and see how easy it
    is
    > to win a race."
    >
    > "I consider that sport is a competition in which a men counts for more
    than
    > half, and that half is equal for all men. If I got into a Ferrari, after
    two
    > hours I would do better times than most other drivers."

    If I had Cipo's leadout train, I would do better than most riders in a [flat] race.

  3. Comutrbob

    Comutrbob Guest

    >Finally, Cipollini commented on Lance Armstrong and his performances this year. "He is the
    >greatest, huge, but for only three weeks. I have won from the beginning to the end of the season."

    Well, except maybe for his mid-season retirement.

    And he seems to forget Amstel Gold, and all the other Spring classics where Lance rode in support of
    George. And he forgets the Dauphine and Midi whatever -- stage races that Lance also won.

    I think all the crap about Lance only being a 3-week racer is just that ... crap.

    Bob C.

  4. In article <[email protected]>, "ronde champ" <[email protected]> wrote:

    > You have to love Cipo. From cyclingnews.com:
    >

    > Mario Cipollini has responded to L'Equipe's recent naming of Formula 1 star Michael Schumacher as
    > "Champion des champions" in typical style. Speaking at an end of year party held in his honour,
    > Cipollini said that "Even though I wear the World Champion's jersey, I don't feel like a champion.
    > However, he [Schumi] doesn't seem to me to have done any more than all those others who have
    > achieved great things. Schumacher? Get on a bike and see how easy it is to win a race."
    >
    > "I consider that sport is a competition in which a men counts for more than half, and that half is
    > equal for all men. If I got into a Ferrari, after two hours I would do better times than most
    > other drivers."
    >
    > Finally, Cipollini commented on Lance Armstrong and his performances this year. "He is the
    > greatest, huge, but for only three weeks. I have won from the beginning to the end of the season."
    >

    > Thanks,
    >
    > Ronde Champ

    LOL, I agree, you have to love the guy- anyone who does a time trial wearing a tiger striped
    skin suit deserves our applause. He has a point. Let's face it, schumacher drives a car! As for
    lance, it's true he has a pretty short season. I personally respect the tough f*cks who go from
    feb to october!

  5. S. Anderson

    S. Anderson Guest

    I think the statement below shows a common ignorance regarding F1 and the like. I can assure you
    that after 2 hours in a Ferrari Cipo would likely be dead or at least leave steaming piles of broken
    (multimillion dollar) race cars in his wake. They are two different activities and cannot be so
    simply compared. I understand his sentiment, but this statement is ridiculous. As for Lance, sour
    grapes..Cipo's just mad he can't climb!! ;-)

    Cheers!

    Scott..
    --
    Scott Anderson

    "ronde champ" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > You have to love Cipo. From cyclingnews.com:

    <<snip..>>

    > "I consider that sport is a competition in which a men counts for more
    than
    > half, and that half is equal for all men. If I got into a Ferrari, after
    two
    > hours I would do better times than most other drivers."

    <<snip..>>

    > Thanks,
    >
    > Ronde Champ

  6. Bbc3

    Bbc3 Guest

    "Carl Sundquist" wrote:
    > If I had Cipo's leadout train, I would do better than most riders in a [flat] race.

    Not knowing your abilities Carl, and you lacking access to Cipollini's "train," perhaps we can leave
    this question in the "never gonna have the evidence to solve it" category?

    I think one of Cipollini's biggest strengths is that he is the type of leader that can organize his
    team and inspire them to do the best lead out they possibly can. Cipollini is arguably the best
    sprinter of our time, but he is also a candidate for the best team leader in cycling today.
    Sometimes a great athlete is also a great leader and can inspire their teammates them to perform at
    their best. I would place Cipollini on par with Lance Armstrong any day as a great athlete, although
    Lance falls into a distinct category as a man who battled illness to make his way back to the top of
    the sport. Hard to compare the two athletes in my opinion -- they are equally amazing.

    --
    Bill

  7. Ken Papai

    Ken Papai Guest

    "Carl Sundquist" <[email protected]@corp.supernews.com...

    > "ronde champ" <ronde_-d02.news.aol.com...
    > > You have to love Cipo. From cyclingnews.com:
    > >
    > > Mario Cipollini has responded to L'Equipe's recent naming of Formula 1
    > star
    > > Michael Schumacher as "Champion des champions" in typical style.
    Speaking
    > at
    > > an end of year party held in his honour, Cipollini said that "Even
    though
    > > wear the World Champion's jersey, I don't feel like a champion. However,
    > he
    > > [Schumi] doesn't seem to me to have done any more than all those others
    > who
    > > have achieved great things. Schumacher? Get on a bike and see how easy
    it
    > > is to win a race."

