Take that Schuey and Lance!

Ronde Champ

Guest
You have to love Cipo. From cyclingnews.com:

Mario Cipollini has responded to L'Equipe's recent naming of Formula 1 star Michael Schumacher as
"Champion des champions" in typical style. Speaking at an end of year party held in his honour,
Cipollini said that "Even though I wear the World Champion's jersey, I don't feel like a champion.
However, he [Schumi] doesn't seem to me to have done any more than all those others who have
achieved great things. Schumacher? Get on a bike and see how easy it is to win a race."

"I consider that sport is a competition in which a men counts for more than half, and that half is
equal for all men. If I got into a Ferrari, after two hours I would do better times than most
other drivers."

Finally, Cipollini commented on Lance Armstrong and his performances this year. "He is the greatest,
huge, but for only three weeks. I have won from the beginning to the end of the season."

Thanks,

Ronde Champ

"ronde champ" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> You have to love Cipo. From cyclingnews.com:
>

> Mario Cipollini has responded to L'Equipe's recent naming of Formula 1
star
> Michael Schumacher as "Champion des champions" in typical style. Speaking
at
> an end of year party held in his honour, Cipollini said that "Even though
> wear the World Champion's jersey, I don't feel like a champion. However,
he
> [Schumi] doesn't seem to me to have done any more than all those others
who
> have achieved great things. Schumacher? Get on a bike and see how easy it
is
> to win a race."
>
> "I consider that sport is a competition in which a men counts for more
than
> half, and that half is equal for all men. If I got into a Ferrari, after
two
> hours I would do better times than most other drivers."

If I had Cipo's leadout train, I would do better than most riders in a [flat] race.

>Finally, Cipollini commented on Lance Armstrong and his performances this year. "He is the
>greatest, huge, but for only three weeks. I have won from the beginning to the end of the season."

Well, except maybe for his mid-season retirement.

And he seems to forget Amstel Gold, and all the other Spring classics where Lance rode in support of
George. And he forgets the Dauphine and Midi whatever -- stage races that Lance also won.

I think all the **** about Lance only being a 3-week racer is just that ... ****.

Bob C.

In article <[email protected]>, "ronde champ" <[email protected]> wrote:

> You have to love Cipo. From cyclingnews.com:
>

> Mario Cipollini has responded to L'Equipe's recent naming of Formula 1 star Michael Schumacher as
> "Champion des champions" in typical style. Speaking at an end of year party held in his honour,
> Cipollini said that "Even though I wear the World Champion's jersey, I don't feel like a champion.
> However, he [Schumi] doesn't seem to me to have done any more than all those others who have
> achieved great things. Schumacher? Get on a bike and see how easy it is to win a race."
>
> "I consider that sport is a competition in which a men counts for more than half, and that half is
> equal for all men. If I got into a Ferrari, after two hours I would do better times than most
> other drivers."
>
> Finally, Cipollini commented on Lance Armstrong and his performances this year. "He is the
> greatest, huge, but for only three weeks. I have won from the beginning to the end of the season."
>

> Thanks,
>
> Ronde Champ

LOL, I agree, you have to love the guy- anyone who does a time trial wearing a tiger striped
skin suit deserves our applause. He has a point. Let's face it, schumacher drives a car! As for
lance, it's true he has a pretty short season. I personally respect the tough f*cks who go from
feb to october!

I think the statement below shows a common ignorance regarding F1 and the like. I can assure you
that after 2 hours in a Ferrari Cipo would likely be dead or at least leave steaming piles of broken
(multimillion dollar) race cars in his wake. They are two different activities and cannot be so
simply compared. I understand his sentiment, but this statement is ridiculous. As for Lance, sour
grapes..Cipo's just mad he can't climb!! ;-)

Cheers!

Scott..
--
Scott Anderson

"ronde champ" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> You have to love Cipo. From cyclingnews.com:

<<snip..>>

"Carl Sundquist" wrote:
> If I had Cipo's leadout train, I would do better than most riders in a [flat] race.

Not knowing your abilities Carl, and you lacking access to Cipollini's "train," perhaps we can leave
this question in the "never gonna have the evidence to solve it" category?

I think one of Cipollini's biggest strengths is that he is the type of leader that can organize his
team and inspire them to do the best lead out they possibly can. Cipollini is arguably the best
sprinter of our time, but he is also a candidate for the best team leader in cycling today.
Sometimes a great athlete is also a great leader and can inspire their teammates them to perform at
their best. I would place Cipollini on par with Lance Armstrong any day as a great athlete, although
Lance falls into a distinct category as a man who battled illness to make his way back to the top of
the sport. Hard to compare the two athletes in my opinion -- they are equally amazing.

