Tallest competitive cycling pro in the last twenty years

Originally posted by Espada9
Have to agree with George on this one, the newer frame materials are very strong and durable, plenty of testing goes into a tubeset before its used to build a frame (and carry the badge of the frame builder).
My Orbea frame (Altec 2 Aluminum) is plenty strong enough for my 245 pound bulk (the forks are older profile carbon and they flex like aldente pasta).

A quality frame builder like Merckx would never put their name (and reputation) on a frame built with material that wouldn’t hold up to the average joe racer (regardless weather he weighs 135 of 260).

Iweigh in at 130kg, i think that is about 280 pound. My cheap as Asti one piece carbon lasted 5 years before it got "sloppy". My new carbon Giant doesnt seem to mind my fat backside to much either. Im a sprinter so work bikes harf, alloy I find strong as hell but to harsh, but Steel? I can change gear on most steel bikes just by kicking hard out of the saddle (Im not known for my smooth style though!). Quess everyone has an opinion on this, but thats my experiance anyhow

Originally posted by byron27
not many that i know of are over 6'3" or so. boonen is 192cm, backsteadt is 193-194cm. Thats not to say that taller people couldnt be competitive, as the amount of people 6'4" or so or taller in the general population isnt high so the amount that would be tall and ride professionally would be a lot smaller than say, a pro of "average" height.
Cycling, in my personal opinion, has to do with the power you can generate per kg of body weight. So it doesnt matter what height you are, if you can generate 4.5-6.5 W/kg then you will be very competitive, irrespective of your height.
Of course , finding a frame and equipment that fits you and doesnt break is a lot harder. Manufacturers cater for the "common denominator" which is about 5'9"-5'10" and 70-75kg. So if you are anything above 80kg make sure you check the warranty on anything you buy. Im 6'5" and 85kg but still havent had an alloy frame that has lasted longer than 6 months....and lets not talk about rims.....

Actually, the tall rider will have the advantage in the time trial because the lung capacity and other physical attributes comprising the human motor increase much more than the corresponding increase in frontal surface area exposed to the wind. Therefore, there is less wind resistance per unit of body weight. This advantage evaporates in the steeper climbs because wind resistance is not much of a factor. I suppose that heat dissipation would be a disadvantage for a tall rider in the mountains, even if he is very thin because he would still be thicker than he would be with the same proportions at a shorter height, and the thicker you are, the harder it is to stay cool. This is why keeping the overall body mass minimized becomes ever so important for the taller cyclist. Consider Merckx' fanatical attention to this detail. A shorter cyclist, like Ullrich for example, would not be quite as concerned. He is bigger proportioned than most, but due to his shorter height, his body mass is still a lot lower than a cyclist of say 6'2" Indurain.

Originally posted by gntlmn
Actually, the tall rider will have the advantage in the time trial because the lung capacity and other physical attributes comprising the human motor increase much more than the corresponding increase in frontal surface area exposed to the wind. Therefore, there is less wind resistance per unit of body weight. This advantage evaporates in the steeper climbs because wind resistance is not much of a factor. I suppose that heat dissipation would be a disadvantage for a tall rider in the mountains, even if he is very thin because he would still be thicker than he would be with the same proportions at a shorter height, and the thicker you are, the harder it is to stay cool. This is why keeping the overall body mass minimized becomes ever so important for the taller cyclist. Consider Merckx' fanatical attention to this detail. A shorter cyclist, like Ullrich for example, would not be quite as concerned. He is bigger proportioned than most, but due to his shorter height, his body mass is still a lot lower than a cyclist of say 6'2" Indurain.

Why does everyone think Ulrich is short? I believe he's a good 6' which is plenty tall for a grand tour GC rider (Lance is barely 5' 10").

Why does everyone think Ulrich is short? I believe he's a good 6' which is plenty tall for a grand tour GC rider (Lance is barely 5' 10").

I think you're right about this. I gathered the 5'8" figure for Jan from this official website, and I think it's a missprint. Why would the press keep calling him the Big German when he is only 5'8"? I have never seen him in person, but I have a feeling you're right. He's probably 6'0". Here's the website with the missprint (or at least I am beginning to suspect it is).

http://cbs.sportsline.com/cycling/riders/page/400058

Well I am glad to see I am not the only "big" guy on a bike. I am 6'4" and 215 lbs. Hills hurt but the flats and sprints sure are a lot of fun with the "little" guys.

Originally posted by birdman23
Well I am glad to see I am not the only "big" guy on a bike. I am 6'4" and 215 lbs. Hills hurt but the flats and sprints sure are a lot of fun with the "little" guys.

215? You’re a waif!

I’m 6’ 4” but I’ve “grown” to a svelte 240, my racing weight was 193 and I had to put in mega miles for months to get down to that weight. That was over 10 years ago, since then I’ve put in plenty of time in at the gym, I would like to get down to 220, that would put me at a very low body fat percentage.

Most big guys can motor on the flats but can’t climb well; the exception is that on the power climbs (short big gear climbs) I could drop most of the climbers when I was racing.

A larger rider (if they do specific training) can produce a great deal more watts than a small rider, the ability to sustain that power output on a medium to long climb goes out the window due to the “extra” dead weight of upper body muscle mass.

People always say that Indurain could not climb well but look at all of the 2nd place finishes in mountain stages in the tour (over 10 I believe).
He took second not because he was beat by a better climber, but his humble nature dictated that he only took what he needed. Look at what he was able to accomplish when he really put the hammer down (very rare).
Hautacom in 94’ or La Planya in 95’ look at all of the supposed “better climbers” he destroyed on those climbs.

