Take that! You smelly Fifi la Phew!

Discussion in 'Food and nutrition' started by Doug Kanter, Dec 19, 2005.

  1. Doug Kanter

    Doug Kanter Guest

    "The Ranger" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > Imagine, if you will, going out to a top-shelf restaurant for an
    > evening of pleasant dining, quiet socializing, and orgasmic
    > tasting of foods you might not prepare at home even on special
    > occasions.
    >
    > You're reservations are confirmed. You are set to experience The
    > Perfect Evening.
    >
    > You arrive and check in at the maitre d's station. "Yes, party of
    > two, seven o'clock. Right this way." You are seated at the prime
    > table; a window view of a scenic vista that capture the very
    > essence of what you were expecting. Linen and crystal, china and
    > silver are laid out with scientific precision. Menus are set in
    > front of you and cocktails are ordered.
    >
    > You are awed and inspired by the chef's cunning and imagination.
    > Each plate, from the appetizers to the main course, is described
    > with such passion and detail that you are tasting them
    > metaphysically. Decisions are made.
    >
    > You look about the restaurant and notice that there are several
    > previously occupied tables about, each discreetly distant. The
    > closest table is another prime location, behind your dining guest;
    > a duce, which is unoccupied.
    >
    > Your server stops by with your cocktails and you place your order.
    > He comments about the excellent choices and suggests a style of
    > wine and vineyard. Sold.
    >
    > You turn to your dining companion and are enjoying the view, the
    > music, the conversation. The appetizer is brought and set down.
    > The medley of aromas create a symphony of senses that Bach
    > couldn't compete against. The sweet smell of caramelized leek. The
    > subtleness of nutmeg. The tantalizing spice of cinnamon. You are
    > about to bite into the scallop and see if the taste and texture
    > match your scent-imagined taste buds when another, more cloying
    > stench washes over your table.
    >
    > You pull back and look at the food on your fork. Your sinus
    > passage goes numb. You notice your companion holding her napkin
    > discretely over her nose and looking at the duce that is now
    > occupied.
    >
    > Another couple has been seated. They are older and established,
    > given their dress. The matron, unfortunately, has bathed in
    > something that announces her presence long before she arrives,
    > though. She is completely oblivious to how she appears or what it
    > is doing to those around her.
    >
    > What do you do in this situation?
    >
    > The Ranger

    Move to another table, no matter how inconvenient. And, if you're really in
    a mood, write a little note to the cow wearing the perfume, and explain her
    crime to her. Drop it on her table as you leave.

    Tags:

  2. The Ranger

    The Ranger Guest

[...]

  3. Dimitri

    Dimitri Guest

    "The Ranger" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]

    <snip>

    > Another couple has been seated. They are older and established,
    > given their dress. The matron, unfortunately, has bathed in
    > something that announces her presence long before she arrives,
    > though. She is completely oblivious to how she appears or what it
    > is doing to those around her.
    >
    > What do you do in this situation?
    >
    > The Ranger

    Explain that you have an allergy and ask to be reseated.

    Dimitri

  4. Puester

    Puester Guest

    The Ranger wrote:
    > Imagine, if you will, going out to a top-shelf restaurant for an
    > evening of pleasant dining, quiet socializing, and orgasmic
    > tasting of foods you might not prepare at home even on special
    > occasions.

    > Another couple has been seated. They are older and established,
    > given their dress. The matron, unfortunately, has bathed in
    > something that announces her presence long before she arrives,
    > though. She is completely oblivious to how she appears or what it
    > is doing to those around her.
    >
    > What do you do in this situation?
    >
    > The Ranger

    I can't offer you better sugestions than you have already received,
    but you have my sympathy.

