Tandem Improvements?

Tim Steele

Guest
Well, our new budget MTB tandem (Ammaco Other Half) is going okay.. although the nearside rear
chainstay has a slightly worrying notch in it (filed by the previous owner) and my friend who knows
everything about bikes is worried about the rear wheel disintegrating the first time we try and go
up a hill!

So far all I've done to it is remove the knobbly tyres and fit Schwalbe Silentos, add a computer,
bend the gear hanger so it's parallel (sigh), change the captain's saddle and fit some lights.

The rear wheel looks pretty much like a standard MTB rear wheel with a 6 speed freewheel, and
arguably this isn't enough for a tandem. What do people think - should we panic, throw away the rear
wheel and replace it now, or wait until it breaks? If replacement is imperative, what with? I've
seen a rear wheel which an LBS built for a 20st policeman which looks pretty strong - 13 gauge
spokes, very chunky rim with eyelets, strong hub, so that might be the way to go. The snag of course
is that strong hubs seem to be invariably cassette (after all the bearings are further apart) which
means you're more or less forced to go to 7-8 speed, which means new gear selector, new chain etc.

Advice welcome! (Myra, are you reading this?)

Tim

Tim Steele wrote:

> The rear wheel looks pretty much like a standard MTB rear wheel with a 6 speed freewheel, and
> arguably this isn't enough for a tandem.

If it is properly built with 36 spokes, then the wheel itself will give no problems (the freewheel
might). If it is badly built you will need it fixed, but you don't actually have any reason to
suspect this do you?

James

On Thu, 22 May 2003 21:49:39 +0100, "Tim Steele" <[email protected]> wrote:

>The rear wheel looks pretty much like a standard MTB rear wheel with a 6 speed freewheel, and
>arguably this isn't enough for a tandem. What do people think - should we panic, throw away the
>rear wheel and replace it now, or wait until it breaks?

Wait till it breaks a spoke at least. And if you do replace it, get a 48-spoke 26" tandem wheel like
the ones on this bike:

<http://www.chapmancentral.com/Web/public.nsf/Documents/me-n-u2>

St John Street do them, as will your Friendly Neighbourhood Wheelbuilder.

Guy
===
dynamic DNS permitting)
work. Apologies.

> On Thu, 22 May 2003 21:49:39 +0100, "Tim Steele" <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> >The rear wheel looks pretty much like a standard MTB rear wheel with a 6 speed freewheel, and
> >arguably this isn't enough for a tandem. What do
people
> >think - should we panic, throw away the rear wheel and replace it now, or wait until it breaks?
>
> Wait till it breaks a spoke at least. And if you do replace it, get a 48-spoke 26" tandem wheel
> like the ones on this bike:
>
> <http://www.chapmancentral.com/Web/public.nsf/Documents/me-n-u2>
>
> St John Street do them, as will your Friendly Neighbourhood Wheelbuilder.

And it'll cost about as much as the bike is worth. 36 spokes and single bike kit is fine for 26"
unless you're carrying stupid loads. Eg most MTB tandems used for hard off road use 36 spokes, and
work fine. The quality of the wheel build is by far the most important factor, and learning to build
your own is the best way for the budget that the ammaco tandem deserves.

cheers, clive

(144 spokes between 2 tandems, both 26")

"James Annan" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> Tim Steele wrote:
>
> > The rear wheel looks pretty much like a standard MTB rear wheel with a 6 speed freewheel, and
> > arguably this isn't enough for a tandem.
>
> If it is properly built with 36 spokes, then the wheel itself will give no problems (the freewheel
> might). If it is badly built you will need it fixed, but you don't actually have any reason to
> suspect this do you?

On a very low spec tandem????

36 spoke wheels have to be very well built. My competant LBSs may be able to make wheels "properly"
but not well enough.

I had one made by a fairly well known shop - it was buggered within 6 months.