Taking a Dig Cam To Take Photo's

Maxz1

Guest
Hello Everyone !!

I didn't get out much this year to ride, but I also Love taking photo's out doors. So I want to
take my dig cam and bike to good places to take photo's. My dig cams is pretty big not pocket ones
a Fuji 3800 and a E-20N, and I was wondering how you keep stuff like that safe and sound when
riding. I will not be doing any crazy riding of course, but just taking my time to get there and
back. Thanks !!

"maxz1" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> Hello Everyone !!
>
> I didn't get out much this year to ride, but I also Love taking photo's out doors. So I want to
> take my dig cam and bike to good places to take photo's. My dig cams is pretty big not pocket ones
> a Fuji 3800 and a E-20N, and I was wondering how you keep stuff like that safe and sound when
> riding. I will not be doing any crazy riding of course, but just taking my time to get there and
> back. Thanks !!

Pray!

Seriously, take a look at Lowepro (www.lowepro.com). They make some nice compact size camera
backpacks. I have a small one that I actually retrofitted a camelback bladder into. I use it when I
bring my dSLR's and lenses out with me.

"maxz1" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> Hello Everyone !!
>
> I didn't get out much this year to ride, but I also Love taking photo's out doors. So I want to
> take my dig cam and bike to good places to take photo's. My dig cams is pretty big not pocket ones
> a Fuji 3800 and a E-20N, and I was wondering how you keep stuff like that safe and sound when
> riding. I will not be doing any crazy riding of course, but just taking my time to get there and
> back. Thanks !!

This is the one that I use and have put a camelback bladder into:

http://www.lowepro.com/pages/series/street/rovlight.htm

Hmmm water near a DSLR that kinda scares me I know my new Digital rebel aint water resistant. Other
than that i have a huge Military backpack i got while in Saudi Arabia that has an integrated
camelback, and i swear i could carry a whole other bike in it made by Piper Gear and i have caried
my cameras in it with sime oadding and just toned down my riding that day.

"RacerX" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> Hmmm water near a DSLR that kinda scares me I know my new Digital rebel
aint
> water resistant. Other than that i have a huge Military backpack i got
while
> in Saudi Arabia that has an integrated camelback, and i swear i could
carry
> a whole other bike in it made by Piper Gear and i have caried my cameras
in
> it with sime oadding and just toned down my riding that day.
>

> "Sir Ride-A-Lot" <Sir.Ride-a-Lot> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> >
> > "maxz1" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> > > Hello Everyone !!
> > >
> > > I didn't get out much this year to ride, but I also Love taking
photo's
> > > out doors. So I want to take my dig cam and bike to good places to
take
> > > photo's. My dig cams is pretty big not pocket ones a Fuji 3800 and a E-20N, and I was
> > > wondering how you keep stuff like that safe and sound when riding. I will not be doing any
> > > crazy riding of course, but just taking my time to get there and back. Thanks !!
> > >

> > This is the one that I use and have put a camelback bladder into:
> >
> > http://www.lowepro.com/pages/series/street/rovlight.htm

The camera area is seperated from the water area and the nylon is "waterproof" to some extent. A
slow leak would be manageable, but a bladder burst would be disaster.

> I didn't get out much this year to ride, but I also Love taking photo's

If you're determined to take an expensive and fragile camera in the backcountry, your safest bet is
carrying it in a hard watertight case in a backpack or on the bike somewhere. We leave the top shelf
cameras at home while we're out on the trails though. Inexpensive digitals do a fine job of
capturing the moment; it depends on your goal.

I suggest keeping the electronics etc. away from the camelbak due to moisture content and the
possibility of them leaking or breaking. I just toss mine in my shirt back pocket; it seems to stay
put just fine, and it's quickly accessible.

"maxz1" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> Hello Everyone !!
>
> I didn't get out much this year to ride, but I also Love taking photo's out doors. So I want to
> take my dig cam and bike to good places to take photo's. My dig cams is pretty big not pocket ones
> a Fuji 3800 and a E-20N, and I was wondering how you keep stuff like that safe and sound when
> riding. I will not be doing any crazy riding of course, but just taking my time to get there and
> back. Thanks !!