    gloria p

  5. In article <[email protected]>,
    The Ranger <[email protected]> wrote:

    > Imagine, if you will, going out to a top-shelf restaurant for an
    > evening of pleasant dining, quiet socializing, and orgasmic
    > tasting of foods you might not prepare at home even on special
    > occasions.
    >
    > You're reservations are confirmed. You are set to experience The
    > Perfect Evening.
    >
    > You arrive and check in at the maitre d's station. "Yes, party of
    > two, seven o'clock. Right this way." You are seated at the prime
    > table; a window view of a scenic vista that capture the very
    > essence of what you were expecting. Linen and crystal, china and
    > silver are laid out with scientific precision. Menus are set in
    > front of you and cocktails are ordered.
    >
    > You are awed and inspired by the chef's cunning and imagination.
    > Each plate, from the appetizers to the main course, is described
    > with such passion and detail that you are tasting them
    > metaphysically. Decisions are made.
    >
    > You look about the restaurant and notice that there are several
    > previously occupied tables about, each discreetly distant. The
    > closest table is another prime location, behind your dining guest;
    > a duce, which is unoccupied.
    >
    > Your server stops by with your cocktails and you place your order.
    > He comments about the excellent choices and suggests a style of
    > wine and vineyard. Sold.
    >
    > You turn to your dining companion and are enjoying the view, the
    > music, the conversation. The appetizer is brought and set down.
    > The medley of aromas create a symphony of senses that Bach
    > couldn't compete against. The sweet smell of caramelized leek. The
    > subtleness of nutmeg. The tantalizing spice of cinnamon. You are
    > about to bite into the scallop and see if the taste and texture
    > match your scent-imagined taste buds when another, more cloying
    > stench washes over your table.
    >
    > You pull back and look at the food on your fork. Your sinus
    > passage goes numb. You notice your companion holding her napkin
    > discretely over her nose and looking at the duce that is now
    > occupied.
    >
    > Another couple has been seated. They are older and established,
    > given their dress. The matron, unfortunately, has bathed in
    > something that announces her presence long before she arrives,
    > though. She is completely oblivious to how she appears or what it
    > is doing to those around her.
    >
    > What do you do in this situation?
    >
    > The Ranger

    Discreetly ask to be seated elsewhere, as far away as possible...

    and tell them why.
    --
    Om.

  6. On Mon, 19 Dec 2005 08:39:38 -0800, The Ranger
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    > You pull back and look at the food on your fork. Your sinus
    > passage goes numb. You notice your companion holding her napkin
    > discretely over her nose and looking at the duce that is now
    > occupied.
    >
    > Another couple has been seated. They are older and established,
    > given their dress. The matron, unfortunately, has bathed in
    > something that announces her presence long before she arrives,
    > though. She is completely oblivious to how she appears or what it
    > is doing to those around her.
    >
    > What do you do in this situation?

    Start sneezing violently and ask to be moved.

    The woman isn't giong to change her way of doing things, so the best
    you can do is flee. Sucks.

    Carol

  7. jmcquown

    jmcquown Guest

    The Ranger wrote:
    > Imagine, if you will, going out to a top-shelf restaurant for an
    > evening of pleasant dining, quiet socializing, and orgasmic
    > tasting of foods you might not prepare at home even on special
    > occasions.
    >
    > Another couple has been seated. They are older and established,
    > given their dress. The matron, unfortunately, has bathed in
    > something that announces her presence long before she arrives,
    > though. She is completely oblivious to how she appears or what it
    > is doing to those around her.
    >
    > What do you do in this situation?
    >
    > The Ranger

    Obviously ask to be moved to another table, stunning view or not. As
    someone else said, you aren't going to get the "matron" to change her ways
    and even if you could, I doubt they would have offered to let her take a
    shower. At least you didn't get stuck in an elevator with her ;)

    Jill

  8. A.C.

    A.C. Guest

    Dimitri wrote:

    > The Ranger wrote:
    >
    > <snip>
    >
    > > Another couple has been seated. They are older and established,
    > > given their dress. The matron, unfortunately, has bathed in
    > > something that announces her presence long before she arrives,
    > > though. She is completely oblivious to how she appears or what it
    > > is doing to those around her.
    > >
    > > What do you do in this situation?
    > >
    > > The Ranger

    > Explain that you have an allergy and ask to be reseated.
    >
    > Dimitri

    great idea. you get reseated and the purfume factory can stink up the part of
    the restaurant that you're not in. :)

