Tandem recommendations please!

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by Ian Walker, Mar 17, 2003.

  1. Ian Walker

    Ian Walker Guest

    Dear All,

    I'm getting married this weekend and after we get back from our honeymoon we're planning to get a
    tandem. We've hired them a couple of times and so know that we're suited to one. The question is,
    which one should we go for? I suppose two of the biggest questions are (a) drop or straight bars and
    (b) 26" or 700c wheels? I quite like the look of the Dawes Sardar 2, although am slightly put off by
    the butterfly bars and the quill stem (which seems a bit old-fashioned these days).

    It's going to be used for day-rides and general touring (e.g., two weeks camping down the West
    Country Way and back with the kids in tow this summer). If anyone has any experience or advice, I'd
    be very grateful for
    ba. Also, can you recommend good dealers? Most shops that sell tandems don't seem to have much
    choice. Incidentally, I wouldn't be averse to slightly unusual designs (the Hase Pino looks
    like fun).

    Ian

    --
    Ian Walker Remove the yummy paste in my address to reply. Homepage: http://www.drianwalker.com

    Tags:

  2. Sandy Morton

    Sandy Morton Guest

    In article <[email protected]>, Ian Walker <[email protected]> wrote:
    > I'm getting married this weekend and after we get back from our honeymoon we're planning to get
    > a tandem.

    I thought that a Bicycle Built for Two was for the honeymoon:)

    Try www.missioncycles.co.uk or something like that. I've got three and I am very satisfied
    with them.

    --
    A T (Sandy) Morton on the Bicycle Island In the Global Village http://www.sandymillport.fsnet.co.uk

  3. Anonymous

    Anonymous Guest

    "Ian Walker" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:eek:[email protected]...

    First question is budget. 1500sq is not an unreasonable price for a tandem, but you won't have a
    problem around the 1000 mark either. Something like a Santana will cost quite a lot more.

    > I'm getting married this weekend and after we get back from our honeymoon we're planning to get a
    > tandem. We've hired them a couple of times and so know that we're suited to one. The question is,
    > which one should we go
    for?
    > I suppose two of the biggest questions are (a) drop or straight bars and
    > (b) 26" or 700c wheels?

    a) is up to you - which do you want? What do you normally ride? There are quite a few people who run
    drops normally running straight bars on their tandems, but I know more (me included) who don't.
    b) I'd probably go for 26" unless I was super fast. Other things being equal, they're stronger.

    > I quite like the look of the Dawes Sardar 2, although am slightly put off by the butterfly bars
    > and the quill stem (which seems a bit old-fashioned these days).

    The dawes tandems look pretty good these days. You must be able to find an equivalent to the sardar
    with drops (kalantar?) that's cheaper than the galaxy (1500sq).

    But you aren't that far from one of the biggest tandem dealers around - st john st. If you go there,
    they'll sell you a thorn (probably an adventure), and it will work well. Cost a bit more than the
    dawes though, and worth checking the weight. (don't touch their non-thorn S/H machines - they seem
    to exist purely to make their new prices look good).

    If you go for drops, get some magura HS66 brakes and use bar end gear levers. And don't get the
    brakes from SJSC/Thorn - a) they will recommend that you don't get them and b) they're cheaper from
    Venhill. (although the price premium may well be worth it if they're fitting them to a new bike).

    cheers, clive

  4. Ian Walker wrote:
    > Dear All,
    >
    > I'm getting married this weekend and after we get back from our honeymoon we're planning to get
    > a tandem.

    That's so traditional of you Ian, so many people these days hop on a tandem before they are married
    without any respect for marriage.

    > We've hired them a couple of times and so know that we're suited to one. The question is, which
    > one should we go for? I suppose two of the biggest questions are (a) drop or straight bars and (b)
    > 26" or 700c wheels? I quite like the look of the Dawes Sardar 2, although am slightly put off by
    > the butterfly bars and the quill stem (which seems a bit old-fashioned these days).

    Can you not order one re-specced with the bars of your choice or do the bars define a Sardar?

    Incidentally, I quite like butterfly bars, though none of my bikes have them. They are worth trying
    if you haven't used them, my other half loves them as she likes straight bars but also likes the
    diffrent hand positions offered by butterflies.

    Colin

  5. Ian Walker <[email protected]> wrote:
    >(b) 26" or 700c wheels? I quite like the look of the Dawes Sardar 2, although am slightly put off
    > by the butterfly bars and the quill stem (which seems a bit old-fashioned these days).

    One can still readily get quill stems and threaded headsets - and there's nothing actually wrong
    with being able to adjust handlebar height readily.

  6. John B

    John B Guest

    Colin Blackburn wrote:

    > Ian Walker wrote:
    > > Dear All,
    > >
    > > I'm getting married this weekend and after we get back from our honeymoon we're planning to get
    > > a tandem.
    >
    > That's so traditional of you Ian, so many people these days hop on a tandem before they are
    > married without any respect for marriage.
    >
    > > We've hired them a couple of times and so know that we're suited to one. The question is, which
    > > one should we go for? I suppose two of the biggest questions are (a) drop or straight bars and
    > > (b) 26" or 700c wheels? I quite like the look of the Dawes Sardar 2, although am slightly put
    > > off by the butterfly bars and the quill stem (which seems a bit old-fashioned these days).
    >
    > Can you not order one re-specced with the bars of your choice or do the bars define a Sardar?

    The solo Sardars we purchased came with the option, so it is worth asking.

    We have two solos, and they are excellent machines. In fact I'd say they are amongst the best
    off-the-peg touring bikes available - 631, fully equipped for touring including racks, guards etc
    and at a reasonable price. If the tandem is the same quality it will be an excellent buy.

    Our solos are STI with standard drop bars.

    John B

  7. Ian Walker <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > Dear All,
    >
    > I'm getting married this weekend and after we get back from our honeymoon we're planning to get
    > a tandem. We've hired them a couple of times and so know that we're suited to one. The question
    > is, which one should we go for? I suppose two of the biggest questions are (a) drop or straight
    > bars and
    > (b) 26" or 700c wheels? I quite like the look of the Dawes Sardar 2, although am slightly put off
    > by the butterfly bars and the quill stem (which seems a bit old-fashioned these days).
    >
    > It's going to be used for day-rides and general touring (e.g., two weeks camping down the West
    > Country Way and back with the kids in tow this summer). If anyone has any experience or advice,
    > I'd be very grateful for
    > it. Also, can you recommend good dealers? Most shops that sell tandems don't seem to have much
    > choice. Incidentally, I wouldn't be averse to slightly unusual designs (the Hase Pino looks
    > like fun).
    >
    > Ian

    I'm vaguely in the market for a tandem, so I'm finding this thread very useful and interesting.
    Thanks for all the contributions so far.

    Ian - very nice website. One of the few personal sites I've added to my favourites. SteveP

  8. Hi,

    not that I have much experience, but we got a Thorn Adventurer and love it.

    Susan Wakeman

    - replace web by my first name if emailing me -