Tandem use - need better cut resistance than Comet Primo

TandemFan

Guest
We're using Comet Primo's on a heavily loaded tandem, about 1500 miles
a year. By season end the tires are covered with little cuts and
slices from the poor roads around here. 2 questions:

1) Is the tire any worse off? Some of the cuts are 1/4" long.

2) What tires are more cut resistant and suitable for tandem use?

Thanks!

TandemFan wrote:
> We're using Comet Primo's on a heavily loaded tandem, about 1500 miles
> a year. By season end the tires are covered with little cuts and
> slices from the poor roads around here. 2 questions:
>
> 1) Is the tire any worse off? Some of the cuts are 1/4" long.
>
> 2) What tires are more cut resistant and suitable for tandem use?

Most of them?

Primo Comets are relatively light with low rolling resistance, but cut
resistance, durability and wet traction are NOT their strong points.

On Sat, 19 Apr 2008 23:54:19 -0500, Tom Sherman
<[email protected]> wrote:

>TandemFan wrote:
>> We're using Comet Primo's on a heavily loaded tandem, about 1500 miles
>> a year. By season end the tires are covered with little cuts and
>> slices from the poor roads around here. 2 questions:
>>
>> 1) Is the tire any worse off? Some of the cuts are 1/4" long.
>>
>> 2) What tires are more cut resistant and suitable for tandem use?
>>

>Most of them?
>
>Primo Comets are relatively light with low rolling resistance, but cut
>resistance, durability and wet traction are NOT their strong points.

Would you have any suggestions for a good 26" tire for tandem use?
Some of the postings mention the IRC Tandem. Any good? Anything
better?

TandemFan wrote:
> On Sat, 19 Apr 2008 23:54:19 -0500, Tom Sherman
> <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>> TandemFan wrote:
>>> We're using Comet Primo's on a heavily loaded tandem, about 1500 miles
>>> a year. By season end the tires are covered with little cuts and
>>> slices from the poor roads around here. 2 questions:
>>>
>>> 1) Is the tire any worse off? Some of the cuts are 1/4" long.
>>>
>>> 2) What tires are more cut resistant and suitable for tandem use?
>>>

>> Most of them?
>>
>> Primo Comets are relatively light with low rolling resistance, but cut
>> resistance, durability and wet traction are NOT their strong points.

> Would you have any suggestions for a good 26" tire for tandem use?

No, the only bike I own with ISO 559-mm tires is my ATB.

> Some of the postings mention the IRC Tandem. Any good? Anything
> better?

If you buy a tandem with ISO 406-mm and/or ISO 305-mm wheels, I can
recommend several tires.

On Sun, 20 Apr 2008 14:37:29 -0500, Tom Sherman
<[email protected]> wrote:

>TandemFan wrote:
>> On Sat, 19 Apr 2008 23:54:19 -0500, Tom Sherman
>> <[email protected]> wrote:

>>> Most of them?
>>>
>>> Primo Comets are relatively light with low rolling resistance, but cut
>>> resistance, durability and wet traction are NOT their strong points.

>> Would you have any suggestions for a good 26" tire for tandem use?

>No, the only bike I own with ISO 559-mm tires is my ATB.
>
>> Some of the postings mention the IRC Tandem. Any good? Anything
>> better?

>If you buy a tandem with ISO 406-mm and/or ISO 305-mm wheels, I can
>recommend several tires.

What do you use on them?

TandemFan wrote:
> On Sun, 20 Apr 2008 14:37:29 -0500, Tom Sherman
> <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>> TandemFan wrote:

>>> Would you have any suggestions for a good 26" tire for tandem use?

>> No, the only bike I own with ISO 559-mm tires is my ATB.
>>
>>> Some of the postings mention the IRC Tandem. Any good? Anything
>>> better?

>> If you buy a tandem with ISO 406-mm and/or ISO 305-mm wheels, I can
>> recommend several tires.

> What do you use on them?

Tires in these sizes I have used:

ISO 406-mm size: Continental Gran Prix (28-406), NOS Japanese (tanwall)
Tioga Comp Pools 47-406, Avocet Fasgrip Freestyles 44-406, Primo Comet
32-406, Maxxis Hookworm 53-406.

ISO 305-mm size: 35-305 Primo Comet, 53-305 Maxxis Hookworm.

Of those, only the Conti GP, Primo Comet and Hookworm are available in
the common ISO 559-mm/26-inch ATB size. I have posted my opinion of the
Comets above and the Conti is even more fragile than the Comet.
As for the Hookworm, the larger size is a massive (60-559) tire that
would certainly work on a tandem provided clearances (brake and frame)
were not a problem. But the Hookworm is too heavy duty for most uses,
with a penalty in weight and rolling resistance.

"TandemFan" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> We're using Comet Primo's on a heavily loaded tandem, about 1500 miles
> a year. By season end the tires are covered with little cuts and
> slices from the poor roads around here. 2 questions:
>
> 1) Is the tire any worse off? Some of the cuts are 1/4" long.
>
> 2) What tires are more cut resistant and suitable for tandem use?

Schwalbe Marathon are pretty good and generally recommended for heavy tandem
use. There's the Plus version too if you've got problems with punctures.

Specialized Armadillos?

cheers,
clive

Clive George wrote:
> "TandemFan" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>> We're using Comet Primo's on a heavily loaded tandem, about 1500 miles
>> a year. By season end the tires are covered with little cuts and
>> slices from the poor roads around here. 2 questions:
>>
>> 1) Is the tire any worse off? Some of the cuts are 1/4" long.
>>
>> 2) What tires are more cut resistant and suitable for tandem use?

> Schwalbe Marathon are pretty good and generally recommended for heavy
> tandem use. There's the Plus version too if you've got problems with
> punctures.

5,500 miles with ne'er a visit from the p*ncture fairy. The XRs are
very hard wearing,

http://www.schwalbe.de/gbl/en/bicyc...ch=2&tn_mainPoint=Fahrrad&tn_subPoint=On+Tour

Christ, or http://tinyurl.com/48ddga

Also http://tinyurl.com/4aoxyp gives a rough expected mileage from some