  9. Sheldon

    Sheldon Guest

    jmcquown wrote:
    > The Ranger wrote:
    > > Imagine, if you will, going out to a top-shelf restaurant for an
    > > evening of pleasant dining, quiet socializing, and orgasmic
    > > tasting of foods you might not prepare at home even on special
    > > occasions.
    > >
    > > Another couple has been seated. They are older and established,
    > > given their dress. The matron, unfortunately, has bathed in
    > > something that announces her presence long before she arrives,
    > > though. She is completely oblivious to how she appears or what it
    > > is doing to those around her.
    > >
    > > What do you do in this situation?
    > >
    > > The Ranger

    > Obviously ask to be moved to another table, stunning view or not. As
    > someone else said, you aren't going to get the "matron" to change her ways
    > and even if you could, I doubt they would have offered to let her take a
    > shower. At least you didn't get stuck in an elevator with her ;)

    Perhaps be thankful for her bouquet garni... she may not have bathed
    for a year... if she's italian be particularly thinkful she doesn't
    spread her legs. <heehee>

    Sheldon Lysol

  10. notbob

    notbob Guest

    On 2005-12-19, The Ranger <[email protected]> wrote:

    > What do you do in this situation?

    Kindly inform the douche she smells like the shithouse door on a
    beached tuna boat and reeks so bad she could gag a maggot and ask her
    to move downwind.

    nb

  11. Dimitri

    Dimitri Guest

    "A.C." <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]

    > Dimitri wrote:
    >
    >> The Ranger wrote:
    >>
    >> <snip>
    >>
    >> > Another couple has been seated. They are older and established,
    >> > given their dress. The matron, unfortunately, has bathed in
    >> > something that announces her presence long before she arrives,
    >> > though. She is completely oblivious to how she appears or what it
    >> > is doing to those around her.
    >> >
    >> > What do you do in this situation?
    >> >
    >> > The Ranger

    >> Explain that you have an allergy and ask to be reseated.
    >>
    >> Dimitri
    >>

    > great idea. you get reseated and the purfume factory can stink up the part of
    > the restaurant that you're not in. :)

    I am more than serious - There are several Mall (candle type) stored I can not
    walk into.

    Dimitri

  12. Chris

    Chris Guest

    "notbob" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > On 2005-12-19, The Ranger <[email protected]> wrote:
    >>
    >> What do you do in this situation?

    > Kindly inform the douche she smells like the shithouse door on a
    > beached tuna boat and reeks so bad she could gag a maggot and ask her
    > to move downwind.

    Funny, that is *exactly* what I was going to suggest.

    Seriously, in that situation, I would have to ask to be moved. Last time I
    took one of my kids to the allergist's office, a woman in the waiting room
    simply reeked of perfume. It was so strong that we first smelled it when we
    came out of the doctor's inner office and walked through to the front
    waiting room. The allergist came over and asked the perp (quietly) not to
    wear that perfume again to their office.

    Meanwhile, I have stopped scheduling early a.m. appointments with my
    dentist. He arrives at the office freshly groomed, after having perfumed
    and sprayed and moussed every square inch of himself. And then he insists
    on giving each patient a big bear hug, which leaves you smelling like him
    for the rest of the day. Yeccch. He's much easier to tolerate later in the
    day.

    Most perfume really bothers me in large doses...some of it, in small doses!

    Sorry your dinner was ruined, Steve (but you wrote about it beautifully --
    at least, I assume it was your dinner!). What did you do?

  13. elaine

    elaine Guest

    " <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > The Ranger wrote:
    >> Imagine, if you will, going out to a top-shelf restaurant for an
    >> evening of pleasant dining, quiet socializing, and orgasmic
    >> tasting of foods you might not prepare at home even on special
    >> occasions.
    >>
    >> Another couple has been seated. They are older and established,
    >> given their dress. The matron, unfortunately, has bathed in
    >> something that announces her presence long before she arrives,
    >> though. She is completely oblivious to how she appears or what it
    >> is doing to those around her.
    >>
    >> What do you do in this situation?
    >>
    >> The Ranger

    > Obviously ask to be moved to another table, stunning view or not. As
    > someone else said, you aren't going to get the "matron" to change her ways
    > and even if you could, I doubt they would have offered to let her take a
    > shower. At least you didn't get stuck in an elevator with her ;)
    >
    > Jill

    No - why should they have to move. Explain (with vigor) the problem with
    the smelly woman. And suggest ever so strongly that she (they) should be
    reseated.