    Cipo's completely accurate. With F1 it's half driver (and only half of that aspect is being an
    "athlete") and half car/mechanics/personnel/image.

    > > "I consider that sport is a competition in which a men counts for more
    > than
    > > half, and that half is equal for all men. If I got into a Ferrari, after
    > two
    > > hours I would do better times than most other drivers."
    > >

    > If I had Cipo's leadout train, I would do better than most riders in a [flat] race.

    Carl, How would you get over the Poggio with the lead group then? How well could you hold and fight
    for the train's wheel after racing for 200K?

    -Ken

  8. Jtn

    Jtn Guest

    cipo is a stud. however, he does have a short memory. lance won "the" tour, and two other "small
    tours", and "the texas cyclecross race" in 2002. not jumping on the lance band wagon but if he were
    to switch his efforts over to one days races, cipo would never see lance in most races until
    watching the podium with lance on it from the locker room.

  9. "Carl Sundquist" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

    > If I had Cipo's leadout train, I would do better than most riders in a [flat] race.

    Carl,

    It's New Year's not April Fool's.

    James P. Spooner

  10. Robert Chung

    Robert Chung Guest

    "Carl Sundquist" <[email protected]> wrote
    > Upon reflection and with due respect to Cipo, maybe he meant if he got
    into
    > a Ferrari after two hours he would do better times than most other drivers in the population. If
    > he meant other F-1 drivers, his statement is just
    more
    > attention gathering b.s.

    He probably meant that after a couple of hours in a Ferrari, he'd do better than Dennis Barnhart,
    best known as the CEO of one of Silicon Valley's first PC-clone makers. On the day his firm had
    its IPO, his net worth went up by about $10 million (and that was in the early 1980's, when a
    million was a million). He went over to the Ferrari dealership in Los Gatos, bought a 308, filled
    his nose with celebration candy, and four hours later went through a guardrail and died at the
    bottom of a ravine.

  11. Tony Szurly

    Tony Szurly Guest

    Carl Sundquist wrote:

    > Just like Cipo in a Ferrari. Take it for what it's worth.
    >
    > Maybe he can get his buddy Briatore to squeeze him into a Renault and see how his lap times are.
    > Then again, maybe Briatore figures it isn't worth the effort.

    Except Cipo already owns a Ferrari.

  12. Ken Papai

    Ken Papai Guest

    "warren" <[email protected]%[email protected]
    > In article <[email protected]>, Ken Papai
    >
    > > "Carl Sundquist" <[email protected]@corp.supernews.com...
    >
    > > > If I had Cipo's leadout train, I would do better than most riders in a [flat] race.
    > >
    > > Carl, How would you get over the Poggio with the lead group then? How well could you hold and
    > > fight for the train's wheel after racing for 200K?
    >
    > Carl wasn't referring to his results in a WC race. Carl would do better in "a" flat race (like
    > Santa Rosa Criterium) with Cipo's train.

    After a whole 50 minutes of racing? ;-)

    -Ken

  13. Robert Chung wrote:

    > He probably meant that after a couple of hours in a Ferrari, he'd do better than Dennis Barnhart,
    > best known as the CEO of one of Silicon Valley's first PC-clone makers. On the day his firm had
    > its IPO, his net worth went up by about $10 million (and that was in the early 1980's, when a
    > million was a million). He went over to the Ferrari dealership in Los Gatos, bought a 308, filled
    > his nose with celebration candy, and four hours later went through a guardrail and died at the
    > bottom of a ravine.

    Darwin Award?

  14. "Tony Szurly" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

    > > Just like Cipo in a Ferrari. Take it for what it's worth.
    > >
    > > Maybe he can get his buddy Briatore to squeeze him into a Renault and see how his lap times are.
    > > Then again, maybe Briatore figures it isn't worth the effort.
    >

    > Except Cipo already owns a Ferrari.

    But not one of _those_ Ferraris.

    BTW, how ludicrous (as if it wasn't ludicrous enough already), would Cipo's statement sound if it
    came out of Pantani's mouth?

  15. Tony Szurly

    Tony Szurly Guest

    Carl Sundquist wrote:

    > "Tony Szurly" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    >
    > > > Just like Cipo in a Ferrari. Take it for what it's worth.
    > > >
    > > > Maybe he can get his buddy Briatore to squeeze him into a Renault and see how his lap times
    > > > are. Then again, maybe Briatore figures it isn't worth the effort.
    > >

    > > Except Cipo already owns a Ferrari.
    >
    > But not one of _those_ Ferraris.
    >
    > BTW, how ludicrous (as if it wasn't ludicrous enough already), would Cipo's statement sound if it
    > came out of Pantani's mouth?

