Tandem wheel choice?

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by David L. Johnso, May 18, 2003.

  1. On Mon, 19 May 2003 12:17:25 -0400, Steve Palincsar <[email protected]> wrote:

    >We did it for years, but the best tandem grade freewheels are no longer available. And back in the
    >day, even with the strongest freewheels, some teams (e.g., John Bayley and Pamela Blalock) had
    >freewheels disintegrate under their power. One would be well advised to use a cassette hub if at
    >all possible.

    I'd be even more worried about the axle -- my rear axle always bends a little, due to the placement
    of the load in the middle instead of the end. I'm not sure whether it's bending under my
    not-inconsiderable weight or my ditto corresponding not-inconsiderable force exerted via the chain,
    particularly when I stand on the pedals, but either way, it's not a good thing, and would be worse
    for a tandem, I'd imagine.

    Jasper