He was able to produce huge amounts of power for extended periods of time, but didn’t have the “kick” (much like Ulrich) you see in someone like Pantani or Armstrong, but the steady pace he could sustain left most riders floundering in his wake.

215? You’re a waif!

I’m 6’ 4” but I’ve “grown” to a svelte 240, my racing weight was 193 and I had to put in mega miles for months to get down to that weight. That was over 10 years ago, since then I’ve put in plenty of time in at the gym, I would like to get down to 220, that would put me at a very low body fat percentage.

Most big guys can motor on the flats but can’t climb well; the exception is that on the power climbs (short big gear climbs) I could drop most of the climbers when I was racing.

A larger rider (if they do specific training) can produce a great deal more watts than a small rider, the ability to sustain that power output on a medium to long climb goes out the window due to the “extra” dead weight of upper body muscle mass.

People always say that Indurain could not climb well but look at all of the 2nd place finishes in mountain stages in the tour (over 10 I believe).
He took second not because he was beat by a better climber, but his humble nature dictated that he only took what he needed. Look at what he was able to accomplish when he really put the hammer down (very rare).
Hautacom in 94’ or La Planya in 95’ look at all of the supposed “better climbers” he destroyed on those climbs.

He was able to produce huge amounts of power for extended periods of time, but didn’t have the “kick” (much like Ulrich) you see in someone like Pantani or Armstrong, but the steady pace he could sustain left most riders floundering in his wake.

LOL. I have lost quite a bit of weight since I started riding again. I had been off the bike for about 8 years but I am back at it now and getting in the best shape I have been in years. I definitely fit in the "motor in the flat" category, but my climbing sucks on long sustained climbs. Short climbs are fine because I can power to the top relatively quick.

LOL. I have lost quite a bit of weight since I started riding again. I had been off the bike for about 8 years but I am back at it now and getting in the best shape I have been in years. I definitely fit in the "motor in the flat" category, but my climbing sucks on long sustained climbs. Short climbs are fine because I can power to the top relatively quick.
What size frame do you ride? Do you need a long top tube?

I have a difficult time finding a frame I can ride because my position requires a top tube length a min of 60cm.
I have an ORBEA with Altec2 tubing I use as a rain bike, it's fairly comfy but the top tube is "only" 59.5cm.
My primary bike is an older FONDRIEST (99') with a 60.5cm top tube, this fits me perfectly.

PS. Both frames are 62cm center.

What size frame do you ride? Do you need a long top tube?

I have a difficult time finding a frame I can ride because my position requires a top tube length a min of 60cm.
I have an ORBEA with Altec2 tubing I use as a rain bike, it's fairly comfy but the top tube is "only" 59.5cm.
My primary bike is an older FONDRIEST (99') with a 60.5cm top tube, this fits me perfectly.

PS. Both frames are 62cm center.

I am riding a 62 cm Trek 5200. I have a very short torso so I don't need a really long top tube. In fact my stem is only 130mm.

I am all legs.

I am riding a 62 cm Trek 5200. I have a very short torso so I don't need a really long top tube. In fact my stem is only 130mm.

I am all legs.

I guess I’m just a genetic freak, long femur and long torso=custom frame?

You ever seen those pictures of kenyan runners? They have hips that come right out of their armpits! That's me but about a hundred pounds heavier.

ha ha

Custom frame is probably a good bet. What size stem do you use?

Custom frame is probably a good bet. What size stem do you use?
130 stem and the saddle is slammed all the way back!

Originally posted by Clark six8
Anyone know who is the tallest competitive cycling pro in the last twenty years? I'm asking because I'm 6' 8" and I have friends my size that are Olympic athletes - they want to know if they have any chance of being competitive on a road bike.

Tallest pro cylclist in the last 20 years? I think its...

Edwig Van Hooyadonk - 6' 8"

I am an amateur (enthusiast) cyclist, I have a Trek 1000 for about a year. I weight 310 lbs and I'm 6'0 and the bike has not broken yet. Pretty strong stuff. HEHE. I have put several hundred miles on it already. Looks solid still.

Raul

They are saying that Magnus is possibly the heaviest rider to ever compete in the tour at 216 lbs.

Anyone know how tall he is? He certainly looks very tall.

They are saying that Magnus is possibly the heaviest rider to ever compete in the tour at 216 lbs.

Anyone know how tall he is? He certainly looks very tall.

At just 5'7" tall, Robbie McEwen (Lotto-Domo) doesn't have the imposing build of the archetypal sprinter--super sprinter Alessandro Petacchi (Fassa Bortolo) is over six feet tall, and the typically statuesque sprinter form tops out at the hulking 6'3", 195-pound Magnus Backstedt.

From http://bicycling.com/tourdefrance/experts/columns/0,3489,s1-8988,00.html

Interesting - I was quoting the 216 lb weight of Magnus directly from the OLN broadcast yesterday.

So it sounds like maybe he's put on more than twenty pounds of muscle somewhat recently?

Interesting - I was quoting the 216 lb weight of Magnus directly from the OLN broadcast yesterday.

So it sounds like maybe he's put on more than twenty pounds of muscle somewhat recently?

I don't know. I was kind of wondering about this myself, mainly whether the riders are officially weighed before the Tour de France or whether they just tell them what they weigh.

All riders will vary a little in weight throughout the year. I wouldn't be surprised if a big man like Magnus varied this much throughout the year. But it seems like these weights are all over the map for not only Magnus, but other riders as well. I think reporters look for a weight that has been listed at some time in the past, and then they just repeat it without regard to whether his current weight has either gone up or down.