    Do you think there could possibly be any Italian least likely to be given permission to get behind
    the wheel of a Ferrari F1 car than "Demolition Man" Pantani?

    I'd like to see a two-event omnium. Cipo and Schumacher 20 laps in the car and 2 laps on the bike.
    Doesn't Schumi already own one of those Colnago Ferrari C35's?

    Tiebreaker is net worth.

  16. Robert Chung

    Robert Chung Guest

  17. Tony Szurly

    Tony Szurly Guest

    Robert Chung wrote:

    > "Tony Szurly" <[email protected]> wrote
    > > Do you think there could possibly be any Italian least likely to be given permission to get
    > > behind the wheel of a Ferrari F1 car than "Demolition Man" Pantani?
    >
    > http://www.cyclingnews.com/photos/2000/nov00/pantani.shtml

    Caption from photo link above: "Italian cycling star, and former Tour de France and Giro d'Italia
    winner Marco Pantani (C) shakes hands with a police officer at the accident site. Pantani smashed
    into eight cars during a one-hour drive while steering his Mercedes M Class car (behind) in Cesena,
    November 3, 2000. This was Pantani's fourth car accident within one year."

    "Well you see Officer, I was just checking the ground clearance on my new minivan here and..."
    Shaking hands with the police officer? Could there have been a little money or at least a few
    coupons to the old panini shack greasing the palm there? He smashed into eight cars during a one
    hour drive. All eight cars ar once or one every 7.5 minutes?

  18. Robert Chung

    Robert Chung Guest

    "Tony Szurly" <[email protected]> wrote
    > He smashed into eight cars during a one hour drive. All eight cars ar once or one every 7.5
    > minutes?

    More like the latter. From http://www.cyclingnews.com/results/2000/nov00/nov4news.shtml "Marco
    Pantani has once again been involved in a car accident, crashing and writing off his Mercedes in the
    town of Cesena. The Pirate was driving at speed the wrong way up a one-way street, before he struck
    some parked cars and then hit someone's porch. He was trapped inside the vehicle for some time,
    before being aided by a passer by, who noted he wasn't wearing a seatbelt. However, he was not
    seriously injured and refused to go to hospital after the incident. This is his third traffic
    accident of the year."

    And from the following day http://www.cyclingnews.com/results/2000/nov00/nov5news.shtml "More
    details have been revealed about Marco Pantani's spectacular auto accident in Cesena yesterday, when
    he destroyed his car (and several others) driving the wrong way up a one way street. Within a one
    hour period, he managed to damage eight cars in separate accidents. "On Friday morning, left his
    house in Cesenatico to travel to a police station in Cesena in order to renew his passport. On the
    way in he hit one car, followed by another on leaving the parking lot. The owner was a little
    disgruntled but Pantani continued on. Then came the one way street incident, where he apparently
    misread the sign and found himself travelling towards a delivery van at high speed. He swerved but
    hit it and then another car which propelled him on the roof of a third car, destroyed in the
    process. Three more cars were subsequently damaged.

    "He was comparatively unhurt, and refused to go to hospital although he did wait for the police. He
    then took a taxi back home to Cesenatico.

    "I made an error because I was distracted, and the road changed into a one way street," he said. He
    did not take a breath test "because it was noon and no-one asked me for it."

    Pantani's manager, Manuela Ronchi, said that this incident could ruin Pantani's image, saying that
    "Marco is distracted by the constant
    psychological trauma that he is enduring."

  19. Tritonrider

    Tritonrider Guest

    >From: [email protected] (Marlene Blanshay)

    >LOL, I agree, you have to love the guy- anyone who does a time trial wearing a tiger striped
    >skin suit deserves our applause. He has a point. Let's face it, schumacher drives a car! As for
    >lance, it's true he has a pretty short season. I personally respect the tough f*cks who go from
    >feb to october!

    Is there any doubt that Museeuw is the tougest SOB riding a bike anywhere. Mario may be a stud, but
    Museeuw is the MAN.

    Bill C.

  20. Gibben

    Gibben Guest

    [email protected] (TritonRider) wrote:

    >>I personally respect the tough f*cks who go from feb to october!
    >
    >Is there any doubt that Museeuw is the tougest SOB riding a bike anywhere. Mario may be a stud, but
    >Museeuw is the MAN.

    Right on the money! I respect Mario and Lance, they are both very impressive in each of their
    fields... But to see Museeuw break his opponents into little bits and cross the line mudcovered
    from head to toe, looking like the baddest MF around (eating cold gravel for breakfast) - and
    then transforming into this modest, likable guy once the dirt and sunglasses come off, just takes
    the prize!
    --
    Simon Kvindal | __o
    | _`\ \_
    "If the shoe fits, buy it" - Imelda Marcos | (_)/ (_)