General fitness, health and nutrition · Public discussion

tamale pie...first try at this casserole

Started by Hahabogus · · Last activity · 5 posts · 278 views

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
General fitness, health and nutrition
Published
19 June 2004
Last activity
19 June 2004
Original author
Hahabogus
Posts
5
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
278
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–5 of 5
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. well it looks good in the oven. and made enough for 4
    or 5 meals.

    TAMALE PIE (By: Laura Holmes - My Mom) Serves 4 (For more
    than four, increase recipe for each additional 4 people and
    baking time)

    INGREDIENTS:

    2 - lbs. ground hamburger 1 - small can tomato sauce (8
    oz.) 1 - 14-15 oz. can stewed tomatoes rotel style (do
    not drain) 1 - 15-16 oz. can whole kernel corn (do not
    drain) 1 - large white onion - diced small 1 - large can
    medium or large pitted black olives (drain off all juice)
    *forget this, replaced by next line* 1 - can green chiles
    (small can) 1 - cup yellow corn meal 1 - tsp. garlic
    salt* replaced with 1 tsp garlic puree 1 - tsp. onion
    salt* replace with 1/2 tsp onion powder (not used) 2 -
    tbs. chili powder 1 - tsp. ground black pepper
    - salt to taste if required

    Shredded mild cheddar cheese (enough to cover top of
    tamale pie to your liking)

    1 - 9x13 rectangular baking dish or med. size casserole
    dish (it's best to spray dish well with Pam to prevent
    sticking).

    PREPARATIONS:

    1. In a large skillet, crumble hamburger and brown
    until done.
    2. Add diced onions, garlic salt*, onion salt*, chili
    powder and black pepper. *powder not salt*
    3. Simmer until onions are clear.
    4. Add tomato sauce, stewed tomatoes, corn and
    corn meal.

    5. Add olives and mix well, then and pour into baking
    dish.* Since I hate olives forget these*
    6. Add Green Chiles, Taste and adjust spices (you may
    need salt), mix well and pour into the prepared
    baking dish

    7. Place in 375F preheated oven for 30 minutes (or
    until bubbling around edges).
    8. Remove from oven and spread shredded cheese all
    over the top.
    9. Return to oven until cheese is fully melted and
    lightly browned.
    10. Remove from oven and let stand for at least 10
    minutes to set up.

    Serves 6-8 people, medium servings. Serve with steamed
    tortillas or crackers if desired. For larger servings,
    just double recipe.

    Variations/Substitutions:

    If you prefer to use garlic powder or onion powder, cut
    amount in half
    (i.e., ½ tsp.). You may add cilantro, parsley or celery
    to your liking. Hot peppers may also be added to
    your liking. White pepper may be used in place or
    black pepper.

    Enjoy!

    --
    Once during Prohibition I was forced to live for days on
    nothing but food and water.
    --------
    FIELDS, W. C.

  2. hahabogus said:

    1 - large can medium or large pitted black olives (drain
    off all juice) *forget this, replaced by next line*

    Oooooohh ...I'm sorry. Wrong answer.

    Without the olives, you only have mockery tamale pie.

    nb
    --
    Be considerate of others and trim your posts. Thank you.

  3. Quoted message said:

    From: hahabogus [email hidden]

    Quoted message said:

    well it looks good in the oven. and made enough for 4
    or 5 meals.

    TAMALE PIE (By: Laura Holmes - My Mom) Serves 4 (For more
    than four, increase recipe for each additional 4 people and
    baking time)

    INGREDIENTS:

    2 - lbs. ground hamburger 1 - small can tomato sauce (8
    oz.) 1 - 14-15 oz. can stewed tomatoes rotel style (do
    not drain) 1 - 15-16 oz. can whole kernel corn (do not
    drain) 1 - large white onion - diced small 1 - large can
    medium or large pitted black olives (drain off all
    juice) *forget this, replaced by next line* 1 - can
    green chiles (small can) 1 - cup yellow corn meal 1 -
    tsp. garlic salt* replaced with 1 tsp garlic puree 1 -
    tsp. onion salt* replace with 1/2 tsp onion powder (not
    used) 2 - tbs. chili powder 1 - tsp. ground black pepper
    - salt to taste if required

    Shredded mild cheddar cheese (enough to cover top of
    tamale pie to your liking)

    1 - 9x13 rectangular baking dish or med. size casserole
    dish (it's best to spray dish well with Pam to prevent
    sticking).