    If that is not a possibility perhaps get a rain check (free meal?) for
    another time.

    That would be my request.

    Elaine

  14. Dee Randall

    Dee Randall Guest

    "Dimitri" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]

    > "A.C." <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]
    >>
    >> Dimitri wrote:
    >>
    >> great idea. you get reseated and the purfume factory can stink up the
    >> part of
    >> the restaurant that you're not in. :)

    > I am more than serious - There are several Mall (candle type) stored I can
    > not walk into.
    >
    > Dimitri

    I hold my breath as I go by them.
    Seriously,
    Dee Dee

  15. ~patches~

    ~patches~ Guest

    Dimitri wrote:

    > "A.C." <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]
    >
    >>Dimitri wrote:
    >>

    >>>The Ranger wrote:
    >>>
    >>><snip>

    >>>Explain that you have an allergy and ask to be reseated.
    >>>
    >>>Dimitri
    >>>

    >>great idea. you get reseated and the purfume factory can stink up the part of
    >>the restaurant that you're not in. :)

    > I am more than serious - There are several Mall (candle type) stored I can not
    > walk into.
    >
    > Dimitri

    I'm the same way Dimitri. This time of year is pure heck with all the
    extra Christmas smells. Visiting during the holiday season is always
    horrid with all the scented candles et al. Scent allergies and/or
    sensitivities are a real pain to deal with because it is almost
    impossible to go into a scent free environment anymore.

  16. In article <[email protected]>,
    The Ranger <[email protected]> wrote:

    > Imagine, if you will, going out to a top-shelf restaurant for an
    > evening of pleasant dining, quiet socializing, and orgasmic
    > tasting of foods you might not prepare at home even on special
    > occasions.
    >
    > You're reservations are confirmed. You are set to experience The
    > Perfect Evening.
    >
    > You arrive and check in at the maitre d's station. "Yes, party of
    > two, seven o'clock. Right this way." You are seated at the prime
    > table; a window view of a scenic vista that capture the very
    > essence of what you were expecting. Linen and crystal, china and
    > silver are laid out with scientific precision. Menus are set in
    > front of you and cocktails are ordered.
    >
    > You are awed and inspired by the chef's cunning and imagination.
    > Each plate, from the appetizers to the main course, is described
    > with such passion and detail that you are tasting them
    > metaphysically. Decisions are made.
    >
    > You look about the restaurant and notice that there are several
    > previously occupied tables about, each discreetly distant. The
    > closest table is another prime location, behind your dining guest;
    > a duce, which is unoccupied.
    >
    > Your server stops by with your cocktails and you place your order.
    > He comments about the excellent choices and suggests a style of
    > wine and vineyard. Sold.
    >
    > You turn to your dining companion and are enjoying the view, the
    > music, the conversation. The appetizer is brought and set down.
    > The medley of aromas create a symphony of senses that Bach
    > couldn't compete against. The sweet smell of caramelized leek. The
    > subtleness of nutmeg. The tantalizing spice of cinnamon. You are
    > about to bite into the scallop and see if the taste and texture
    > match your scent-imagined taste buds when another, more cloying
    > stench washes over your table.
    >
    > You pull back and look at the food on your fork. Your sinus
    > passage goes numb. You notice your companion holding her napkin
    > discretely over her nose and looking at the duce that is now
    > occupied.
    >
    > Another couple has been seated. They are older and established,
    > given their dress. The matron, unfortunately, has bathed in
    > something that announces her presence long before she arrives,
    > though. She is completely oblivious to how she appears or what it
    > is doing to those around her.
    >
    > What do you do in this situation?
    >
    > The Ranger

    Depends on your manners and willingness to piss someone off, I think.

