Taking a rear der. apart

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Zilla, Jun 24, 2004.

  1. Zilla

    Zilla Guest

    I have a 9-spd Deore rear derailleur that I want to take
    apart, with the 7 biggest cogs riveted togther. What's
    the best way to do this?

    --
    - Zilla
    Cary, NC

    Tags:

  2. Shaun Rimmer

    Shaun Rimmer Guest

    "Zilla" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:Z0zCc.1059$%[email protected]

    > I have a 9-spd Deore rear derailleur that I want to take
    > apart, with the 7 biggest cogs riveted togther. What's
    > the best way to do this?

    Don't take it apart - auction the damned thing for fortune! - Thass gotta be
    the only Shimano derailleur in existence with 9 cogs on it!

    ',;~}~

    Shaun aRe

  3. Michael Dart

    Michael Dart Guest

    > "Zilla" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:Z0zCc.1059$%[email protected]
    >
    > > I have a 9-spd Deore rear derailleur that I want to take
    > > apart, with the 7 biggest cogs riveted togther. What's
    > > the best way to do this?

    > Don't take it apart - auction the damned thing for fortune! - Thass gotta

    be
    > the only Shimano derailleur in existence with 9 cogs on it!

    Yeah, I'd like to see pics of that one myself. :^o

    Mike

  4. mojo deluxe

    mojo deluxe Guest

    "Michael Dart" <[email protected]> wrote in message

    > news:[email protected]
    > >
    > > "Zilla" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > > news:Z0zCc.1059$%[email protected]
    > >
    > > > I have a 9-spd Deore rear derailleur that I want to take
    > > > apart, with the 7 biggest cogs riveted togther. What's
    > > > the best way to do this?

    > > Don't take it apart - auction the damned thing for fortune! - Thass

    gotta
    > be
    > > the only Shimano derailleur in existence with 9 cogs on it!
    > >

    > Yeah, I'd like to see pics of that one myself. :^o

    I'm wondering if he meant cassette maybe?

  5. Leo Lichtman

    Leo Lichtman Guest

    "mojo deluxe" wrote: I'm wondering if he meant cassette maybe?
    ^^^^^^^^^^^
    And, I'm wondering if those are really rivets. The few I have played with
    are held with thin, long screws that LOOK like rivets.

  6. Leo Lichtman <[email protected]> wrote:
    >"mojo deluxe" wrote: I'm wondering if he meant cassette maybe?
    >^^^^^^^^^^^
    >And, I'm wondering if those are really rivets. The few I have played with
    >are held with thin, long screws that LOOK like rivets.

    Those screws are on the way out. I used to buy 7-speed 11-28s; at first
    they had screws, but they were replaced with rivets. The screws have
    hexagonal heads at the base of the cassette (ie, the side that will be
    adjacent to the hub flange); the rivets are round.

  7. On Thu, 24 Jun 2004 07:45:30 -0400, "Zilla"
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >I have a 9-spd Deore rear derailleur that I want to take
    >apart, with the 7 biggest cogs riveted togther. What's
    >the best way to do this?

    Dear Zilla,

    Step 3: If you mean how to remove the rivets, reach for a
    Dremel tool with a reinforced fiberglass cutting wheel (not
    the cheap, thin, easily broken cutting wheels--you wanter
    the thick, expensive ones with the ugly visible grid).

    Step 2: If you don't have a Dremel tool, get one.

    Step 4:The large (compared to other grinding pieces) round
    edge of the wheel removes metal until the head is ground off
    flush and then lets you grind a slight dent.

    Step 5: You'll make some shiny cosmetic scratches on the cog
    surface, but once the head of the rivet is gone, you can
    bash--er, I mean gently tap the rivet out with a punch.

    Step 1: Before doing this, however, consider if and how
    you're going to put it all back together.

    Carl Fogel

  8. http://www.shimano-europe.com/cycling/phpimages/productserie/service_pdf/SI-
    6JJRB-EN.pdf

    --
    DTW .../\.../\.../\...

