Taking photos while riding.

Hriv

Guest
This is how I take digital photos while riding my bike. If any body has more ideas for this kind of
photography please comment. My backpack has a strap that connects the two shoulder straps in the
chest area. I use a padded camera case, secure it to this strap and the camera stays in the case
most of the ride, close to my chest. The case is left unclosed. I use an elastic strap to connect
the camera to my backpack where the two shoulder straps connect, just behind my neck. So when I’m
riding- the camera is in the unclosed case, tied to the elastic strap that hangs over my right
shoulder and connects to the top of the backpack. The length of the elastic strap is just enough to
allow convenient operation of the camera when its out of the case but not long enough for it to hit
any part of the bicycle if I lose grip of it. If I want to take a picture while riding the bike- I
take the camera out of the case using my right hand while my left hand is holding the handle bar,
even when the terrain is not so smooth. I do not use the view finder- I use the LCD screen so I can
see the terrain while taking the shot. If for some reason I must quickly hold the handle bar with
both hands I just drop the camera and grip the bar. The camera hangs securely on the elastic strap
and I get full control of the bike. When conditions allow, I insert the camera back to the case. I
get unbelievable photos of my riding buddies flying on their bikes when I’m in motion next to them.

We're talking still pictures here, right? Going 10-20 MPH on bumpy terrain and taking digital photos
with a compact camera? Are your pictures even clear? Given the 1-2 second shutter delay that the
small cameras have and shooting with auto speed, you would either miss the picture you are trying to
take or it would be blurry. Wouldn't it be better to just stop for a few seconds, snap the photo,
and carry on?

==[Sir]==

On Tue, 30 Sep 2003 17:31:46 +0300, "Hriv" <[email protected]> wrote:

>This is how I take digital photos while riding my bike. If any body
has more
>ideas for this kind of photography please comment. My backpack has a strap that connects the two
>shoulder straps in the
chest
>area. I use a padded camera case, secure it to this strap and the
camera
>stays in the case most of the ride, close to my chest. The case is
left
>unclosed.

<snip long-winded detail about taking pictures with a dangling camera>

This is how I take digital photo while biking. I put my clothes on. I get to where I'm going to
ride. I put my camera (s), lenses, flash and spare batteries in my backpack. I ride me bike. My
friends ride their bikes. If I get to a place that has the makings of a good photo I stop and take
my camera out of my backpack. Then I properly frame the photo and expose the frame. On one camera I
use the LCD. On one camera I use the viewfinder. I get pretty decent photos this way. Ansel Adams
took unbelievable photos. Mine are believable.

pete fagerlin

::Revolutionary! Evolutionary! Yet so retro! :www.yestubes.com

"Hriv" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>... <snip
weirdness>
> I get unbelievable photos of my riding buddies flying on their bikes when I'm in motion next
> to them.

Let's see them then because unbelievable seems to fit your insane sounding methods.

JD put up or shut up

P e t e F a g e r l i n <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> On Tue, 30 Sep 2003 17:31:46 +0300, "Hriv" <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> >This is how I take digital photos while riding my bike. If any body
> has more
> >ideas for this kind of photography please comment. My backpack has a strap that connects the two
> >shoulder straps in the
> chest
> >area. I use a padded camera case, secure it to this strap and the
> camera
> >stays in the case most of the ride, close to my chest. The case is
> left
> >unclosed.
>
> <snip long-winded detail about taking pictures with a dangling camera>
>
> This is how I take digital photo while biking. I put my clothes on. I get to where I'm going to
> ride. I put my camera (s), lenses, flash and spare batteries in my backpack. I ride me bike. My
> friends ride their bikes. If I get to a place that has the makings of a good photo I stop and take
> my camera out of my backpack. Then I properly frame the photo and expose the frame. On one camera
> I use the LCD. On one camera I use the viewfinder. I get pretty decent photos this way. Ansel
> Adams took unbelievable photos. Mine are believable.
>
> pete fagerlin
>
> ::Revolutionary! Evolutionary! Yet so retro! :www.yestubes.com

That's usually how it works. Sometimes you can skip the clothes but it gets uncomfortable. My
pictures are even more believable.

-- The Ogre http://ogrehut.net

"The Ogre" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]... <snip>
> That's usually how it works. Sometimes you can skip the clothes but it gets uncomfortable. My
> pictures are even more believable.
>
> -- The Ogre

If you're sans clothes in those photos that's going to be TOO MUCH reality for us. I think
I'm blind....
--
Westie (Replace 'invalid' with 'yahoo' when replying.)

Lightweight, small digital camera goes in a jersey or shorts pocket. Comes out for a picture. I
worry about falling on it, but since I don't crash it's not a real big worry.