    In a perfect world, you might step away and have a private conversation
    with the maitre'd and explain that Fifi's phew is about to make you
    puke and you were counting on this night out to finally get you laid
    later in the evening and could he please move them so you don't pass out
    and ruin all possibility and hope of the pleasures of the flesh.
    Whereon the maitre'd would tap finger to lip a few times and say
    brightly, "I have it, Sir." Please be seated. Then the m'd would
    approach the Gentleman accompanying our Fifi and speak in hushed tones
    that you and your companion were celebrating a very special occasion and
    they'd hope for a more intimate (PRIVATE) setting and you would
    understand, wouldn't you, if I moved you right over there, in front of
    the kitchen where you would be able to more enjoy the tantalizing tastes
    emanating from the Kitchen of Prestigious Chef Jacque PeePee and, by the
    by, I'd like to provide you with a lovely libation as a small thanks for
    your consideration of the idiot---I mean Other Gentleman. And
    Gentleman Companion would whisper to Fifi, while giving you a sly
    knowing wink, that they need to give this couple some privacy and he
    and Feef would sashay on out of your olfactory appreciation range. You
    and your companion would enjoy your time together and your charm, swave
    demeanor, and clever repartee would be rewarded with sexual favors later
    in the evening. And you'd pop for a glass of champagne for the geezer
    couple -- maybe he'll get laid when he gets home, too. In a perfect
    world.

    In a slightly less perfect world, you would ask the m'd if you could be
    moved to another spot with an equally lovely view, you'd enjoy your
    evening, and you'd still get laid when you get home.

    Or you could stay put and start making loud and smarmy remarks about the
    stench of a cheap whorehouse that has suddenly invaded your nasal
    passages, take your chances on a poke in the nose, choke down your
    dinner, and discover that when you get home things just don't work the
    way you'd hoped. <wink, wink>

    Or you could just shut up and try to make the best of it and put on a
    happy face so as not to spoil things for your companion,

    Your choice.
    --
    http://www.jamlady.eboard.com, updated 12-18-05 - Church review (I think
    I'll become a critic - Rob's been calling me one for years!)

  17. jmcquown

    jmcquown Guest

    elaine wrote:
    > " <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]
    >> The Ranger wrote:
    >>> Imagine, if you will, going out to a top-shelf restaurant for an
    >>> evening of pleasant dining, quiet socializing, and orgasmic
    >>> tasting of foods you might not prepare at home even on special
    >>> occasions.
    >>>
    >>> Another couple has been seated. They are older and established,
    >>> given their dress. The matron, unfortunately, has bathed in
    >>> something that announces her presence long before she arrives,
    >>> though. She is completely oblivious to how she appears or what it
    >>> is doing to those around her.
    >>>
    >>> What do you do in this situation?
    >>>
    >>> The Ranger

    >> Obviously ask to be moved to another table, stunning view or not. As
    >> someone else said, you aren't going to get the "matron" to change
    >> her ways and even if you could, I doubt they would have offered to
    >> let her take a shower. At least you didn't get stuck in an elevator
    >> with her ;)
    >>
    >> Jill

    > No - why should they have to move. Explain (with vigor) the problem
    > with the smelly woman. And suggest ever so strongly that she (they)
    > should be reseated.
    >
    > If that is not a possibility perhaps get a rain check (free meal?) for
    > another time.
    >
    > That would be my request.
    >
    > Elaine

    You make a good point. However, the perfume-doused woman might well be a
    regular customer whereas the OP made it sound like this was a first-time
    visit. Which one would the restauranteur rather not offend?

    Jill

  18. "Dimitri" <[email protected]> looking for trouble wrote in
    news:[email protected]:

    > "A.C." <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]
    >>
    >> Dimitri wrote:
    >>
    >>> The Ranger wrote:
    >>>
    >>> <snip>

    >>> Explain that you have an allergy and ask to be reseated.
    >>>
    >>> Dimitri
    >>>

    >> great idea. you get reseated and the purfume factory can stink up the
    >> part of the restaurant that you're not in. :)

    > I am more than serious - There are several Mall (candle type) stored I
    > can not walk into.
    >
    > Dimitri

    I agree, ask to be reseated. Now and then those perfumy type stores get to
    me too. I feel like I can't even breathe.