I put mine in my camelback for riding or my front jacket pocket if skiing. It has a neoprene
zippered case that protects it from scratches and bumps. If it's wet or it's a ride with stream
crossings I put the camera in a ziplock bag for extra protection. Seems to work very well so far.

Matt

PS the plural for photo is photos. Photo's is possessive, like "I like this photo's colors.".

On Tue, 02 Dec 2003 03:46:54 -0500, maxz1 <[email protected]> wrote:

>Hello Everyone !!
>
>I didn't get out much this year to ride, but I also Love taking
photo's
>out doors. So I want to take my dig cam and bike to good places to
take
>photo's. My dig cams is pretty big not pocket ones a Fuji 3800 and a E-20N, and I was wondering how
>you keep stuff like that safe and
sound
>when riding. I will not be doing any crazy riding of course, but just taking my time to get there
>and back. Thanks !!

Just throw it in a Camelbak (or equivalent).

MattB murmured while asleep:
> "maxz1" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
>> Hello Everyone !!
>>
>> I didn't get out much this year to ride, but I also Love taking photo's out doors. So I want to
>> take my dig cam and bike to good places to take photo's. My dig cams is pretty big not pocket
>> ones a Fuji 3800 and a E-20N, and I was wondering how you keep stuff like that safe and sound
>> when riding. I will not be doing any crazy riding of course, but just taking my time to get there
>> and back. Thanks !!
>>

> I put mine in my camelback for riding or my front jacket pocket if skiing. It has a neoprene
> zippered case that protects it from scratches and bumps. If it's wet or it's a ride with stream
> crossings I put the camera in a ziplock bag for extra protection. Seems to work very well so far.
>
> Matt

OK, Ok, as soon as I crawl out from ski wear hell....

penny

On Tue, 02 Dec 2003 09:26:39 -0800, P e t e F a g e r l i n wrote:

> Just throw it in a Camelbak (or equivalent).

Of course, this is a guy who straps a $1300 video camera to his helmet.
:)

--
-BB- To reply to me, drop the attitude (from my e-mail address, at least) "It's a shallow life that
doesn't give a person a few scars" - Garrison Keillor

BB wrote:

>On Tue, 02 Dec 2003 09:26:39 -0800, P e t e F a g e r l i n wrote:
>

>>Just throw it in a Camelbak (or equivalent).
>>

>Of course, this is a guy who straps a $1300 video camera to his helmet.
>:)

The back pack looks great, how much padding does it have ?

"Penny S" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> MattB murmured while asleep:
> > "maxz1" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> >> Hello Everyone !!
> >>
> >> I didn't get out much this year to ride, but I also Love taking photo's out doors. So I want to
> >> take my dig cam and bike to good places to take photo's. My dig cams is pretty big not pocket
> >> ones a Fuji 3800 and a E-20N, and I was wondering how you keep stuff like that safe and sound
> >> when riding. I will not be doing any crazy riding of course, but just taking my time to get
> >> there and back. Thanks !!
> >>

> > I put mine in my camelback for riding or my front jacket pocket if skiing. It has a neoprene
> > zippered case that protects it from scratches and bumps. If it's wet or it's a ride with
> > stream crossings I put the camera in a ziplock bag for extra protection. Seems to work very
> > well so far.
> >
> > Matt
>
> OK, Ok, as soon as I crawl out from ski wear hell....
>
> penny

Hehehe...we're waiting!!! ;^)

Mike

On Tue, 02 Dec 2003 03:46:54 -0500, maxz1 <[email protected]> wrote:
> Hello Everyone !!
>
> I didn't get out much this year to ride, but I also Love taking photo's out doors. So I want to
> take my dig cam and bike to good places to take photo's. My dig cams is pretty big not pocket ones
> a Fuji 3800 and a E-20N, and I was wondering how you keep stuff like that safe and sound when
> riding. I will not be doing any crazy riding of course, but just taking my time to get there and
> back. Thanks !!

That's why I like my Canon S110. Full-featured, small, mostly made of stainless steel. Now it's not
water-proof, so if my C-back exploded...that might be interesting, but I'd take my chances with my
zipper case sheilding it well enough.

