Tandem bike question

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by Scooter the mighty, Jul 16, 2004.

  1. I was thinking of getting my wife a tandem bike for her birthday. I have
    two issues with this.

    1) We have a 6 inch leg length differential. Is there going to be a problem
    with this?

    2) I notice that the majority of tandem bikes cost in the $5,000 range
    (athough I have not been looking very long). This is way outside my price
    range. I can go a bit over $1,000, but much higher just isn't in the cards.
    Assuming that we are just going to ride it and not enter races or anything,
    is this enough to get something decent?

    Tags:

  2. Burley makes some reasonable tandems that start around $2000 (perhaps less).
    Most tandems allow a lot of adjustment in the stoker position, but you will
    want to make sure there's enough front and back adjustment to put the bars
    in a comfortable place for her.

    I'd recommend that you give her a picture of the bike, and then go and find
    one that fits well together.

    --
    Eric Gunnerson

    Visit the C# product team at http://www.csharp.net
    Eric's blog is at http://weblogs.asp.net/ericgu/

    "Scooter the mighty" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > I was thinking of getting my wife a tandem bike for her birthday. I have
    > two issues with this.
    >
    > 1) We have a 6 inch leg length differential. Is there going to be a

    problem
    > with this?
    >
    > 2) I notice that the majority of tandem bikes cost in the $5,000 range
    > (athough I have not been looking very long). This is way outside my price
    > range. I can go a bit over $1,000, but much higher just isn't in the

    cards.
    > Assuming that we are just going to ride it and not enter races or

    anything,
    > is this enough to get something decent?

  3. "Eric Gunnerson" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > Burley makes some reasonable tandems that start around $2000 (perhaps

    less).
    > Most tandems allow a lot of adjustment in the stoker position, but you

    will
    > want to make sure there's enough front and back adjustment to put the bars
    > in a comfortable place for her.

    She's actually the taller of us two. She's 6'3" and leggy. I'm assuming
    she'll be up front.

    > I'd recommend that you give her a picture of the bike, and then go and

    find
    > one that fits well together.

    That's a good idea.

  4. On Fri, 16 Jul 2004 12:37:43 -0700, "Scooter the mighty"
    <[email protected]>:

    >I was thinking of getting my wife a tandem bike for her birthday. I have
    >two issues with this.

    >1) We have a 6 inch leg length differential. Is there going to be a problem
    >with this?

    No. The only thing is it reduces your options if you both want to
    take turns as captain.

    >2) I notice that the majority of tandem bikes cost in the $5,000 range
    >(athough I have not been looking very long).

    Wow! Those are big ticket tandems. You can get an Orbit tandem over
    here for around the $1,000 mark, which is your budget, and of course
    there's always the second hand market.

    I can recommend the Thorn Voyager from <url:http://www.sjscycles.com>,
    a very well balanced bike from a firm that now supplies more tandems
    than any other in the UK (yes, they sell to the US as well, but there
    won't be any dealers).

    I have to say, though, that the Bike Friday Family Tandem was a
    delight, and adjustable enough to accommodate the significant
    disparity in heights between my wife and myself (so we could both have
    a go at captain). Plus IIRC it can be split down for air travel or to
    fit inside a (biggish) car.

    <url:http://www.bikefriday.com/bikecat99.cfm?cat=10>

    Probably towards the top end of your budget, but a great bike.

    Guy
    http://www.chapmancentral.co.uk

  5. AustinMN

    AustinMN Guest

    Scooter the mighty wrote:
    > I was thinking of getting my wife a tandem bike for her birthday.

    Ha! Nobody gets a tandem as a gift for someone else...they get it as a gift
    for themselves and hope the other person perceives it as a gift to them.

    OTOH, it may be the only way you will get her on a tandem is to give her
    one!

    Austin (thinking about wife's birthday coming up...I wonder if she'd like a
    tandem bicycle...)
    --
    I'm pedaling as fast as I durn well please!
    There are no X characters in my address

  6. "AustinMN" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > Scooter the mighty wrote:
    > > I was thinking of getting my wife a tandem bike for her birthday.

