Takes The Time To Check!

bayrunner

Mar 28, 2006
Hi again all , as some of you will know i bought myself an Avanti Carbonio a few weeks ago, Well ive done around 350ks so far, Anyway I had the bike in for its first free service from where i bought it, took it home , went for a few rides but something was not right with the gears, jumping ,missing a gear etc , so i took it to the bike shop just down the road from me and one of the guys there went over it with a fine tooth comb, anyway he used a gadget that he put on the rear gear hanger,{ hope thats what its called?}and he spun it around the rim to gauge how true the wheel was inline with the frame, turns out there was a 5 to 7 mil differance from top of the wheel to the bottom, and thats why the gears were not working right , he charged me $16 and now the gears are fantastic!!!!! A little time and effort goes a long way , he'll get my custom from now on!! It seems a shame the guys where i bought the bike from never picked up on it?:rolleyes:

Bayrunner.

5-7mm? You'd be able to see 1mm with the naked eye...

What did he adjust to true it?

Correction on my last post, I think it was the rear derailer hanger that was not in line with the frame an the wheel, sry!:eek: It's great now though:D .

Bayrunner.

Yes thats the problem with the complementary service.

When i cashed in on mine, i told them i was having the cmplementary service only at the time of payment.

When my rear gears start to miss, which has happened a few times as my gearset beds in from new, I look at the rd from the rear to see which way it needs to move and screw in/out the finger adjustment accordingly...

I then hold the rear of the bike in the air with one hand and click up/down the gears and pedal with the other... As soon as I can go up and down the cassette without it missing twice, I leave it...

Easier at work as I have a maintenance arm/hanger as my storage arm protruding from the wall...

Also, I find it hard to believe a shop would allow it out the door with the rd that out... more likely the rd took a hit/tap between the shop and your home...