Everyone is different, but my first consideration in buying a digicam is the
size/durability quotient.

Gman "size matters"

On 2 Dec 2003 17:45:36 GMT, BB <[email protected]> wrote:
> On Tue, 02 Dec 2003 09:26:39 -0800, P e t e F a g e r l i n wrote:
>
>> Just throw it in a Camelbak (or equivalent).
>
> Of course, this is a guy who straps a $1300 video camera to his helmet.
>:)

And goes over the bars down the National trail waterfall with it on... :)

On 5 Dec 2003 01:50:51 GMT, Gman <[email protected]> wrote:

>On 2 Dec 2003 17:45:36 GMT, BB <[email protected]> wrote:
>> On Tue, 02 Dec 2003 09:26:39 -0800, P e t e F a g e r l i n wrote:
>>
>>> Just throw it in a Camelbak (or equivalent).
>>
>> Of course, this is a guy who straps a $1300 video camera to his
helmet.
>>:)
>>

>And goes over the bars down the National trail waterfall with it on... :)

That only messed up my bad knee which swelled up so much that I almost couldn't ride the next day
because I didn't have enough range of motion.

http://home.pacbell.net/psf0/knee.jpg

The worst fall while laden with equipment was during a recent Tahoe ride when I was humping 12 lbs
of camera gear while leading down a new trail, saw a micro jump, sped up, aired it, landed and then
discovered that the trail which headed into the shade actually entered a dip with an almost vertical
4' bank on the other side.

In a split second I tried to bail off of the bike at speed and couldn't get my hands off
of the bars.

I went head first, in a fetal position straight into the bank.

My helmet cracked (SAVED MY LIFE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!-
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!) a little bit and
my entie upper back got the ultimate chiro adjustment.

So much of a chiro adjustment that it hurt to inhale (around my shoulder blades) fro almost a week.

I still feel it (beer helps though).

On Thu, 04 Dec 2003 19:32:33 -0800, P e t e F a g e r l i n wrote:

> My helmet cracked (SAVED MY LIFE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!-
> !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!) a little bit
> and my entie upper back got the ultimate chiro adjustment.

So is this on tape somewhere? :)

> So much of a chiro adjustment that it hurt to inhale (around my shoulder blades) fro
> almost a week.

Ow.

> I still feel it (beer helps though).

I hate those ones you feel years later. At my age, I've got a few. That one on National looked
really impressive on tape, tho.

--

On 5 Dec 2003 03:39:34 GMT, BB <[email protected]> wrote:

>On Thu, 04 Dec 2003 19:32:33 -0800, P e t e F a g e r l i n wrote:
>
>> My helmet cracked (SAVED MY

LIFE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!-
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!)
>> a little bit and my entie upper back got the ultimate chiro adjustment.
>
>So is this on tape somewhere? :)

No, I was carrying my DSLR, flash, two lenses, spare batteries + normal riding stuff.

No video but I plan on getting up there once the snow melts next year. It's a typical California
fireroad so it should be video-worthy...

http://www.petefagerlin.com/images/sayles/kevdescend2.jpg

BB <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> On Tue, 02 Dec 2003 09:26:39 -0800, P e t e F a g e r l i n wrote:
>
> > Just throw it in a Camelbak (or equivalent).
>
> Of course, this is a guy who straps a $1300 video camera to his helmet.
> :)

I agree with Pete, I use a lightweight hip pack but no other precations than that. I've carried my
camera for quite a few miles and through several nasty crashes (no where near as nasty as Pete's
though) and haven't had any issues. Moved on to a new camera but the first one is still functional.
The worst damage my camera has taken is when it was out of the bag and I dropped it.

-- The Ogre http://ogrehut.net

"P e t e F a g e r l i n" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]... <snip>

> In a split second I tried to bail off of the bike at speed and couldn't get my hands off of
> the bars.
>
> I went head first, in a fetal position straight into the bank.

Damn. A similar scenario last year was the last straw for my left shoulder. Crashing into a
compression at speed sure does stop you quickly. Glad you came out of it (relatively) OK.

Matt (will hopefully be able to ride again in three weeks - sigh)