    > Ha! Nobody gets a tandem as a gift for someone else...they get it as a

    gift
    > for themselves and hope the other person perceives it as a gift to them.

    Well yes, there is that, but I think my chances are good. She's more of an
    avid biker than me.

    > OTOH, it may be the only way you will get her on a tandem is to give her
    > one!

    That's true, because she would never spend that much money.

  7. "Scooter the mighty" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > I was thinking of getting my wife a tandem bike for her birthday. I have
    > two issues with this.
    >
    > 1) We have a 6 inch leg length differential. Is there going to be a

    problem
    > with this?

    I have ridden with my kids with a greater leg length differential.

    > 2) I notice that the majority of tandem bikes cost in the $5,000 range
    > (athough I have not been looking very long). This is way outside my price
    > range. I can go a bit over $1,000, but much higher just isn't in the

    cards.

    Both of our tandems were bought used. The first one we paid just under $1000
    for; the second I think was $1300. These are both beautiful custom-built
    bikes.

    It seems like tandems come up on the market fairly frequently around here,
    so finding a used one that would generally fit isn't that hard. A friend of
    mine in a more rural area says this is impossible. He's looking at a $250
    (!!) tandem at WalMart to see if his wife can stand tandeming. I guess if
    they like it, they can then look at upgrading later.

    --
    Warm Regards,

    Claire Petersky
    Home of the meditative cyclist:

  8. Karen M.

    Karen M. Guest

    Scooter wrote:
    > I was thinking of getting my wife a tandem bike for her birthday. I have
    > two issues with this.
    >
    > 1) We have a 6 inch leg length differential. Is there going to be a problem
    > with this?
    >
    > 2) I notice that the majority of tandem bikes cost in the $5,000 range
    > (athough I have not been looking very long). This is way outside my price
    > range. I can go a bit over $1,000, but much higher just isn't in the cards.
    > Assuming that we are just going to ride it and not enter races or anything,
    > is this enough to get something decent?

    Where do you live? Tandem nuts are happy to do group rides, share
    ideas, offer test rides.
    I have two tandems. The one was less than $500 brand-spanking new
    (GT Crestline, and it's a major step up from a Schwinn Twinn).
    Counterpoint was, er, higher (used).
    HTH

    --Karen M.

  9. Chalo

    Chalo Guest

    "Scooter the mighty" <[email protected]> wrote;

    > She's actually the taller of us two. She's 6'3" and leggy.

    You know that's just not fair.

    There are not enough women that tall for every man to have his own, so
    you shorties should leave them alone and not distract them from
    finding their rightful tall mates. Hmph.

    Chalo Colina

  10. Chalo

    Chalo Guest

    "Scooter the mighty" <[email protected]> wrote;

    > She's actually the taller of us two. She's 6'3" and leggy.

    You know that's just not fair.

    There are not enough women that tall for every man to have his own, so
    you shorties should leave them alone and not distract them from
    finding their rightful tall mates. Hmph.

    Chalo Colina

  11. Mark Hickey

    Mark Hickey Guest

    "Scooter the mighty" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >I was thinking of getting my wife a tandem bike for her birthday. I have
    >two issues with this.
    >
    >1) We have a 6 inch leg length differential. Is there going to be a problem
    >with this?

    It will certainly narrow down your choices, but there are tandems out
    there that should be suitable. Assuming she's on the back, and that
    she's the shorter one (hope the PC police are asleep - they'll accuse
    me of sexism for that)... you can probably get away with a frame that
    has a stoker top tube too tall for her to stand over comfortably.
    That's not really a problem on a twofer since she doesn't have to put
    a foot down except when getting off (which she'll do with you still
    holding the bike).

