Tamale cook-in and Peanut Butter Bread

Discussion in 'Food and nutrition' started by D.Currie, Apr 7, 2006.

  1. D.Currie

    D.Currie Guest

    First the tamales, then the peanut butter bread...

    A while back, I posted about a cooking group that might be forming in the
    Longmont CO area, and I know there are some RFC folks nearby. We've got our
    first get-together planned, and it's going to be a tamale-making event. The
    masa will be ready and the meat cooked by the time we get there, so it's
    pretty much shredding the meat and assembling the tamales.

    If anyone's nearby and interested, let me know and I'll put you in contact
    with the folks who are running the show. If no one's interested, I guess
    I'll just report back and let you know how it all works out.

    Now for the bread.

    I started with a basic white bread dough, and used about 1/3 of it for
    tonight's calzones. Another 1/3 is in the fridge, waiting for me to do
    something with it tomorrow. The last third, I added large dollop of creamy
    peanut butter and some vanilla. Let it rise, then rolled it out and
    slathered it with chunky peanut butter, dusted it with brown sugar and what
    the heck, threw on some peanuts, too. Rolled it up, let it rise, baked it.

    Waited until it was cool to slice it. Damn, it's good. I could eat the whole
    loaf. The peanut butter smear might have been just a little overkill, but I
    was originally thinking of doing rolls, like cinnamon rolls, but with
    peanuts and peanut butter instead. Then I decided to just leave it as a
    loaf.

    The bread by itself is good. Maybe next time I'll skip the peanut butter in
    the roll-up and just use the nuts and some brown sugar.

    I think tomorrow I'll toast it lightly (in the toaster oven. I think it
    would make a mess in a regular toaster) and put a little butter on it. Yum.

    For fans of peanut butter and jelly, I suppose you could roll jelly or jam
    in there, but I don't like that combo (yes, I'm weird.)

    This is a recipe I'm going to tweak a bit, so next time I'll be measuring,
    so I'll be able to post an actual recipe instead of "some of this, some of
    that."

    --
    Donna

    Tags:

  2. Boron Elgar

    Boron Elgar Guest

    On Fri, 7 Apr 2006 21:44:28 -0600, "D.Currie"
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >First the tamales, then the peanut butter bread...
    >
    >A while back, I posted about a cooking group that might be forming in the
    >Longmont CO area, and I know there are some RFC folks nearby. We've got our
    >first get-together planned, and it's going to be a tamale-making event. The
    >masa will be ready and the meat cooked by the time we get there, so it's
    >pretty much shredding the meat and assembling the tamales.
    >
    >If anyone's nearby and interested, let me know and I'll put you in contact
    >with the folks who are running the show. If no one's interested, I guess
    >I'll just report back and let you know how it all works out.

    Wish I could be there. I am a great admirer of tamales and it isn't
    anything I have tackled as I think it should really be a group effort.

    If you have your masa and meats recipes, I'd love to see them,,
    because one of these days, I am going to try this.

    Boron

  3. D.Currie

    D.Currie Guest

    "Boron Elgar" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > On Fri, 7 Apr 2006 21:44:28 -0600, "D.Currie"
    > <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    >>First the tamales, then the peanut butter bread...
    >>
    >>A while back, I posted about a cooking group that might be forming in the
    >>Longmont CO area, and I know there are some RFC folks nearby. We've got
    >>our
    >>first get-together planned, and it's going to be a tamale-making event.
    >>The
    >>masa will be ready and the meat cooked by the time we get there, so it's
    >>pretty much shredding the meat and assembling the tamales.
    >>
    >>If anyone's nearby and interested, let me know and I'll put you in contact
    >>with the folks who are running the show. If no one's interested, I guess
    >>I'll just report back and let you know how it all works out.
    >>

    > Wish I could be there. I am a great admirer of tamales and it isn't
    > anything I have tackled as I think it should really be a group effort.
    >
    > If you have your masa and meats recipes, I'd love to see them,,
    > because one of these days, I am going to try this.
    >
    > Boron

    They haven't actually talked about recipes, but I'm going to suggest
    (demand?) that they have the complete recipes to hand out that night. One of
    the women mentioned that she had a recipe for sweet potato tamales, which I
    never heard of, but she said they were good. I doubt we'll be making those,
    but I'm going to ask her for it when I see her.

    Donna

  4. sf

    sf Guest

    On Sat, 08 Apr 2006 09:20:14 -0400, Boron Elgar wrote:

    > On Fri, 7 Apr 2006 21:44:28 -0600, "D.Currie"
    > <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    > >First the tamales, then the peanut butter bread...
    > >
    > >A while back, I posted about a cooking group that might be forming in the
    > >Longmont CO area, and I know there are some RFC folks nearby. We've got our
    > >first get-together planned, and it's going to be a tamale-making event. The
    > >masa will be ready and the meat cooked by the time we get there, so it's
    > >pretty much shredding the meat and assembling the tamales.
    > >
    > >If anyone's nearby and interested, let me know and I'll put you in contact
    > >with the folks who are running the show. If no one's interested, I guess
    > >I'll just report back and let you know how it all works out.
    > >

    > Wish I could be there. I am a great admirer of tamales and it isn't
    > anything I have tackled as I think it should really be a group effort.

    I wish I could be there too... it sounds like a lot of fun and it's a
    good way to learn how to wrap tamales!

  5. sf

    sf Guest

    On Sat, 8 Apr 2006 10:46:49 -0600, D.Currie wrote:

    > They haven't actually talked about recipes, but I'm going to suggest
    > (demand?) that they have the complete recipes to hand out that night. One of
    > the women mentioned that she had a recipe for sweet potato tamales, which I
    > never heard of, but she said they were good. I doubt we'll be making those,
    > but I'm going to ask her for it when I see her.

    Will they have the fixings for sweet corn tamales? Yummy stuff!

  6. D.Currie

    D.Currie Guest

    "sf" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > On Sat, 08 Apr 2006 09:20:14 -0400, Boron Elgar wrote:
    >
    >> On Fri, 7 Apr 2006 21:44:28 -0600, "D.Currie"
    >> <[email protected]> wrote:
    >>
    >> >First the tamales, then the peanut butter bread...
    >> >
    >> >A while back, I posted about a cooking group that might be forming in

    >> the
    >> >Longmont CO area, and I know there are some RFC folks nearby. We've got

    >> our
    >> >first get-together planned, and it's going to be a tamale-making event.

    >> The
    >> >masa will be ready and the meat cooked by the time we get there, so

    >> it's
    >> >pretty much shredding the meat and assembling the tamales.
    >> >
    >> >If anyone's nearby and interested, let me know and I'll put you in

    >> contact
    >> >with the folks who are running the show. If no one's interested, I

    >> guess
    >> >I'll just report back and let you know how it all works out.
    >> >

    >> Wish I could be there. I am a great admirer of tamales and it isn't
    >> anything I have tackled as I think it should really be a group effort.
    >>

    > I wish I could be there too... it sounds like a lot of fun and it's a
    > good way to learn how to wrap tamales!

    I can't wait. We're also talking about doing cabbage burgers, dim sum, egg
    rolls -- all sorts of things that would be fun to make in a group. And in
    the fall, we'll probably do some canning. They've got a commercial pressure
    canner that we can use.

    We're also talking about doing some kind of Iron Chef cooking contests,
    maybe for charities. I think that would be a riot.

    I'm just hoping we get enough people to sustain the group. If we get enough
    at the first few gatherings, I figure people will tell their friends, and
    we'll have a sizable enough group to keep it going.

    Donna