Tall Cyclists vs. Cold Weather

Manweiser

Aug 16, 2010
Pardon me if there are other threads on this, but I have not be able to find them (at least current ones).

I am in the market for something to keep my legs warm on rides between 35 and 55 degrees. Anyone know of cycling tights with an inseam over 34"? Or has every tall cyclist given up and gone with leg warmers?

Manweiser said:
Pardon me if there are other threads on this, but I have not be able to find them (at least current ones).

I am in the market for something to keep my legs warm on rides between 35 and 55 degrees. Anyone know of cycling tights with an inseam over 34"? Or has every tall cyclist given up and gone with leg warmers?

I use leg warmers, or I wear bib knickers or bib tights. I've found regular tights are a PIA on the bike and tend to not stay in place. The beauty of leg warmers is, of course, that they can be taken off and shoved in a back pocket, which is what I do throughout most of the winter, here.

alienator said:
I use leg warmers, or I wear bib knickers or bib tights. I've found regular tights are a PIA on the bike and tend to not stay in place. The beauty of leg warmers is, of course, that they can be taken off and shoved in a back pocket, which is what I do throughout most of the winter, here.

I wish I had you winters A. Do you want to switch homes/jobs for let's say the next 6 months ? It could be fun.

I'm dealing with the same scenario Manweiser, I'm 6'4". Here in NE our winters can be a biatch, but I agree with Alienator about leg/arm warmers. Plus add in some underarmour and/or compression materials for the torso and some booties for shoes.

gman0482 said:
I wish I had you winters A. Do you want to switch homes/jobs for let's say the next 6 months ? It could be fun.

I'm dealing with the same scenario Manweiser, I'm 6'4". Here in NE our winters can be a biatch, but I agree with Alienator about leg/arm warmers. Plus add in some underarmour and/or compression materials for the torso and some booties for shoes.

Actually I miss full on winters, like winters in the Canadian Rockies kind of stuff.

Manweiser said:

I use long socks and/or booties to compensate for any shortness in the tights or tendency for them to ride up the calf.

At 55 I use knee warmers only. They're plenty good enough at that temperature.

When it starts to get cold, I use tights. I have leg warmers but I like the tights better. They must make them with long leg sizes, although I'm afraid I can't help you out there.