    Michael

    --
    ....Bacteria: The rear entrance to a cafeteria.

    All gramatical errors and misspellings due to Ramsey the cyber kitten. He
    now owns all keyboards and computing devices in the household and has the
    final say on what is, or is not, posted.
    Send email to dog30 at charter dot net

  19. elaine

    elaine Guest

    > elaine wrote:
    >> " <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >> news:[email protected]

    >>> Obviously ask to be moved to another table, stunning view or not. As
    >>> someone else said, you aren't going to get the "matron" to change
    >>> her ways and even if you could, I doubt they would have offered to
    >>> let her take a shower. At least you didn't get stuck in an elevator
    >>> with her ;)
    >>>
    >>> Jill

    >> No - why should they have to move. Explain (with vigor) the problem
    >> with the smelly woman. And suggest ever so strongly that she (they)
    >> should be reseated.
    >>
    >> If that is not a possibility perhaps get a rain check (free meal?) for
    >> another time.
    >>
    >> That would be my request.
    >>
    >> Elaine

    > You make a good point. However, the perfume-doused woman might well be a
    > regular customer whereas the OP made it sound like this was a first-time
    > visit. Which one would the restauranteur rather not offend?
    >
    > Jill

    Well if she smells THAT bad , chances are this would not be the first time
    customers have been offended. ONTH some people's noses are way more
    sensitive to smells -- as other OP's have pointed out.

    I only know what I would do.

    E.

  20. The Ranger wrote:
    > Imagine, if you will, going out to a top-shelf restaurant for an
    > evening of pleasant dining, quiet socializing, and orgasmic
    > tasting of foods you might not prepare at home even on special
    > occasions.
    >
    > You're reservations are confirmed. You are set to experience The
    > Perfect Evening.
    >
    > You arrive and check in at the maitre d's station. "Yes, party of
    > two, seven o'clock. Right this way." You are seated at the prime
    > table; a window view of a scenic vista that capture the very
    > essence of what you were expecting. Linen and crystal, china and
    > silver are laid out with scientific precision. Menus are set in
    > front of you and cocktails are ordered.
    >
    > You are awed and inspired by the chef's cunning and imagination.
    > Each plate, from the appetizers to the main course, is described
    > with such passion and detail that you are tasting them
    > metaphysically. Decisions are made.
    >
    > You look about the restaurant and notice that there are several
    > previously occupied tables about, each discreetly distant. The
    > closest table is another prime location, behind your dining guest;
    > a duce, which is unoccupied.
    >
    > Your server stops by with your cocktails and you place your order.
    > He comments about the excellent choices and suggests a style of
    > wine and vineyard. Sold.
    >
    > You turn to your dining companion and are enjoying the view, the
    > music, the conversation. The appetizer is brought and set down.
    > The medley of aromas create a symphony of senses that Bach
    > couldn't compete against. The sweet smell of caramelized leek. The
    > subtleness of nutmeg. The tantalizing spice of cinnamon. You are
    > about to bite into the scallop and see if the taste and texture
    > match your scent-imagined taste buds when another, more cloying
    > stench washes over your table.
    >
    > You pull back and look at the food on your fork. Your sinus
    > passage goes numb. You notice your companion holding her napkin
    > discretely over her nose and looking at the duce that is now
    > occupied.
    >
    > Another couple has been seated. They are older and established,
    > given their dress. The matron, unfortunately, has bathed in
    > something that announces her presence long before she arrives,
    > though. She is completely oblivious to how she appears or what it
    > is doing to those around her.
    >
    > What do you do in this situation?
    >
    > The Ranger

    Ask them, discreetly and politely, If they would please have their
    server move them to another table, as you and your guest are sensitive
    to fragrances.

    --

    saerah

    -Baruch Spinoza