Taking Your Bike Abroad

adam371

Nov 6, 2005
Hi All,
I'm flying to France in June so I'm looking for either a bike box or bag for my "pride & joy".
Can anyone give some advice on which would be more suitable , a bag or a box?
I'm on a budget so value for money would be a major factor , but obviously I want to look after my bike. Any suggestions?
Cheers.

on a budget -

I have to say the Colorado Cyclist Basic Bike Box should be top on your list.( http://www.coloradocyclist.com/common/products/productdisplay2_v2.cfm?PRRFNBR=18655&CGRFNBR=3&CRPCGNBR=1&CI=3&TextMode=0 )

I wouldn't put my bike in any "travel bag" unless the bike/bag was to stay in my trunk! I have shipped two bikes internationally (states to europe) using the CC/BB, and one of the boxes has been to Mallorca and back twice from NL, which also happened to be the box flown over from the states with me. Box is still in great shape, and I have yet to encounter any bike damage what so ever.

I use packing tape on the box once the straps are tight in case anyone gets cute and pops a buckle. So far it's worked flawlessly.

I'd still love to "upgrade" but since the CC-BB is holding up so well, I've spent my money on other things. By the way my German friend has gone through 2 CR1 hardcases on our annual trip to Mallorca - latches busted, and this year one of the fancy wheels got jamed up into the case, a little fishing and it fell out onto the floor!

may not be a cool looking as some of the expensive cases, but it works.

HR

trico ironcase is the pretty much the gold standard in bike cases.

adam371 said:
Hi All,
I'm flying to France in June so I'm looking for either a bike box or bag for my "pride & joy".
I'm on a budget so value for money would be a major factor , but obviously I want to look after my bike. Any suggestions?
Cheers.

BWH KOFFER Touring Box - nothing else!

hd reynolds said:
BWH KOFFER Touring Box - nothing else!
I've taken my bike on a few flights. Use a bike box. No problems so far. Make sue you pack it correctly. You LBS will pack it for you if you like to show how it should be done. This is important. Most important is one of those bracers that goes into the front fork. Remember to deflate tyres.

adam371 said:
Hi All,
Cheers.

When I've travelled to Europe, I've rented an Iron Case from my LBS. You get the protection of the box at a budget price.