Tan lines

Discussion in 'Recumbent bicycles' started by William Higley, Mar 13, 2004.

  1. And before you start salivating about all the images that
    are racing through your mind STOP IT.

    This is a serious (well kind of) inquiry about sun exposure.
    I normally wear a fairly stout sun screen when riding during
    the late spring through early fall. Even with the
    application of this I still get fairly tan. The down side of
    the tan is that, it is almost completely on my exposed
    forward facing parts. My trailing edges tend to remain a
    somewhat lighter shade of pale.

    Add to this the tan lines from my riding gloves, my elbow
    pads*, wearing a helmet on a shaved head, and I start to
    look, well interesting to say the least.

    At least when I rode my df's, I was tan fore and aft.

    I'm just curious how many others of you develop a lovely
    patchwork tan during the warmer parts of the year.

    William Higley, Sr. Vision R-50 RANS Rocket

    * ~ RR Xing on DF, broken elbow three years ago, screwed
    back together, nice case of arthritis developing, looking
    at elbow replacement sometime down the road, trying to
    protect whats left.

    Tags:

  2. Devon

    Devon Guest

    "William Higley, Sr." <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > And before you start salivating about all the images that
    > are racing through your mind STOP IT.
    >
    > This is a serious (well kind of) inquiry about sun
    > exposure. I normally wear a fairly stout sun screen when
    > riding during the late spring through early fall. Even
    > with the application of this I still get fairly tan. The
    > down side of the tan is that, it is almost completely on
    > my exposed forward facing parts. My trailing edges tend to
    > remain a somewhat lighter shade of pale.
    >
    > Add to this the tan lines from my riding gloves, my elbow
    > pads*, wearing a helmet on a shaved head, and I start to
    > look, well interesting to say the least.
    >
    > At least when I rode my df's, I was tan fore and aft.
    >
    > I'm just curious how many others of you develop a lovely
    > patchwork tan during the warmer parts of the year.
    >
    > William Higley, Sr. Vision R-50 RANS Rocket

    I usually make sure I ride 1/2 of the time on my stomach and
    half on back ... gets kinda tricky with clip-ins.

  3. Mike Schwab

    Mike Schwab Guest

    http://www.100megspop2.com/explorer/truecyclist.html 5th line.

    DeVon wrote:

    > "William Higley, Sr." <[email protected]> wrote in
    > message news:<[email protected]>...
    > > And before you start salivating about all the images
    > > that are racing through your mind STOP IT.
    > >
    > > This is a serious (well kind of) inquiry about sun
    > > exposure. I normally wear a fairly stout sun screen when
    > > riding during the late spring through early fall. Even
    > > with the application of this I still get fairly tan. The
    > > down side of the tan is that, it is almost completely on
    > > my exposed forward facing parts. My trailing edges tend
    > > to remain a somewhat lighter shade of pale.
    > >
    > > Add to this the tan lines from my riding gloves, my
    > > elbow pads*, wearing a helmet on a shaved head, and I
    > > start to look, well interesting to say the least.
    > >
    > > At least when I rode my df's, I was tan fore and aft.
    > >
    > > I'm just curious how many others of you develop a lovely
    > > patchwork tan during the warmer parts of the year.
    > >
    > > William Higley, Sr. Vision R-50 RANS Rocket
    > >

    > I usually make sure I ride 1/2 of the time on my stomach
    > and half on back ... gets kinda tricky with clip-ins.

  4. The funky tan on arms and legs isn't a problem, but the
    bizarre stripes on my ever-enlarging forehead (hey, I'm not
    losing hair, I'm gaining face!) prompted me to start wearing
    Headsweats bandannas. I've gotten to quite like them. They
    keep my helmet from getting too grungy and have the effect
    of moderating the temperature of my noggin...never gets too
    hot or too cold.

  5. William I had forgotten to put sunblock on certain parts of my bod at a bike
    event I was at last year that lasted for 5 hours. I had THE MOST RED BURNT
    spots on my neck and legs, I'll never forget! I researched some sun screen /
    block products and found "Bullfrog"
    http://www.bullfrogsunscreen.com/a_sku1.asp
    works the best for me It's an alcohol base that dries quickly and sweat
    won't have it coming off. At our Fla. HPV event last week, I played out in
    the SUN for 5+ hours with NO Sunburn problems.
    EZ Biker :) Pompano Beach, Fl. (KILLER B Pilot / Aero Squadron)

    "William Higley, Sr." <[email protected]> wrote in
    message news:[email protected]...
    > This is a serious (well kind of) inquiry about sun
    > exposure. I normally
    wear
    > a fairly stout sun screen when riding during the late
    > spring through early fall. Even with the application of
    > this I still get fairly tan.

  6. Geob

    Geob Guest

    > I researched some sun screen block products and found
    > "Bullfrog"

    I took my family to Hawaii last year. We 'researched'
    sunscreens by asking some surfers at a crowded little
    surf shop on North Shore. They agreed Bull Frog was the
    one, IIRC.

  7. "GeoB" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > > I researched some sun screen block products and found
    > > "Bullfrog"
    >
    > I took my family to Hawaii last year. We 'researched'
    > sunscreens by asking some surfers at a crowded little
    > surf shop on North Shore. They agreed Bull Frog was the
    > one, IIRC.

    I suspect that's the same stuff you can get for fighting
    ants and other bugs. X-|

    Anyway, the problem isn't big in Denmark. If I should get a
    tan by accident, I don't get many chances for flashing it
    anyway. BooHoo.