taking a break

leanman

Sep 20, 2009
been racing 25 years now and i still get a bit confused on when to take a break. season hasent even started yet and i had two days on the indoor trainer where the old lady down the street could have rode faster.. some friends say ride thru it, some say take a few extra days off. some say you'll loose what you trained so hard for taking days off. so i just dont know. i never knew how to go about taking in season breaks. i wann be fresh all the time like i USUALLY am..

took a few weeks off in october after last years season ended... then the slow build up. long slow miles, then a bit faster. getting outside when i can. up to 4 hours outside now. on my own this time of year mostly. trainer the other days. hard 20 minute sessions on the trainer 1 day a week. slowing building miles 1 week, a bit more in week 2 then a bit more in week 3. then its the down week.in my down week i ride a few 30 minute days then off a few. then build back up again. the religious 3weeks on 1week off .. i aint doing anything extra, like going hard 2 , 3 days a week. just long slow / moderate miles sat or sun. then ride the trainer spinning miles the rest of the week, with 1 day being a few20 minute, or four 10 minute hard tempo trainer rides.. last few workouts i had no legs at all.. question, how long of a break should i take before training again? i aint racing till april..i have 4-5 days a year like yesterday. these last few weeks i had 2!!! time for a few days off? then what do i do when i resume? normal training like i do? should i do maybe 30 minutes on the trainer instead of 45-60minutes 4 days a week? saving a bit more energy for the 1 hard day i do and the weeked long one? i was just thinking maybe do mon tues 30 min. 2 hours wed. thats the 20 minute workout day. 30 min on thurs off fri sat 2 hours ez and sun 4 hours outside alone or with the team. or should i keep doing 45-60 min on the days i'm thinking about only doing 30 minutes.. i'm just confused on why i have no legs these last few times.. no extra stress. plenty rest perfect diet..58 years old soon. cat 2. opinions??? bottom line, how long do you rst when you have no legs? they are dead walking up the steps. but why would they i go hard 2 days a week max and the rest is spinning in an ez gear..thanks alot..

Originally Posted by leanman .

been racing 25 years now a

bottom line, how long do you rst when you have no legs? they are dead walking up the steps. but why would they i go hard 2 days a week max and the rest is spinning in an ez gear..thanks alot..
25 years of racing should teach you what your body needs.

---

I always have legs. But I have been paying attention to my training for 30 years or so.

Looks like it is going to be cold for another week so just 3 hours at 80% everyday. When it warms up, I will kick my training up. 4 Hours a day next month (tomorrow? I don't think so. The way I dress it is too cold for 4 hours. I will put off my monthlyu increase for a week.)

Originally Posted by An old Guy .

---

I always have legs. But I have been paying attention to my training for 30 years or so.

Looks like it is going to be cold for another week so just 3 hours at 80% everyday. When it warms up, I will kick my training up. 4 Hours a day next month (tomorrow? I don't think so. The way I dress it is too cold for 4 hours. I will put off my monthlyu increase for a week.)
while I dont have much to offer I find it amazing that after training 30 years yourself the only pearls of wisdom to share is
based on your training for 30 years or so.

I have never seen a person with so much to offer, offer nothing.

i been at it 25 years and this one part of cycle training always gives me problems. tired legs doing nothing out of the ordinary, religiously doing 3 weeks on 1 off. puzzeling!! you should always be trying to improve and learn no matter how long you been at it. i'm always lost on in season breaks.. breaks to keep you fit and not loose what you gained, but long enough breaks to give you strength for another month or two training. training should be getting harder as the weather is going to break, but i'm tired now.. this sucks...

Everything you have written just screams of mental fatigue. At least that's what I'm hearing. You've been hard at it for months, you've just come through the longest month of the year (forget the calendar, February is about 17 weeks long). It's still cold, it sucks, it will never end, etc., etc.
Chill out, take a few days away from the bike and your Mojo will return. Honest.
Good Luck!

Originally Posted by maxroadrash .

Everything you have written just screams of mental fatigue. At least that's what I'm hearing. You've been hard at it for months, you've just come through the longest month of the year (forget the calendar, February is about 17 weeks long). It's still cold, it sucks, it will never end, etc., etc.
Chill out, take a few days away from the bike and your Mojo will return. Honest.
Good Luck!
+1, my thoughts exactly. If not time off consider mixing things up. Do some different rides or different kinds of riding like jump on the mountain bike or go on some long rides instead of focused training days or find an early season century if you can and have some fun. I have no idea where you are or what your options are to mix things up but if you can break the monotony you can often recharge the mental batteries and get a reset before spring and summer. If other types of rides aren't an option then some late winter skiing or whatever else you like to do off the bike that still keeps you moving.

-Dave

When training gets to feel like a chore I will call up buddies who I don't often ride with because of vastly different training goals and skill sets and get together for an adventure. Otherwise, go take your road bike and find some dirt roads, or single track, have an adventure. Remember loving riding and how FUN this is before the discipline kills your enjoyment.

thanks. well,riding here there trail trainer hills or a new route, dosent really have anytghing to do with on a pretty hard day haveing no legs in the warmup? i guess i will just take a few days off the bike. no mental fatique. i love the training racing. plus is ez days 4days a week plus an off day. thats 2 days a week where 1 is hard the other long / moderate.. i sure aint killing myself.. maybe i just have sore legs and a few days rest i'll be fine again. thanks all

Originally Posted by leanman .

thanks. well,riding here there trail trainer hills or a new route, dosent really have anytghing to do with on a pretty hard day haveing no legs in the warmup? i guess i will just take a few days off the bike. no mental fatique. i love the training racing. plus is ez days 4days a week plus an off day. thats 2 days a week where 1 is hard the other long / moderate.. i sure aint killing myself.. maybe i just have sore legs and a few days rest i'll be fine again. thanks all
Yeah perhaps it's a fuels thing or an overly big dose of training has left you a bit wiped out but from your original description of 3 on and 1 off, a regular pattern like that and this recurring over the seasons it has all the earmarks of a mental burnout issue which is probably where we were all coming from in the responses above. But if it really is a pure energy or residual fatigue issue I'd look carefully at things like weight loss, off the bike stresses or patterns of workouts that led you to this point as it's not that typical for folks that are taking regular easier weeks to freshen up.

Good luck and hope you bounce back soon,
-Dave

Originally Posted by ira41 .

while I dont have much to offer I find it amazing that after training 30 years yourself the only pearls of wisdom to share is
based on your training for 30 years or so.

I have never seen a person with so much to offer, offer nothing.
I am sorry. I don't see where you provided any useful advice.

If I were his coach, I would have enough information to suggest something more helpful. Anyone who makes specific recomendations is basing them off of what they need not what the OP needs.

After 25 years the OP should have run across his problems before and know how to handle them. At least that is what my 30 years of riding tells me.

---

When I was young and tired, I would go out for a short ride, 10 miles, just to get myself going. Come back 6-10 hours later. Ready for more. But some of you guys quit after 2-3 hours on a good day.