--
Bill

"Carl Sundquist" <carlsun@[email protected]...

> "ronde champ" <ronde_-d02.news.aol.com...
> > You have to love Cipo. From cyclingnews.com:
> >
> > Mario Cipollini has responded to L'Equipe's recent naming of Formula 1
> star
> > Michael Schumacher as "Champion des champions" in typical style.
Speaking
> at
> > an end of year party held in his honour, Cipollini said that "Even
though
> > wear the World Champion's jersey, I don't feel like a champion. However,
> he
> > [Schumi] doesn't seem to me to have done any more than all those others
> who
> > have achieved great things. Schumacher? Get on a bike and see how easy
it
> > is to win a race."

Cipo's completely accurate. With F1 it's half driver (and only half of that aspect is being an
"athlete") and half car/mechanics/personnel/image.

> > "I consider that sport is a competition in which a men counts for more
> than
> > half, and that half is equal for all men. If I got into a Ferrari, after
> two
> > hours I would do better times than most other drivers."
> >

> If I had Cipo's leadout train, I would do better than most riders in a [flat] race.

Carl, How would you get over the Poggio with the lead group then? How well could you hold and fight
for the train's wheel after racing for 200K?

-Ken

cipo is a stud. however, he does have a short memory. lance won "the" tour, and two other "small
tours", and "the texas cyclecross race" in 2002. not jumping on the lance band wagon but if he were
to switch his efforts over to one days races, cipo would never see lance in most races until
watching the podium with lance on it from the locker room.

"Carl Sundquist" <[email protected]> wrote
> Upon reflection and with due respect to Cipo, maybe he meant if he got
into
> a Ferrari after two hours he would do better times than most other drivers in the population. If
> he meant other F-1 drivers, his statement is just
more
> attention gathering b.s.

He probably meant that after a couple of hours in a Ferrari, he'd do better than Dennis Barnhart,
best known as the CEO of one of Silicon Valley's first PC-clone makers. On the day his firm had
its IPO, his net worth went up by about $10 million (and that was in the early 1980's, when a
million was a million). He went over to the Ferrari dealership in Los Gatos, bought a 308, filled
his nose with celebration candy, and four hours later went through a guardrail and died at the
bottom of a ravine.

Carl Sundquist wrote:

> Just like Cipo in a Ferrari. Take it for what it's worth.
>
> Maybe he can get his buddy Briatore to squeeze him into a Renault and see how his lap times are.
> Then again, maybe Briatore figures it isn't worth the effort.

Except Cipo already owns a Ferrari.

"warren" <warren@%[email protected]...
> In article <EakQ9.576186$QZ.82620@sccrnsc02>, Ken Papai
>
> > "Carl Sundquist" <carlsun@[email protected]...
>
> > > If I had Cipo's leadout train, I would do better than most riders in a [flat] race.
> >
> > Carl, How would you get over the Poggio with the lead group then? How well could you hold and
> > fight for the train's wheel after racing for 200K?
>
> Carl wasn't referring to his results in a WC race. Carl would do better in "a" flat race (like
> Santa Rosa Criterium) with Cipo's train.

After a whole 50 minutes of racing? ;-)

-Ken

Robert Chung wrote:

> He probably meant that after a couple of hours in a Ferrari, he'd do better than Dennis Barnhart,
> best known as the CEO of one of Silicon Valley's first PC-clone makers. On the day his firm had
> its IPO, his net worth went up by about $10 million (and that was in the early 1980's, when a
> million was a million). He went over to the Ferrari dealership in Los Gatos, bought a 308, filled
> his nose with celebration candy, and four hours later went through a guardrail and died at the
> bottom of a ravine.

Darwin Award?

"Tony Szurly" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

> > Just like Cipo in a Ferrari. Take it for what it's worth.
> >
> > Maybe he can get his buddy Briatore to squeeze him into a Renault and see how his lap times are.
> > Then again, maybe Briatore figures it isn't worth the effort.
>

> Except Cipo already owns a Ferrari.

But not one of _those_ Ferraris.

BTW, how ludicrous (as if it wasn't ludicrous enough already), would Cipo's statement sound if it
came out of Pantani's mouth?

Carl Sundquist wrote:

> "Tony Szurly" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
>
> > > Just like Cipo in a Ferrari. Take it for what it's worth.
> > >
> > > Maybe he can get his buddy Briatore to squeeze him into a Renault and see how his lap times
> > > are. Then again, maybe Briatore figures it isn't worth the effort.
> >

> > Except Cipo already owns a Ferrari.
>
> But not one of _those_ Ferraris.
>
> BTW, how ludicrous (as if it wasn't ludicrous enough already), would Cipo's statement sound if it
> came out of Pantani's mouth?

