Talk me into buying a new wheelset, would you? Please?

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by Bweber, Sep 22, 2010.

1. Bweber

Bweber New Member

[SIZE= 10pt]So here’s the thing. I live in VT/US and winter is coming. For those of you who don’t know that means below zero (Fahrenheit) temperatures and 3-ft snow banks where the road’s shoulder used to be. So I have to get set up for indoor training.[/SIZE]

[SIZE= 10pt]I’ve been told to get a “trainer tire” for my trainer. I figure that for a while I’ll be going back and forth between the trainer and the road, so I want to just get a second rear wheel assembly that I can swap back and forth. Then it occurred to me that the stock Shimano WH-R500a’s that came with my bike were something I was planning to upgrade at some point anyway. So why not buy a really good set of wheels now and use the WH-R500’s as my trainer wheels?[/SIZE]

[SIZE= 10pt]That begs the question of what wheels I want to get. I’d like to start doing some racing next spring, though it will be more fun racing (Lance doesn’t quake in terror at the thought of my arrival). So what’s a good set? I’d rather not spend in the thousands, but then again, I don’t see any point in spending $500 just to get a second set of roughly the same quality as my current wheels. [/SIZE]

[SIZE= 10pt]I guess I’m looking for where the cutoff in quality/performance/price is. I’d like to spend no more than $1000, but if there’s a set of wheels for $1300 that’s truly a cut above, well, I would be listening . . .[/SIZE]

[SIZE= 10pt]Or maybe there’s a great set for $800 and there’s no point in spending more unless you are prepared to shell out over $2000?[/SIZE]

[SIZE= 10pt]I’m kind of new to all this, so I have no sense of components. This a pure road/racing/exercise bike for me. I never use it for commuting or anything else, so a dedicated racing wheel is fine. These will go on a CAAD 9. I’m assuming it would make sense for me to at least get into entry-level carbon for the weight savings? [/SIZE]

[SIZE= 10pt]Thanks,[/SIZE]

[SIZE= 10pt]Ben[/SIZE]

Tags:

2. jollyrogers

jollyrogers New Member

i just got a set of hed kermesse wheels for training/road racing. ~$750 retail, moderately high spoke count (24/28), and c2 wide rim profile. only a handfu of rides, but enjoying them so far

3. CalicoCat

CalicoCat Member

I am pretty much in EXACTLY your situation, although I want someone to talk me OUT of buying a new wheelset. I know all the reasons why I want them(light, responsive, aerodynamic - reynolds carbon clinchers that I can't afford) but would love someone to tell me that my cheap, old, stock wheels are perfectly fine for racing, training, trainer, etc . . . the only problem is that I know it isn't true, and I know how much better the wheels I want are :)

Good luck making your decision. I would love to hear what you end up doing . . .

4. davereo

davereo Well-Known Member

Your cheap stock wheels are perfect for racing, training and using on your trainer.....LOL I have to agree that the wheel market is the most confusing area of cycling. It would be nice if you could just select a wheel off the shelf somewhere that performs in every way you want it to. For me I would select a set of wheels that are bomb proof and are light as a feather. Anyone know of any?

5. Bweber

Bweber New Member

:) If you find them let me know. I almost bought a set of Mavic R-SYS this afternoon. Only problem is I don't know really where I'm going with the biking. Maybe I'll race next season? If I do that I should probably keep my Shimanos for training and get a really good set of carbon "race day" wheels? If I just keep burning up miles for exercise and the joy of doing it the Mavics might be great, or the Shimanos would do just fine for that matter. I've decided I should just wait and think about it some more. I can get a cheap $100 back wheel for use on the trainer. That should get me through for now.

Ben

6. tbick

tbick New Member

For inexpensive - but big bang for your buck take a look at the Reynolds Solitude or perhaps the Williams System 30. They both have good aero characteristics at 1600g for around $500.

7. quenya

quenya New Member

I just got some Easton EA90 aero wheels for my road bike. They are a lot lighter than my old wheels, mavic aksiums, they spin up fast, and have a nice feel. Certainly these aren't the best wheels out there but the deal I got on them was unbeatable brand new 2011s for 450$. I have no question that they will serve me just fine on group rides and race days until I can afford some superlight carbon race wheels.

8. Threshold

Threshold New Member

I've actually been looking for a set of wheels myself for a bit of time now. I've been research here and there and from what I read everywhere, the best bang for the buck are the ROL Race SL wheels. They are sub 1600g (1550g to be exact... lol) for the pair and can be found for around $600. Research them and read about them and I still yet have to find something negative posted about this wheelset.

Here's their website from the manufacturer...
    http://www.rolwheels.com/rol_race_sl_wheels.php

And here's their review on Roadbikereview.com, where I go to research pretty much everything about cycling. You can see that after about 70+ review, the rating is still 4.82 out of 5.00...
    http://www.roadbikereview.com/cat/wheels/wheelsets/rolwheels/PRD_366181_2490crx.aspx

These will be the wheels that I get, I just need to justify spending that much money on cycling based on my own personal financial situation. If not for that, I would have bought these wheels a while ago.

But also thought that you might want to read this article as well just to show you that there are other more important things to improve on a bike other than the wheels... interesting article actually...
    http://biketechreview.com/reviews/wheels/63-wheel-performance

Hope this helps.