I wish I'd played with that little mountain icon on the camera before today. It turns out it's a
wide-angle option. Now I have to go back to all those places I've visited and take new pictures.
Life is so HARD sometimes.

"Raptor" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> Lightweight, small digital camera goes in a jersey or shorts pocket. Comes out for a picture. I
> worry about falling on it, but since I don't crash it's not a real big worry.

Karma, dude.

Bill "enjoy that camera-shaped bruise" S.

Small cameras are not all the same. I use a Cannon S30. It’s very responsive and the delay is less
then 1 second. The terrain can be not smooth but it should not be very bumpy. When it gets to bumpy
I drop the camera. Taking photos in motion allows taking close ups of my buddies while ridding side
by side with them. The relative speed of me to the photo object is very slow. This is why the
objects are usually not blurry. The background can be blurry but at high shutter speeds and good
angles of photography the background is also sharp. Most of the pictures I take are after stopping,
setting the camera correctly and composing the photos in the optimal way, but the ones that are fun
to take are those catching buddies while ridding next to them. Try it, its very rewarding.

"Sir Ride-A-Lot @careercenter.com>" <Sir.Ride-a-Lot<NOSPAM> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> We're talking still pictures here, right? Going 10-20 MPH on bumpy
terrain
> and taking digital photos with a compact camera? Are your pictures even clear? Given the 1-2
> second shutter delay that the small cameras have and shooting with auto speed, you would either
> miss the picture you are trying to take or it would be blurry. Wouldn't it be better to just
> stop for a
few
> seconds, snap the photo, and carry on?
>
> ==[Sir]==

Most of the pictures I take are after stopping, setting the camera correctly and composing the
photos in the optimal way, but the ones that are fun to take are those catching buddies while
ridding next to them. Try it, its very rewarding.

(Unbelievable might be to strong for you if your not open minded and willing to try new ways to take
photos. I'll say the photos will satisfy your needs, rather then unbelievable, if you want to take
photos in motion.)

> "Hriv" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> <snip weirdness>
> > I get unbelievable photos of my riding buddies flying on their bikes
when
> > I'm in motion next to them.
>
> Let's see them then because unbelievable seems to fit your insane sounding
methods.

> JD put up or shut up

Most of the pictures I take are after stopping, setting the camera correctly and composing the
photos in the optimal way, but the ones that are fun to take are those catching buddies while
ridding next to them. Try it, its very rewarding. But it requires some preparations and skills,
coordination that I doubt if you have any.

On Wed, 1 Oct 2003 14:48:32 +0300, "Hriv" <[email protected]> wrote:

>Most of the pictures I take are after stopping, setting the camera
correctly
>and composing the photos in the optimal way, but the ones that are
fun to
>take are those catching buddies while ridding next to them. Try it,
its very
>rewarding. But it requires some preparations and skills, coordination
that I
>doubt if you have any.
>
>(Unbelievable might be to strong for you if your not open minded and
willing
>to try new ways to take photos. I'll say the photos will satisfy your
needs,
>rather then unbelievable, if you want to take photos in motion.)

Learn a bit about photography and you won't be taking snapshots while riding in order to get a
blurred background.

Here's your first clue:

http://home.pacbell.net/psf0/ggg03/s8.jpg

"Unbeleivable" is a very strong word to describe one's photos.

Since they're so "unbeleivable," why don't you post an example Ansel?

pete fagerlin

::Revolutionary! Evolutionary! Yet so retro! :www.yestubes.com

p.s. This part was the funniest:

"But it requires some preparations and skills, coordination that I doubt if you have any"

"Hriv" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> Small cameras are not all the same. I use a Cannon S30. It's very
responsive
> and the delay is less then 1 second. The terrain can be not smooth but it should not be very
> bumpy. When it gets to bumpy I drop the camera. Taking photos in motion allows taking close ups of
> my buddies while ridding side
by
> side with them. The relative speed of me to the photo object is very slow. This is why the objects
> are usually not blurry. The background can be
blurry
> but at high shutter speeds and good angles of photography the background
is
> also sharp. Most of the pictures I take are after stopping, setting the camera
correctly
> and composing the photos in the optimal way, but the ones that are fun to take are those catching
> buddies while ridding next to them. Try it, its
very
> rewarding.

Sorry, top-poster, but responsible mountain bikers don't ride side-by-side except on Jeep roads and
truck trails, and those would make for boring photos (at least in terms of "action").

Bill "prefers his tracks to be like prospective dates: SINGLE" S.

