Taking Your Time On The Road

Dora M said:
That's looking really nice. I also take a lot of pictures on my trips. I've had a DSLR for a few years now. I like taking my big telescopic lens with me to capture birds in the trees, or animals that I can't get close to. Strangely enough, I've only got a few pictures in my entire selection of photos that show my bike. I wonder why that is...
These are from a 10yo mobile phone. :D

Nikon or Canon?

Tele-lenses... They are expensive! :D I would probably just use a bright short one, (like 50mm) and then crop...

Are you using something more then 200mm? Mirrored or one these huge ones?

You carry a tripod?

You got a sample? :)

I ride for pleasure. There's something wonderful about feeling the wind on your face, smelling the flowers and just being out in the fresh air. Maybe one day I'll also become more competitive but for now I just like enjoying a nice bike ride and taking in the sights.

Dora M said:
I like to go on long rides in the country, but at my own speed. I prefer to cruise through a beautiful landscape and take in the views, the smells in the air, the feeling of freedom. I often see other bike riders rushing past me, eager to reach their destination, and many of them don't exactly appear like athletes to me.
Do you ride for speed or for pleasure? Or is speed your pleasure?
Some people get pleasure from watching those around them suffer on their bicycles.

I don't recall many people passing me when I was younger. And I almost always enjoyed the scenery. I don't ride as hard as I used to, but I still lose sight of the views from time to time. I do regret no longer being able to do 100 miles in under 5 hours or 200 miles a day. So many beautiful places I can no longer reach.

Yesterday I spoke with a older fellow (50's) (I am 65). He had gotten up early and did a ride with a local group out to a lake - 70 mile trip. I loved to ride out that way. Brought back memories of the Fall Century ride that passed by that lake toward the end. Ride 32 miles to the start, 107 miles with friends, 32 miles home. Enjoyable day.

People are in hurry to get from point A to point B. But sometmes you got to pull over a take in the scenerie. Especially if it's you first time there. Take it in and look at your surroundings.

I usually cycle through the countryside or riverfront for pleasure. It's not about the destination is about the ride.

For me it's both, but I share the feeling with your henchman. I enjoy the ride, but I also pick a nice destination where I can stop and enjoy myself for a while.

I take my time as needed. Most of the time I am riding to get from point A to point B and would like to get there as soon as possible, but safety always comes first. I refuse to ride hurried because I feel that would put me at increased risk of making a mistake and getting hurt. If I am tired or the weather is not so great, I take my time so that I can go at a pace that is sutainable and feels safe. Too bad if others think I'm slow, I just want to take care of myself.