Do you think there could possibly be any Italian least likely to be given permission to get behind
the wheel of a Ferrari F1 car than "Demolition Man" Pantani?

I'd like to see a two-event omnium. Cipo and Schumacher 20 laps in the car and 2 laps on the bike.
Doesn't Schumi already own one of those Colnago Ferrari C35's?

Tiebreaker is net worth.

Robert Chung wrote:

> "Tony Szurly" <[email protected]> wrote
> > Do you think there could possibly be any Italian least likely to be given permission to get
> > behind the wheel of a Ferrari F1 car than "Demolition Man" Pantani?
>
> http://www.cyclingnews.com/photos/2000/nov00/pantani.shtml

Caption from photo link above: "Italian cycling star, and former Tour de France and Giro d'Italia
winner Marco Pantani (C) shakes hands with a police officer at the accident site. Pantani smashed
into eight cars during a one-hour drive while steering his Mercedes M Class car (behind) in Cesena,
November 3, 2000. This was Pantani's fourth car accident within one year."

"Well you see Officer, I was just checking the ground clearance on my new minivan here and..."
Shaking hands with the police officer? Could there have been a little money or at least a few
coupons to the old panini shack greasing the palm there? He smashed into eight cars during a one
hour drive. All eight cars ar once or one every 7.5 minutes?

"Tony Szurly" <[email protected]> wrote
> He smashed into eight cars during a one hour drive. All eight cars ar once or one every 7.5
> minutes?

More like the latter. From http://www.cyclingnews.com/results/2000/nov00/nov4news.shtml "Marco
Pantani has once again been involved in a car accident, crashing and writing off his Mercedes in the
town of Cesena. The Pirate was driving at speed the wrong way up a one-way street, before he struck
some parked cars and then hit someone's porch. He was trapped inside the vehicle for some time,
before being aided by a passer by, who noted he wasn't wearing a seatbelt. However, he was not
seriously injured and refused to go to hospital after the incident. This is his third traffic
accident of the year."

And from the following day http://www.cyclingnews.com/results/2000/nov00/nov5news.shtml "More
details have been revealed about Marco Pantani's spectacular auto accident in Cesena yesterday, when
he destroyed his car (and several others) driving the wrong way up a one way street. Within a one
hour period, he managed to damage eight cars in separate accidents. "On Friday morning, left his
house in Cesenatico to travel to a police station in Cesena in order to renew his passport. On the
way in he hit one car, followed by another on leaving the parking lot. The owner was a little
disgruntled but Pantani continued on. Then came the one way street incident, where he apparently
misread the sign and found himself travelling towards a delivery van at high speed. He swerved but
hit it and then another car which propelled him on the roof of a third car, destroyed in the
process. Three more cars were subsequently damaged.

"He was comparatively unhurt, and refused to go to hospital although he did wait for the police. He
then took a taxi back home to Cesenatico.

"I made an error because I was distracted, and the road changed into a one way street," he said. He
did not take a breath test "because it was noon and no-one asked me for it."

Pantani's manager, Manuela Ronchi, said that this incident could ruin Pantani's image, saying that
"Marco is distracted by the constant
psychological trauma that he is enduring."

>From: [email protected] (Marlene Blanshay)

>LOL, I agree, you have to love the guy- anyone who does a time trial wearing a tiger striped
>skin suit deserves our applause. He has a point. Let's face it, schumacher drives a car! As for
>lance, it's true he has a pretty short season. I personally respect the tough f*cks who go from
>feb to october!

Is there any doubt that Museeuw is the tougest SOB riding a bike anywhere. Mario may be a stud, but
Museeuw is the MAN.

Bill C.

[email protected] (TritonRider) wrote:

>>I personally respect the tough f*cks who go from feb to october!
>
>Is there any doubt that Museeuw is the tougest SOB riding a bike anywhere. Mario may be a stud, but
>Museeuw is the MAN.

Right on the money! I respect Mario and Lance, they are both very impressive in each of their
fields... But to see Museeuw break his opponents into little bits and cross the line mudcovered
from head to toe, looking like the baddest MF around (eating cold gravel for breakfast) - and
then transforming into this modest, likable guy once the dirt and sunglasses come off, just takes
the prize!
--
Simon Kvindal | __o
| _`\ \_
"If the shoe fits, buy it" - Imelda Marcos | (_)/ (_)