    I've spent most of my money on mountain biking and windsurfing.
    The rest I've just wasted.
    "Zilla" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:Z0zCc.1059$%[email protected]
    > I have a 9-spd Deore rear derailleur that I want to take
    > apart, with the 7 biggest cogs riveted togther. What's
    > the best way to do this?
    >
    > --
    > - Zilla
    > Cary, NC
    > (Remove XSPAM)

    Assuming that you meant cassette:

  9. "Zilla" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:Z0zCc.1059$%[email protected]
    > I have a 9-spd Deore rear derailleur that I want to take
    > apart, with the 7 biggest cogs riveted togther. What's
    > the best way to do this?
    >
    > --
    > - Zilla
    > Cary, NC
    > (Remove XSPAM)

    and

    http://www.parktool.com/repair_help/FAQindex.shtml

    --

  10. "David Damerell" <[email protected]> wrote:

    > Those screws are on the way out.

    I'm not sure that's generally true. My consumption of cassettes isn't large
    enough to detect a general pattern, but the last two non-spidered Shimano
    cassettes (9-speed Deore-quality MTB) I've bought were both screwed
    together. The 7-speed HG70 cassettes I used to buy were often riveted.

    James Thomson

  11. <[email protected]> wrote:

    > Step 2: If you don't have a Dremel tool, get one.

    A hand file is cheaper, and will remove the soft rivet heads with
    relatively little work. A centre-punch and drill will do the job too.

    > Step 1: Before doing this, however, consider if and how
    > you're going to put it all back together.

    Reassembly isn't normally necessary. The sprockets can be slipped onto the
    freehub body one at a time. The rivets or screws are there mainly to speed
    assembly.

    James Thomson

  12. Zilla

    Zilla Guest

    mojo deluxe <[email protected]> wrote:
    > "Michael Dart" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]
    >>
    >> "Shaun Rimmer" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >> news:[email protected]
    >>>
    >>> "Zilla" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >>> news:Z0zCc.1059$%[email protected]

    >>> Don't take it apart - auction the damned thing for fortune! - Thass
    >>> gotta be the only Shimano derailleur in existence with 9 cogs on it!
    >>>

    >> Yeah, I'd like to see pics of that one myself. :^o
    >>

    > I'm wondering if he meant cassette maybe?

    Duhhhh, yes cassette! :)

    --
    - Zilla
    Cary, NC

  13. Zilla

    Zilla Guest

    D T W .../\... <[email protected]> wrote:

    http://www.shimano-europe.com/cycling/phpimages/productserie/service_pdf/SI-
    > 6JJRB-EN.pdf
    >
    > --
    > DTW .../\.../\.../\...
    >
    > I've spent most of my money on mountain biking and windsurfing.
    > The rest I've just wasted.
    > "Zilla" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:Z0zCc.1059$%[email protected]
    >> I have a 9-spd Deore rear derailleur that I want to take
    >> apart, with the 7 biggest cogs riveted togther. What's
    >> the best way to do this?
    >>
    >> --
    >> - Zilla
    >> Cary, NC
    >> (Remove XSPAM)
    >>

    > Assuming that you meant cassette:

    http://www.shimano-europe.com/cycling/phpimages/productserie/service_pdf/SI-
    > 6JJRB-EN.pdf
    >
    > --
    > DTW .../\.../\.../\...
    >
    > I've spent most of my money on mountain biking and windsurfing.
    > The rest I've just wasted

    Thanks but neither of the links you posted mentioned
    anything about taking a cassette (yes cassette) apart.

    --
    - Zilla
    Cary, NC

  14. ">
    > Thanks but neither of the links you posted mentioned
    > anything about taking a cassette (yes cassette) apart.
    >

    > --
    > - Zilla
    > Cary, NC
    > (Remove XSPAM)

    The Shimano link probably is wrapped in the post and you need to splice it,
    or back it down and drill back to it.

