Mountain Bikes · Public discussion

Tales from the other side

Started by Bruce Edge · · Last activity · 3 posts · 515 views

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Mountain Bikes
Published
9 April 2004
Last activity
9 April 2004
Original author
Bruce Edge
Posts
3
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
515
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–3 of 3
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. I had given up on light weight XC bikes. I had decided they were
    fragile, expensive, maintenance intensive and unforgiving in ones choice
    of lines. I had decided that one needed to own a sturdy steed and just
    get stronger by riding it.

    Then I broke my joker frame. So, I stripped it and sent every
    serviceable part out since the whole thing was dead until I got the
    frame back anyways.

    The funny thing is that in the mean time, I picked up a loaner, an old
    specialized M4, V-brakes, but full XTR, that's about 10 lbs lighter than
    my joker. Minimal travel, but light, very light. It's like I have rocket
    assist now.

    I can fly on this thing. I catch more air on this than on the joker.
    Granted I don't lauch it off the bigger stuff, but I feel like I got
    wings. Every little bump is an opportunity for a tail kick. Yeah, sure,
    at first I was landing like I didn't care and getting that nasty wheel
    tacoing sound when you tire rubs a seat or chain stay, but I'm getting
    the hang of the finesse thing. I no longer land sideways and tweak
    everything to within a hair of their designed stress tolerances, I go
    around rocks, (yeah, I know, what a concept), and I can hang with all my
    buddies on their freeride 5+ inch rigs, well with a few exceptions, the
    pumpkin patches that I can't clear in a single bound :-)

    I swear this thing is making me a better rider by forcing me to pay
    attention to lines, try fly over the nasties, not through them.

    I'm just so confused now. I don't what I want.
    I hope I can still ride my pig when I get it back.

    -Bruce

  2. In <[email hidden]>,
    Bruce Edge <[email hidden]> opined:

    Quoted message said:

    I swear this thing is making me a better rider by forcing me to pay
    attention to lines, try fly over the nasties, not through them.

    Tell me you aren't trolling.

    Quoted message said:

    I'm just so confused now. I don't what I want.
    I hope I can still ride my pig when I get it back.

    You sure you'll -want- to?

    --
    Dave Salovesh
    [email hidden]
    (REPLACE example WITH mindspring TO EMAIL ME)

  3. Dave Salovesh said:

    In <[email hidden]>,
    Bruce Edge <[email hidden]> opined:

    Quoted message said:

    I swear this thing is making me a better rider by forcing me to pay
    attention to lines, try fly over the nasties, not through them.

    Tell me you aren't trolling.

    Trolling ?! I'm trying to convey an epiphany here.
    I guess I was getting lazy and just going straight over/through a lot of
    stuff because I could. There's a kind of grace in dancing through a rock
    field without taking any hard blows.

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    I'm just so confused now. I don't what I want.
    I hope I can still ride my pig when I get it back.

    You sure you'll -want- to?

    That's just it, I'm not sure, that's what's worrying me.

    -Bruce

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.