"Hriv" <[email protected]> top-posted, of course, in message

> > "Hriv" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:<[email protected]>...
> > <snip weirdness>
> > > I get unbelievable photos of my riding buddies flying on their bikes
> when
> > > I'm in motion next to them.
> >
> > Let's see them then because unbelievable seems to fit your insane
sounding
> methods.
> >
> > JD put up or shut up

> Most of the pictures I take are after stopping, setting the camera correctly and composing the
> photos in the optimal way, but the ones that
are
> fun to take are those catching buddies while ridding next to them. Try it, its very rewarding.
>
> (Unbelievable might be to strong for you if your not open minded and
willing
> to try new ways to take photos. I'll say the photos will satisfy your
needs,
> rather then unbelievable, if you want to take photos in motion.)

OK, see how I moved your (non) reply BELOW the (unanswered) question/challenge? No extra charge.

You wrote the exact same thing to Pete Fagerlin, one of the most accomplished
photo/videographers around.

Even allowing for a possible language barrier, you're an idiot.

Bill "clear and focused" S.

PS: When are we gonna see these amazing pics???

"Hriv" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> Most of the pictures I take are after stopping, setting the camera correctly and composing the
> photos in the optimal way, but the ones that are fun to take are those catching buddies while
> ridding next to them. Try it, its very rewarding.
>
> (Unbelievable might be to strong for you if your not open minded and willing to try new ways to
> take photos. I'll say the photos will satisfy your needs, rather then unbelievable, if you want to
> take photos in motion.)

I would love to see some of these photos. All I can visualize based on what you said is a blurry
mess. I also have to wonder about what kind of trail you are on where you can take pictures while
riding _next to_ your buddy. Most of the GOOD trails I have ridden on aren't wide enough to ride
double file.

-- The Ogre http://ogrehut.net

> > "Hriv" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:<[email protected]>...
> > <snip weirdness>
> > > I get unbelievable photos of my riding buddies flying on their bikes
> when
> > > I'm in motion next to them.
> >
> > Let's see them then because unbelievable seems to fit your insane sounding
> methods.
> >
> > JD put up or shut up

"Hriv" <[email protected]> top posted like a moron:<[email protected]>...
> Most of the pictures I take are after stopping, setting the camera correctly and composing the
> photos in the optimal way, but the ones that are fun to take are those catching buddies while
> ridding next to them. Try it, its very rewarding.

If you are riding "next to them" on singletrack, you are riding off-trail and that is even more lame
than your idiotic "method". If an advocate catches you riding off-trail, your reward should be a can
of whup ass.

> (Unbelievable might be to strong for you if your not open minded and willing to try new ways to
> take photos. I'll say the photos will satisfy your needs, rather then unbelievable, if you want to
> take photos in motion.)

Again Superman, put up or shut the hell up. Let's see these satisfying and unbelievable photos you
so skillfully have taken. Either that, or ********.

JD

> > "Hriv" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:<[email protected]>...
> > <snip weirdness>
> > > I get unbelievable photos of my riding buddies flying on their bikes
> when
> > > I'm in motion next to them.
> >
> > Let's see them then because unbelievable seems to fit your insane sounding
> methods.
> >
> > JD put up or shut up

"Hriv" <[email protected]> top posted in response to Pete
Fagerlin:<[email protected]>...
> But it requires some preparations and skills, coordination that I doubt if you have any.

That's a riot. Another e-tard, determining someone's bicycle handling skills through the veil of the
internet. You can ******** until you post some of your shitty pictures, dummy.

JD

"Westie" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> "The Ogre" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]... <snip>
> > That's usually how it works. Sometimes you can skip the clothes but it gets uncomfortable. My
> > pictures are even more believable.
> >
> > -- The Ogre
>
> If you're sans clothes in those photos that's going to be TOO MUCH reality for us. I think I'm
> blind....

I'm the one taking the pics so it's ok for you. The other riders trying to squeeze their eyes closed
while riding technical trails would probably lead to some more exciting photos though.

-- The Ogre (Just don't ask how I hold the camera when I'm riding) http://ogrehut.net

> Sorry, top-poster, but responsible mountain bikers don't ride side-by-side except on Jeep roads
> and truck trails, and those would make for boring photos (at least in terms of "action").
>
> Bill "prefers his tracks to be like prospective dates: SINGLE" S.

I really respect your preferences. I’m sure you enjoy your riding style. My style probably includes
a larger variety. Some of the rides I do are day trips. I ride with friends from work, some times
with my wife. I enjoy taking photos of them and for me it is very challenging. It requires control
of the bike and camera simultaneously, and attention for obstacles ahead on the terrain. I thought
of sharing this technique with other riders.