Tan Hill 200k

Arthur Clune wrote:
> Fuller report to follow at some point (I'm sure MSeries will as well),

I'll do my RR onTuesday I promise.

Simon P - we got passed with about a centimetre to spare, almost
certainly by that same feckin' caravan. They beeped us quite
agressively for no apparent reason as well.
Shame about your little 'off' - those sheep never tell tales though!

We did a lot better than I had thought we would. I didn't really know
what time it was at any point on the ride, until we got back and then I
was pleasantly surprised to be back so early. :- )

Andy S - wish my Dad was as fit/intrepid/mad as yours!!! I'm trying to
get both my parents to convert to cycling....bought them bikes and copy
of Cyclecraft but they're still proving rather attached to the old
religion at the moment....my Dad seems excited by the prospect of
helping us out at PBP and now seems to know more about the event than I
do though, which is a good sign!

Arthur Clune wrote:
> Fuller report to follow at some point (I'm sure MSeries will as well),

Tan Hill Challenge (200km), 13th August 2006

The weather wasn't looking good, dark and miserable, like my mood on
the day. I didn't feel good at all. Met a few old friends and a new
one.

We set off in the rain in a largish groups at a fairly steady pace. It
seemed jittery I dropped off a few times but easily caught up again and
made sure I was close to the front to keep out of trouble. Chatted with
some riders from the organising club, I felt good to be able to roll
along comfortably with them. Chute ! A crash behind, the club riders
dropped back, I didn't this is an Audax, what could I do ? Leo and I
and one other pushed on, slightly faster than before but soon decided
to let the newly reformed group absorb us again. We stuck with this
group pretty much all the way to the first control. I dropped off to
eat and went through a really bad black patch, I felt so upset and
miserable. My companion kindly waited for me despite me insisting she
go ahead. We passed our other friend so the three of us arrived at the
café together.

Beans on toast. I didn't feel like eating. Met Simon Proven again, I
feel bad because I didn't recognise him despite only seeing him a few
hours earlier. My frame of mind was bad. We set off in the company of
Ian, on his first randonee, though he soon dropped off the back as our
pace was too high for him. That doesn't happen very often. We slowed
but he told us to go on and not wait, so that's what we did. It was
gently uphill towards Hawes on a road that we travelled on a few weeks
prior in the opposite direction. It went OK, I perked up. We caught
some other riders checking the info. control then started the ascent of
Buttertubs. I'd explained to Leo that I would wait at the top or at
the bottom if I found myself riding faster than her. I did, so I did.
I overtook many other riders on the hill, made me feel good. Buttertubs
didn't used to be as hard as this, the headwind was a *****, a low
gear and my force made the front wheel jump around on the steepest
parts. I made it OK and waited with those whom I hadn't passed at the
top. Leo didn't take long to arrive. Down to the valley, left then
right and the start of Stonesdale. The scene of my double crash and
puncture in the snow in 2004. I'd not climbed from this side before.
The hairpins looked ugly but I was ready for them and they surrended
before me, I told Ray I was going to make my bike dance on the hills,
it's a shame about Ray, he turned back from Masham and wasn't
there to see it. Leo ascended this part ahead of me and we stayed
together to the Tan Hill Inn, I shielded her from the wind as we felt
our way through the mist to the pub.

It was busy and expensive. I didn't want to stay for long. We rushed
our food and gave ourselves bad stomachs. Thankfully we had a long
descent with a cross/tail wind so it was fast and easy cycling to
Reeth. I was a little concerned about the climb over Redmire Moor, not
done it from this side but I knew it was tricky. We'd picked up a
companion on Stonesdale, he remained with us on this stretch and
beyond. My fears were unfounded, I was going well and the tailwind
helped. Over the top and down to Leyburn. Quick stop for a control and
tea then a fast 60 clicks to the finish. The three of us caught Tiho
and Jutta on their tandem but they were going a little too fast for me.
I'd done a 10km turn on the front myself and needed to slow to
recover. Man it was wet, we made good time but I was getting tired so
we slowed and let the others go. Just the two of us, we can make it of
we try. We made it by 18:25. All in all a good ride.

Blonde wrote:

> Nice write up dude. I like all the song references!

Martin's singing was a true morale-booster on our Thorne-Edinburgh ride.
There was something absurdly amusing about his rendition of 'I Can See
Clearly Now'* ringing out from the rear of the group, at 11.30pm, just as
the drizzle set in!

Keep up the good work!

*and other classy numbers

Simon Bennett wrote:
> Blonde wrote:
>
> > Nice write up dude. I like all the song references!

> Martin's singing was a true morale-booster on our Thorne-Edinburgh ride.
> There was something absurdly amusing about his rendition of 'I Can See
> Clearly Now'* ringing out from the rear of the group, at 11.30pm, just as
> the drizzle set in!
>
> Keep up the good work!
>
> *and other classy numbers

I can see clearly now Lorraine has gone.

OK guys, heres my challenge. Give me some lyrics and challenge me to
work them into my RR of Sundays 200.