    The Park link will get you there if you leaf thru thier site.

    --
    DTW .../\.../\.../\...

    I've spent most of my money on mountain biking and windsurfing.
    The rest I've just wasted.

  15. Zilla

    Zilla Guest

    James Thomson <[email protected]> wrote:
    > <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    >> Step 2: If you don't have a Dremel tool, get one.

    > A hand file is cheaper, and will remove the soft rivet heads with
    > relatively little work. A centre-punch and drill will do the job too.
    >
    >> Step 1: Before doing this, however, consider if and how
    >> you're going to put it all back together.

    > Reassembly isn't normally necessary. The sprockets can be slipped
    > onto the freehub body one at a time. The rivets or screws are there
    > mainly to speed assembly.
    >
    > James Thomson

    I'm taking it apart to get the 16-tooth cog
    for an SS. Re-assembly is un-desired! :)

    --
    - Zilla
    Cary, NC

  16. "Zilla" <[email protected]> wrote:

    > I'm taking it apart to get the 16-tooth cog
    > for an SS. Re-assembly is un-desired! :)

    In that case, consider buying a BMX cassette sprocket, like the Shimano DX.
    They have taller teeth that reduce the risk of chain derailment, they last
    longer, and when you've worn out one face you can flip the sprocket and
    wear it out all over again.

    James Thomson

  17. Zilla

    Zilla Guest

    James Thomson <[email protected]> wrote:
    > "Zilla" <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    >> I'm taking it apart to get the 16-tooth cog
    >> for an SS. Re-assembly is un-desired! :)

    > In that case, consider buying a BMX cassette sprocket, like the
    > Shimano DX. They have taller teeth that reduce the risk of chain
    > derailment, they last longer, and when you've worn out one face you
    > can flip the sprocket and wear it out all over again.
    >
    > James Thomson

    Thanks. I'll do that in the future. In the meantime,
    the "center punch" trick was the winner. It was
    simple and effective!

    --
    - Zilla
    Cary, NC

  18. Werehatrack

    Werehatrack Guest

    On Thu, 24 Jun 2004 14:14:25 -0600, [email protected] wrote:

    >On Thu, 24 Jun 2004 07:45:30 -0400, "Zilla"
    ><[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    >>I have a 9-spd Deore rear derailleur that I want to take
    >>apart, with the 7 biggest cogs riveted togther. What's
    >>the best way to do this?

    ISTR seeing that some cassettes have rivets that are driven flush at
    the big-sprocket end to begin with. I'd drill those out, myself. If
    the head protrudes, then the Dremel would be one of the potential
    tools to use.

    --
    Typoes are a feature, not a bug.
    Surrealism is a pectinated ranzel.

  19. Shaun Rimmer

    Shaun Rimmer Guest

    "mojo deluxe" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]

    > "Michael Dart" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]
    > >
    > > "Shaun Rimmer" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > > news:[email protected]
    > > >
    > > > "Zilla" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > > > news:Z0zCc.1059$%[email protected]

    > > > Don't take it apart - auction the damned thing for fortune! - Thass

    > gotta
    > > be
    > > > the only Shimano derailleur in existence with 9 cogs on it!
    > > >

    > > Yeah, I'd like to see pics of that one myself. :^o
    > >

    > I'm wondering if he meant cassette maybe?

    Well freaking DUH!

    You're sharp today mate! ',;~}~

    Shaun aRe

  20. Shaun Rimmer

    Shaun Rimmer Guest

    "Zilla" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > mojo deluxe <[email protected]> wrote:
    > > "Michael Dart" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > > news:[email protected]
    > >>
    > >> "Shaun Rimmer" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > >> news:[email protected]

    > >> Yeah, I'd like to see pics of that one myself. :^o
    > >>

    > > I'm wondering if he meant cassette maybe?

    > Duhhhh, yes cassette! :)

    Heheheh, I knew whatcha meant mate ',;~}~

    Shaun aRe