Tandem riding is brill

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by Garykerr4, May 4, 2003.

  1. Garykerr4

    Garykerr4 Guest

    I have just made the investment of a tandem, for me and my 12 year old son. We have just completed
    our first ride of 30 miles at an average of 21 mph and that was out into a headwind. I am so pleased
    I made this investment as it should see me through until the 7 year old takes over. Anyone thinking
    of getting one, I would highly recomend it. Mine is a Cannondale RT1000 although second hand in very
    good condition with very little miles on the clock. I am now hoping to do a bit of proper touring
    with the lad this summer..........can't wait.

    Gary

    Tags:

  2. [email protected] schreef ...
    > I have just made the investment of a tandem, for me and my 12 year old son. We have just completed
    > our first ride of 30 miles at an average of 21 mph and that was out into a headwind.

    21 MILES per hour? Into a headwind? With a 12-year old in the back? I know people can be fit but
    this is quite a lot, I think!

    > I am so pleased I made this investment as it should see me through until the 7 year old takes
    > over. Anyone thinking of getting one, I would highly recomend it. Mine is a Cannondale RT1000
    > although second hand in very good condition with very little miles on the clock. I am now hoping
    > to do a bit of proper touring with the lad this summer..........can't wait.

    Tandem riding is great isn't it? Welcome to the realm of the only bikes with the proper
    seat-to-wheel ratio ;-)

    --
    Regards, Marten www.tandemclub.nl

  3. Eatmorepies

    Eatmorepies Guest

    "Marten Hoffmann" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > [email protected] schreef ...
    > > I have just made the investment of a tandem, for me and my 12 year old
    son.
    > > We have just completed our first ride of 30 miles at an average of 21
    mph
    > > and that was out into a headwind.
    >
    > 21 MILES per hour? Into a headwind? With a 12-year old in the back? I know people can be fit but
    > this is quite a lot, I think!

    Janet and I have a tandem - it sees little use at the moment but it is a good way for a non-cyclist
    partner to enjoy cycling.

    They can be fast. Janet and I took it to France in 2001 and stopped in a B&B. The man running the
    B&B asked for a go on the back. What a difference he made, we flew along - don't know the speed but
    it was significantly higher than Janet and I ever achieve.

    John

  4. 30 @ 21 into a headwind? Either the clock's wrong, or can I buy the 12 year old?

    --

    Martin Bulmer "Mixless Foot Persuasion"

    "garykerr4" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > I have just made the investment of a tandem, for me and my 12 year old
    son.
    > We have just completed our first ride of 30 miles at an average of 21 mph and that was out into a
    > headwind. I am so pleased I made this investment as it should see me through until
    the
    > 7 year old takes over. Anyone thinking of getting one, I would highly recomend it. Mine is a
    > Cannondale RT1000 although second hand in very good condition
    with
    > very little miles on the clock. I am now hoping to do a bit of proper touring with the lad this
    > summer..........can't wait.
    >

    > Gary

  5. [email protected] schreef ...

    > "Marten Hoffmann" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > > [email protected] schreef ...
    > > > I have just made the investment of a tandem, for me and my 12 year old
    > son.
    > > > We have just completed our first ride of 30 miles at an average of 21
    > mph
    > > > and that was out into a headwind.
    > >
    > > 21 MILES per hour? Into a headwind? With a 12-year old in the back? I know people can be fit but
    > > this is quite a lot, I think!
    >
    > Janet and I have a tandem - it sees little use at the moment but it is a good way for a
    > non-cyclist partner to enjoy cycling.
    >
    > They can be fast. Janet and I took it to France in 2001 and stopped in a B&B. The man running the
    > B&B asked for a go on the back. What a difference he made, we flew along - don't know the speed
    > but it was significantly higher than Janet and I ever achieve.

    Sure, I know this - we ride tandems since 1990. But still: 21 MPH for 30 miles into a headwind with
    a 12-year old in the back? I'm deeply impressed.

    --
    Regards, Marten

  6. On Mon, 5 May 2003 18:23:12 +0100, contributor Eatmorepies had scribed:
    > Janet and I have a tandem - it sees little use at the moment but it is a good way for a
    > non-cyclist partner to enjoy cycling.

    Is it for sale? If so what size and what type of frame? ;-)

    Gary (In the market for a secondhand tandem)

    --

    The email address is for newsgroups purposes only and therefore unlikely to be read.

    For contact via email use my real name with an underscore separator at the domain of CompuServe.