    PREPARATIONS:

    1. In a large skillet, crumble hamburger and brown
    until done.
    2. Add diced onions, garlic salt*, onion salt*, chili
    powder and black pepper. *powder not salt*
    2. Simmer until onions are clear.
    4. Add tomato sauce, stewed tomatoes, corn and corn
    meal.

    5. Add olives and mix well, then and pour into baking
    dish.* Since I hate olives forget these*
    5. Add Green Chiles, Taste and adjust spices (you may
    need salt), mix well and pour into the prepared
    baking dish

    6. Place in 375F preheated oven for 30 minutes (or
    until bubbling around edges).
    7. Remove from oven and spread shredded cheese all over
    the top.
    8. Return to oven until cheese is fully melted and
    lightly browned.
    9. Remove from oven and let stand for at least 10
    minutes to set up.

    Serves 6-8 people, medium servings. Serve with steamed
    tortillas or crackers if desired. For larger servings,
    just double recipe.

    Variations/Substitutions:

    If you prefer to use garlic powder or onion powder, cut
    amount in half
    (i.e., ½ tsp.). You may add cilantro, parsley or celery to
    your liking. Hot peppers may also be added to your
    liking. White pepper may be used in place or black
    pepper.

    Enjoy!

    I don't agree with the replacement of white pepper to black
    pepper. Everyone on the planet should toss out white pepper
    ceptin for those Cajuns who refuse to let the flavors of
    their food shine through the heat rather than dissolve the
    taste buds with white pepper.

    Otherwise, your recipe sounds precisely like the tamale pie
    my mom made for our family and friends back in the 60's.

    Mom also made an interesting snack back in the 60's (pre-hot
    pockets) called Hasty Hots.

    1 pound grated cheddar cheese 1 large onion sauteed 1 can
    sliced Lindsey Olives 1 can Las Palmas Chili Sauce

    She'd mix this combo up and stuff hard rolls through a slit
    she cut in the roll. Wrap the rolls up in foil and bake for
    20 minutes.

    Ellen

  4. hagabogus tells of....

    Quoted message said:

    tamale pie...first try at this casserole


    You and I were both first-timers with a tamale pie today. I
    went surfing to find something I'd not made before to use up
    canned corn and the slightly over one pound of ground beef
    needing attention. Along with the "plain" tomato sauce I
    didn't have but one small can of an Italian one, no whole
    tomatoes, but I did have an abundance to Trader Joe's
    Marinara to use. Snatching from you, next time I will just
    stir the cornmeal into the tomato mix, as I did enjoy the
    texture and flavor, but the little "globs" of cornmeal mix
    atop the (six serving size) casserole stayed looking
    thoughtless. I also did not have olives and used a can of
    Ortega chopped chili. Plus I had plenty of sharp cheddar for
    both inside, as well as atop each serving. I've had my fill,
    and yet another five servings awaits individual freezing for
    some other lazy days.

    Picky ~JA~

  5. [email hidden] (Richard's ~JA~) wrote in news:10036-40CCDF77-
    [email hidden]:

    Quoted message said:


    hagabogus tells of....

    Quoted message said:

    tamale pie...first try at this casserole


    You and I were both first-timers with a tamale pie today.
    I went surfing to find something I'd not made before to
    use up canned corn and the slightly over one pound of
    ground beef needing attention. Along with the "plain"
    tomato sauce I didn't have but one small can of an Italian
    one, no whole tomatoes, but I did have an abundance to
    Trader Joe's Marinara to use. Snatching from you, next
    time I will just stir the cornmeal into the tomato mix, as
    I did enjoy the texture and flavor, but the little "globs"
    of cornmeal mix atop the (six serving size) casserole
    stayed looking thoughtless. I also did not have olives and
    used a can of Ortega chopped chili. Plus I had plenty of
    sharp cheddar for both inside, as well as atop each
    serving. I've had my fill, and yet another five servings
    awaits individual freezing for some other lazy days.

    Picky ~JA~

    Actually mine was rather tasteless....needs salt and more or
    stronger chili powder.

    --
    Once during Prohibition I was forced to live for days on
    nothing but food and water.
    --------
    FIELDS, W. C.

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.