    Errrr, unless she's the tall one, in which case... oh, you can figure
    it out. ;-)

    >2) I notice that the majority of tandem bikes cost in the $5,000 range
    >(athough I have not been looking very long). This is way outside my price
    >range. I can go a bit over $1,000, but much higher just isn't in the cards.
    >Assuming that we are just going to ride it and not enter races or anything,
    >is this enough to get something decent?

    For that you should look into a used bike - there are quite a few out
    there, and I'd personally rather have a nice used tandem than a cheap
    (relative term) new tandem.

    Mark Hickey
    Habanero Cycles
    http://www.habcycles.com
    Home of the $695 ti frame

  12. Scooter the mighty wrote:
    > I was thinking of getting my wife a tandem bike for her birthday. I have
    > two issues with this.
    >
    > 1) We have a 6 inch leg length differential. Is there going to be a problem
    > with this?

    Not if the taller one will be in front, and maybe not even if the tall
    one will be in back.

    > 2) I notice that the majority of tandem bikes cost in the $5,000 range
    > (athough I have not been looking very long). This is way outside my price
    > range. I can go a bit over $1,000, but much higher just isn't in the cards.
    > Assuming that we are just going to ride it and not enter races or anything,
    > is this enough to get something decent?

    Go used. I got mine from Ebay, close enough that I could pick it up
    myself. Shipping a tandem will be a challenge, but it's possible. The
    front should fit the captain fairly well. The back can compromise, as
    long as there is enough room and the seat tube is low enough that the
    stoker (rear rider) can pedal properly. The stoker doesn't need to be
    able to straddle the top tube or put a foot down flat.

  13. > > 2) I notice that the majority of tandem bikes cost in the $5,000 range
    > > (athough I have not been looking very long). This is way outside my

    price
    > > range. I can go a bit over $1,000, but much higher just isn't in the

    cards.
    > > Assuming that we are just going to ride it and not enter races or

    anything,
    > > is this enough to get something decent?
    > >

    > Go used. I got mine from Ebay, close enough that I could pick it up
    > myself. Shipping a tandem will be a challenge, but it's possible. The
    > front should fit the captain fairly well. The back can compromise, as
    > long as there is enough room and the seat tube is low enough that the
    > stoker (rear rider) can pedal properly. The stoker doesn't need to be
    > able to straddle the top tube or put a foot down flat.

    Thanks everyone! I found a used Cannondale tandem this weekend. I paid
    $1,400, so it wasn't TOO much above my budget. Now I guess I just have to
    get to be in as good of shape as her so I don't drag her back.

  14. Jeff Starr

    Jeff Starr Guest

    On Mon, 19 Jul 2004 09:02:37 -0700, "Scooter the mighty"
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >> > 2) I notice that the majority of tandem bikes cost in the $5,000 range
    >> > (athough I have not been looking very long). This is way outside my

    >price
    >> > range. I can go a bit over $1,000, but much higher just isn't in the

    >cards.
    >> > Assuming that we are just going to ride it and not enter races or

    >anything,
    >> > is this enough to get something decent?
    >> >

    >> Go used. I got mine from Ebay, close enough that I could pick it up
    >> myself. Shipping a tandem will be a challenge, but it's possible. The
    >> front should fit the captain fairly well. The back can compromise, as
    >> long as there is enough room and the seat tube is low enough that the
    >> stoker (rear rider) can pedal properly. The stoker doesn't need to be
    >> able to straddle the top tube or put a foot down flat.

    >Thanks everyone! I found a used Cannondale tandem this weekend. I paid
    >$1,400, so it wasn't TOO much above my budget. Now I guess I just have to
    >get to be in as good of shape as her so I don't drag her back.

    Hi, for anyone else reading this thread, I was in my LBS today, Wheel
    & Sprocket Brookfield.
    Anyway, each summer they run a 50 at 50% off sale. Well they had a
    Burley Duet tandem originally $2499, marked down to $1249. I think it
    was a 2002 or 3 model, but still that is quite a deal.

    http://wheelandsprocket.com/site/intro.cfm

    Life is Good!
    Jeff