Talkin' trackstands...

easyrider

Dec 6, 2002
I was trackstandin' around with some teammates the other day (red light) and I mentioned that I think there is now a time limit on how long guys can trackstand. My mates looked at me like I was nuts. They didn't know that trackstands, and the term itself, come from track racing (I forgive them, they are ten years younger than me).

After a brief discussion of the practice of trackstanding in sprint races they thought the whole thing was pretty cool. But I never got my question answered: Is there now a time limit? And after that the guy who was in front has to continue in front?

I believe you are right. I thought it was because some guys made it a sport to stand as long as possible just for the joke. I heard of to guys making it to almost half an hour on the nationals several years ago just for the laugh afterwards.

It 's fun for spectators for max. 5 minutes but then it gets kinda boring and its certainly a problem for live television.

I'll look up the rule and briefly explain it later.

rules concerning sprint tournaments

UCI rule 3.2.039 No trackstands allowed in the first lap

UCI rule 3.2.040 Trackstandin is limited to 3 minutes per heat after passing 3 minute limit the rider on the front must take the lead on order of the starter

UCI rule 3.2.048 point 4a When during trackstand a rider looses balance, rides more then 20cm backwards, jups, falls, hit the opponent or border the heat has to be ridden again the rider commiting the error has to take the lead for the first lap.

Thanks maarten!

Good information to know for next time we're standing at a red light.

Originally posted by maarten
I believe you are right. I thought it was because some guys made it a sport to stand as long as possible just for the joke. I heard of to guys making it to almost half an hour on the nationals several years ago just for the laugh afterwards.

It 's fun for spectators for max. 5 minutes but then it gets kinda boring and its certainly a problem for live television.

I'll look up the rule and briefly explain it later.

That would be sooooooo boring to watch on TV