talked to Kent bikes

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by n2t, May 8, 2007.

1. n2t

n2t New Member

Talked to kent bikes today. I was told the denali would last me years on my 10 mile round trip to work. But I was told that their 300 and 600 dollar bikes were no better, just had nicer named stuff and that none of their bikes are recomended for say a 100 mile ride. OK, wth? First why can I not do 100 miles but I can ride to and from work 10x at 10 miles each explain this? Second how can a 147 dollar bike perform as good at a 600 dollar bike in the same line? I mean wouldn't the carbon/alluminum frame with name parts ect (gmc denali limited edition) be idk, better? From what I was told they both have the same life expectancy and work only as "comuter" bikes. I'm very very confused as to why the upgraded parts and price if it doesn't add to the bikes abilities. Does it just give you a platform where things like seat, bars, and gears are worth being replaced unlike the 147 dollar version where it's not really worth upgrading much other than the seat? What's the deal?

Tags:

2. kdelong

kdelong Well-Known Member

I don't have an answer for you on this one. If the bike will do 10 miles many times, it should be able to do a century. The only thing that I can think of is that the frame may not be designed for rider comfort on a prolonged ride. As far as the compnents, my guess is that some people like to have more expensive components on their bikes. Status or something like that. Why do recreational riders pull all of the 105 components off thier new bike and have them replaced with Dura Ace?

3. n2t

n2t New Member

Lol idk, to be honest even sora components are an upgrade from my sti stuff, lol. He did mention comfort would be a problem and didn't specify component wear so that may have been what he was refuring to. Perhaps he's just not good with verbal comunication. I still can't believe a company offers a 147 dollar bike, and a 550 dollar bike and then tells you other than one being prettier there is no practical differance. At least he's honest. But I was also instructed the bike would last me years as a comuter and that's all I need so I've very happy with it. With a few mods another person used one of these bikes to go 3400 miles sofar and is still kicking. So if I get half that out of stock components it was honestly money well spent wallmart bike or not. Maybe when I learn exactly what I like and don't like I'll upgrade but if it works as a comuter I don't really see a point. I even picked up a pair of trek gloves today to save wear and tear on my hands.

4. p38lightning

p38lightning New Member

I expect that the bit about the 100 mile ride has something to do with rider comfort, not component reliability.

A big difference between low end, mid range, and high end, bicycles in a bike line is typically the WHEELS. Wheels are probably the most expensive parts on a bike, and there is a world of difference between them. For the speed boys, low weight (responsive handling an acceleration) areodynamics and hub bearing resistance are big factors. For tourers and commuters rim strength and higher spoke count (32 or 36),and spoke quality are factors (durability and weight capacity). If you get wheels with good quality eyleted double wall rims, double butted DT Swiss or Wheelsmith spokes, built on decent Shimano hubs, your wheels will stay true, not pop spokes, and need less frequent hub rebuilds. Take a look at the price range and features of wheels on Nashbar, Excel Sports , Performance Bike to name a few , and in bike specifications and you'll see what I mean.

5. n2t

n2t New Member

Makes sense. I'll probably ride the heck out of this thing and then see what I want to do. Already put around 50 miles on it and counting. Seems like an ok bike for a cheapy.