Take time to stop!!!

dvnjhn

Aug 1, 2007
After a long day studying at the university library - I was cycling home. Only a mile into my 7-mile cycle, a flat back tyre occurred (due to myself hitting a kerb to hard). After removing my innertube to quickly insert one of my two spares - I noticed the inner tubes I had brought with me where for my partners 27incher. Oh well, time to do it the hard way.... located the hole, strapped the bad boy up and went to pump it up. Unfortunately the pump (which I had got from my dad, and was old and worn) stopped working, so it was time to walk. :mad::mad::mad::mad:

Only a half mile into my slog, a kind cyclist stopped with her partner and asked me if I was okay and need a puncture repair kit. I explained my scenario and she produced her pump. After testing my tube and realising I had fixed it, the women cycled on to do her shopping, while her partner stayed and helped me finish the job at hand. He even cycled the further 4 miles to his turning and I thanked him profusely. With out them my day would have been severely more annoying at since I am now contemplating and reflecting on this today, I have decided in future - if I can to repay the favour to any cyclist who needs help.:):):):)

I had my one and only flat back in 1985 w/o any kind of repair materials and a kind soul gave me a ride back to where I had left my car. Since then I have always carried a spare tube, a small patch kit, and a pump but lately it has been a CO2 inflator. Luckily the only use that I have gotten from these is fixing other peoples flats. Although I don't ask for any money, each time they have given me at least $5.00 to replace the tube. I sort of figure that as long as I look out for my fellow cyclists, a higher power will continue to look out for me. It has worked so far.

In Houston when I do my long distance travel shopping workout I'd be dead if I got stuck in the road. So I have everything, including 1 extra tire. Public transportation here sucks.

JTE83 said:
In Houston when I do my long distance travel shopping workout I'd be dead if I got stuck in the road. So I have everything, including 1 extra tire. Public transportation here sucks.
"long distance travel shopping workout".... :confused: :p

You've got to be pulling everyone's leg here JTE... :D

Houston is a boring place to bike in, and the parks are boring compared to Chicago's Lake Shore Drive. So now my main workout / shopping bike is my Trek Pilot 2.1 Spa with a Polar Powermeter and ceramic Ksyrium Sls. I would use it for a long distance ride, stopping at certain places around the city to shop and amuse myself. Once I towed my Burley Nomad and did 20 to 24 mph on it going 96% MHR. Of course, I'd slow down to 87% MHR.

dvnjhn said:
After a long day studying at the university library - I was cycling home. Only a mile into my 7-mile cycle, a flat back tyre occurred (due to myself hitting a kerb to hard). After removing my innertube to quickly insert one of my two spares - I noticed the inner tubes I had brought with me where for my partners 27incher. Oh well, time to do it the hard way.... located the hole, strapped the bad boy up and went to pump it up. Unfortunately the pump (which I had got from my dad, and was old and worn) stopped working, so it was time to walk. :mad::mad::mad::mad:

Only a half mile into my slog, a kind cyclist stopped with her partner and asked me if I was okay and need a puncture repair kit. I explained my scenario and she produced her pump. After testing my tube and realising I had fixed it, the women cycled on to do her shopping, while her partner stayed and helped me finish the job at hand. He even cycled the further 4 miles to his turning and I thanked him profusely. With out them my day would have been severely more annoying at since I am now contemplating and reflecting on this today, I have decided in future - if I can to repay the favour to any cyclist who needs help.:):):):)

Most riders around here, including me, will at least ask if someone by the roadside needs help or summat. None of them, though, ask about what percentage of MHR a rider was doing, as none of them want to be stuck listening to some pathetic braggart.

Hey Alienator - I'm not as bad as these Chinese spammers! It's a wonder how we coexist on this same forum! I mean, you think you're God as if only you are right.

JTE83 said:
Hey Alienator - I'm not as bad as these Chinese spammers! It's a wonder how we coexist on this same forum! I mean, you think you're God as if only you are right.

No, Idiot, don't pretend to know what I might think, especially when you can't manage your own thoughts. I don't think I'm a god. No, that's far from what I think. I do think you're an insufferable braggart, money *****, and a verifiable intellectual turd. It's scary that you're even allowed to breathe anywhere near anything NASA, especially given your proven inability to take any responsibility whatsoever for your actions and your prediliction for blaming your actions on others. Those qualities are exactly what no high tech company or organization needs. Those qualities are the sorts that stimey innovation and get people killed as a result of stupid mistakes.

How can you manage to think you know someone else who you've never met, when you can't even manage to know anything about innocent people around you, Leech?

96% MHR: god, that made me laugh my ass off.

dvnjhn said:

You just have to be a boyscout dude. The basics like a spare tube and working pump/co2 are kinda obvious. Anyway you seem like a nice guy and for those of us who are a wee more realistic it goes like this: Ass,Grass,Gas, no free rides.

gemship said:
Anyway you seem like a nice guy and for those of us who are a wee more realistic it goes like this: Ass,Grass,Gas, no free rides.

Other than sounding really cool to you, is this supposed to actually mean something? If you were at all realistic, you'd know that sometimes **** just happens and leaves you stuck, no matter how well you plan. If you ever ride out west, make sure to wave when you get stuck so that I can just ride on by.....you know: that whole ass, grass, gas, no free rides ********.

alienator said:
Other than sounding really cool to you, is this supposed to actually mean something? If you were at all realistic, you'd know that sometimes **** just happens and leaves you stuck, no matter how well you plan. If you ever ride out west, make sure to wave when you get stuck so that I can just ride on by.....you know: that whole ass, grass, gas, no free rides ********.

ow! :eek: my bum hurts :eek:

alienator said:
+1 man. In the middle of a 40 mile ride last weekend we were stuck roadside and I really appreciated the other cyclists and drivers that asked if we were ok and offered help. Luckily I was able to repair the cob job I did on my wife's chain the night before. She teases me about being so prepared - tools, extra tubes, all that ****.. you just never really know what will and can happen. Good thing my little Pedro toolkit had a chain breaker in it, not sure what we would have done w/o it. I haven't packed anyone on my handlebars in a long time. Cell phones are a key accessory as well. I had 2 flats on the same ride once, used up my spare tubes before I figured out what the hell it was (tiny burr on the inside of a new set of wheels poking right through the rim tape)... and I was walking a long ways b4 my neighbor finally came to the rescue.

alienator said:
96% MHR: god, that made me laugh my ass off.

That's ok MHR when you hardly do 30 miles a week anymore. When you don't train much and can commute at 17 to 21 mph because of low weight - sounds ok to me. I invested 1 year of training to go low weight so I can be a faster biker without much training.

JTE83 said:
That's ok MHR when you hardly do 30 miles a week anymore. When you don't train much and can commute at 17 to 21 mph because of low weight - sounds ok to me. I invested 1 year of training to go low weight so I can be a faster biker without much training.

No, you missed the point: that you even had to quantify your "effort" is what made me laugh my ass off. Another day, the same ****.