Taking Your Time On The Road

Dora M

Feb 20, 2015
Colombia
I like to go on long rides in the country, but at my own speed. I prefer to cruise through a beautiful landscape and take in the views, the smells in the air, the feeling of freedom. I often see other bike riders rushing past me, eager to reach their destination, and many of them don't exactly appear like athletes to me.
Do you ride for speed or for pleasure? Or is speed your pleasure?

I can go both ways on this topic. Sometimes, I like taking things at a leisurely pace to take in the changing surroundings. Other times I like speeding through a given area to get the thrill from that kind of speed. It all depends upon my mood at that particular moment, and i can enjoy both types of cycling on the same trip for all it matters.

It is just not in me to stroll. If I am not having a good day I tell myself to take it easy but always end up pushing. Now if I am not riding solo I can follow someone else at a slower pace but that doesn't mean I like it.

I usually ride to blow off some steam and play with the GPS data later whilst drinking beer...

That usually involves going fast, but also stopping to make some pictures.

You know, pictures like these: :D (800Kb Limit??? I have a DSLR on the plans @JHuskey!!! <_< )

1.jpg

2.jpg

jhuskey said:
That is one dirty bike. Purple bar tape? What the hell were you thinking?
Why-so-serious??? :D (Cleaaaaaaan, everything cleaaaaaaaaan, peeeeeerfect function.... :blink: :D)

why_so_serious___joker_fan_art_by_vega_artworks-d5bee9t.jpg

517056d1428414128-how-often-clean-hand-gun-pyle-cleaning-rifle.jpg

I ride for fun. Fun means fast. When I come to a hill, fun means getting it behind me ASAP, which means attacking the hill. My reward is bombing the down side. Until I hit ass-pucker speed and begin to coast---which, unfortunately or fortunately, depending on how you look at it, gets slower as I get older.

I am so glad I put getting old behind me years ago I feel sorry for you guys are still aging.:)

jhuskey said:
That is one dirty bike. Purple bar tape? What the hell were you thinking?
That's fresh dirt, not old dirt. Fresh dirt good, washes off easily, old dirt bad.

oldbobcat said:
That's fresh dirt, not old dirt. Fresh dirt good, washes off easily, old dirt bad.
It was raining for 7 days in a row when that pic was taken, that was something like the first sunny day when I took the picture... I was just throwing some oil on top of the dirt to keep things from rusting too much.

I washed it later... :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nE9az5LeIYg

I also like to take my time when I ride, what's the rush. The bike is the perfect mean of transportation to see the world and enjoy ourselves at a nice speed, I love it. :)

The speed is cool. But the scenery is what makes the ride so much more enjoyable. Most people are trying to make good time and get to their point of destination. Not me.

I ride for both, sometimes I'm doing intervals and thus hammering away not paying a lot of attention to sight and sounds, other times I'm taking in sights and sounds having a fun leisure ride even if it might be a long ride.

Do what you like doing and don't worry about what others are doing or may or may not be thinking about you as they pass you, if you like riding your bike at a your pace good for you, you're at least doing some form of physical activity which is something that about 78% of the rest of the population is not doing! So good job and keep it up.

Better save a little on the legs for then to outrun the Devil. That is the ultimate sprint.

Some day they will take away my guns and force me into some damned geriatric warehouse to 'care' for me until I breathe my last. I will try to use that time to smell a rose and ride the geezer trike out the front gate fast enough that the sleeping guard doesn't see me.

With a decent tailwind I should make happy hour down at the local watering hole...the one with the H-D's out front...before the floor nurse notices I ain't there for my meds.