Tandem Evening Ride

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by Mr. Beanz, Sep 29, 2015.

1. Mr. Beanz

Mr. Beanz Well-Known Member

Darn sun is going down too soon now so we had to break out the lights getting ready for the darkness. A short midweek ride around the hood. 12 miles with 800 ft gain. Easy cruise having fun with the lights. :p

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MXtc16mWheU

Tags:
    BobCochran likes this.

2. Corzhens

Corzhens Well-Known Member

You are like a documentarist with that video. What an enviable ride you had there because I had never experienced riding in tandem bike except once in the mountain resort. From the feel of it, that tandem bike is a good ride especially if I would be riding with a biker. And since I am the only one in the family with interest in serious biking perhaps I should buy my own tandem bike and offer a ride to some bikers in our village.

BobCochran and Mr. Beanz like this.
  3. Keyan

Keyan Member

I had never used a bike intended for two riders, it look quite interesting though. I love the video especially towards the end of it when I finally saw the lights working and serving their purpose. A nice video blog and editing I must say. Made me want to try biking in tandem

Mr. Beanz likes this.
  4. Damien Lee

Damien Lee Active Member

I've never had the opportunity to ride on a bike intended for two riders. The prospect has always intrigued me though and I'm sure it's a lot of fun. Great video by the way, very informative and enjoyable to watch. I don't ride in the evenings but the area you're riding around in looks fantastic as the sun sets.

Mr. Beanz likes this.
  5. Mr. Beanz

I have had an ongoing thread on another forum with a local section. I would get about 20,000+ views every year. Mainly because I recorded and photographed many local riders and forum members. I also blog all my material as well as a youtube channel so I still get plenty of views. My blog alone gets about 14,000 views per year. I have documented just about all my rides this way over the last 7 years maybe.

I've been called a documentarian by quite a few. :p

There are a ton of riders in our area and on the trail we frequent. So posting pics and material of some riders has liked riders to one another and resulted in many friendships. An example is our friend Alex. I posted a few videos and pics of him over time and other riders have approached him and told him that they know who he is through my material ha ha! :lol:

If you ever get a chance to ride a tandem, do it! It's a lot of fun! I will say though, it takes a lot of effort to get synchronized with one another. We have had a few disagreements over the first few month we started riding tandem 18 years ago. But it all works out and benefits both riders.

A friend of mine has a hard time fining partners so he found an organization that set him up with blind people that want to ride. He does it fairly often. :)

6. Mr. Beanz

Thanks! B) If you ever get the chance, try it! It' brought the wife and I closer on and off the bike. :wub:

7. Mr. Beanz

Thanks! We live at the base of a bit mountain range. So we ride uphill to escape traffic. Makes for some great scenery and ride settings when the sun sets.

One of our local mtn roads is very popular with cyclists. We have done a few night rides and late afternoon rides there. I caught a nice pic once of the wife at the top when the sun was setting. Great area for cyclists.

Nothing great about the photography but it captures the tone of the ride that day. ^_^

[​IMG]

8. BobCochran

BobCochran Well-Known Member

Mr. Beanz, what a great video! Thanks for posting it. Can you tell me what brand of lights you are using -- including the rear blinkies?

Thanks a ton

Bob

Mr. Beanz likes this.
  9. Mr. Beanz

Thanks again Bob! Cygolite 300 metro. Package deal, the headlight with a rear red blinkie about $70. B)

Kind of cheating, I was using 2 headlights. ;)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

BobCochran likes this.
  10. Mr. Beanz

Tonight another refreshing cool ride. Tonight another rider going the opposite way shouted, "WOW I LIKE YOUR LIGHTS!". :lol:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

BobCochran likes this.
  11. BobCochran

Thanks, Mr. Beanz! I agree the Cygolite products are excellent quality. Is the rear blinkie a "Hotshot" model? How do you attach them to your helmets, do you use the Cygolite helmet mounts or just glue them onto the helmet?

Thanks and enjoy the day. It is pretty soggy over here with the rains.

Bob

12. Mr. Beanz

Pretty simple. I used a little strap with velcro. It was one of those little things I had from an old camera mount strap. One of those things you don't toss out cause you know some day wit will come in handy. :lol:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

BobCochran likes this.
  13. sunshiney

sunshiney Member

That looks like a beautiful time of evening for a ride. My boyfriend and I like to go out for a walk around the neighborhood at that time of night since it's so pleasant, but I've never considered a tandem bike, it looks like so much fun!

Did you find it difficult at first to get into rhythm with each other's pedaling? And since it's so much longer than a regular bike, does turning feel different?

Mr. Beanz likes this.
  14. Mr. Beanz

Heck yes! It took a month or two to be able to ride it efficiently. We have different pedaling styles. I like to spin high revs while she liked a harder mashing gear. At first it seemed we were fighting each other on the bike. After some time she has adapted more to a more spinning technique like mine. Not quite as high cadence but better than before. So it takes time to get in synch with one another.

Plus the counterbalancing on my part is much more than a single bike. My upper body needs a few short rides to get used to riding the tandem if we haven't been on it much. Every move she makes throws the tandem for a jerk. She is very relaxed but still I feel every movement. If she goes for he water bottle, she tells me beforehand. If she doesn't, the stutter in the pedal stroke throws us off and leaning over? That just might throw us both off the bike if I am not ready for it. But after time and working out the communication needs, it's a blast!

Yes, one must remember they are on a tandem. When we first started riding, I turn a little too soon after a red light. Luckily it was slow speed because I hit the island with the back wheel. We fell to the side but luckily I was able to get my foot out.. She was laying down with the bike about a foot from the ground when I caught it. I managed to pull her backup ha ha! That was a good save! :lol:

sunshiney and BobCochran like this.
  15. BobCochran

Hi Mr. Beanz, thanks a lot for the close up photos and the discussion of what tandem riding is like. Having never done a tandem ride myself, I imagine it must be a wonderful feeling of accomplishment -- riding together in a way that supports each other.

There was a couple in my area that rode a tandem but I have not seen them in about a year. I will have to stay alert for them. Maybe at the next group ride that my local bike shop hosts, I can ask about them.

Thanks a ton

Bob