Tandems - any stories/advice

Discussion in 'Australia and New Zealand' started by LotteBum, Jun 1, 2005.

  1. LotteBum

    LotteBum New Member

    Joined:
    Nov 2, 2004
    Messages:
    1,138
    My partner and I have been thinking about getting a tandem.

    Has anyone had any experiences, bad or good, with tandems?

    What brands make good road tandems (other than Cannondale) and how would you go about getting one?

    Tags:

  2. Carl Brewer

    Carl Brewer Guest

    On Thu, 2 Jun 2005 10:42:32 +1000, LotteBum
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >My partner and I have been thinking about getting a tandem.
    >
    >Has anyone had any experiences, bad or good, with tandems?

    No, but I want one :) Friends of mine had one, but didn't
    ride it much (at all?).

    >What brands make good road tandems (other than Cannondale) and how
    >would you go about getting one?

    There used to be a really good tandem/touring shop here (Melb)
    Christie Cycles... but he closed down a few years ago now.

    Have a look here though :

    http://home.vicnet.net.au/~tandem/

  3. Andrew Blake

    Andrew Blake Guest

    I can't comment on any tandem experiences, but I'd like to try one out, do
    you know of any rentals in Brisbane?

    I did spot this one on ebay though:
    http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=7298&item=7159379239&rd=1

    It's even in Brisbane.

    "LotteBum" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]

    > My partner and I have been thinking about getting a tandem.
    >
    > Has anyone had any experiences, bad or good, with tandems?
    >
    > What brands make good road tandems (other than Cannondale) and how
    > would you go about getting one?
    >

    > --
    > LotteBum

  4. DaveB

    DaveB Guest

  5. flyingdutch

    flyingdutch New Member

    Joined:
    Feb 8, 2004
    Messages:
    5,700
    hmmmm. tandem may be my next project
    as it looks like my eldest may be goin to highschool
    (jesus how old am i???) near town so the idea of us commutin
    together on a tandem appeals.

    F"can you drop me off round the corner dad?"Dutch

  6. Tamyka Bell

    Tamyka Bell Guest

  7. Andrew Blake

    Andrew Blake Guest

    If you mean UQ, coming up on 8 yrs, if you mean a.b, not much less ;-)

    "Tamyka Bell" <[email protected]> wrote in message >
    > Andrew, you lurker! How long you been there for?
    >
    > Tam

  8. SteveA

    SteveA New Member

    Joined:
    Jul 15, 2004
    Messages:
    1,309
    ANY excuse to get a new bike in the stable should be considered. However, riding the tandem solo from the school to the office might make you look like a careless bastard who had lost a stoker off the back without knowing/caring, or a sad bastard who would like to have a riding partner but hasn't, or a weird bastard who talks to a friend who is not really there and has even bought a tandem to take the invisible friend around town with him. :D

    Steve(where is that book of bike buying excuses?)A

  9. flyingdutch

    flyingdutch New Member

    Joined:
    Feb 8, 2004
    Messages:
    5,700
    oh oh. Hip's got competition! :rolleyes:

  10. SteveA

    SteveA New Member

    Joined:
    Jul 15, 2004
    Messages:
    1,309
    As a lurker on a.b? Or as a competitor for Tam's affections? :D

    SteveA

  11. Tamyka Bell

    Tamyka Bell Guest

    On Thu, 2 Jun 2005, flyingdutch wrote:

    > Andrew Blake Wrote:
    >> If you mean UQ, coming up on 8 yrs, if you mean a.b, not much less ;-)
    >>
    >> "Tamyka Bell" <[email protected]> wrote in message >
    >>> Andrew, you lurker! How long you been there for?
    >>>
    >>> Tam

    > oh oh. Hip's got competition! :rolleyes:

    ya think? did I forget to mention that plane ticket?

    Tam

  12. SteveA

    SteveA New Member

    Joined:
    Jul 15, 2004
    Messages:
    1,309
    I once followed someone to Europe - and I've now been married to that person for 17 years!!!! Be very very careful about these things. :rolleyes:

    SteveA

  13. kingsley

    kingsley Guest

    On Thu, 02 Jun 2005 10:42:32 +1000, LotteBum wrote:

    > My partner and I have been thinking about getting a tandem.

    Get one!

    > Has anyone had any experiences, bad or good, with tandems?

    Yeah but my experiences wont help you, hmmm, maybe...

    Bought a 2nd-hand low-end tandem for $600(?), after $1500k worth
    of upgrades over a year or so (new wheels, brakes, chain rings)
    it's a bloody beautiful ride. I think the only thing original
    on it is the frame, rear derailleur and the stem for the stoker's
    handlebars, although most of the upgrades were more 'want' than 100%
    necessary.

    So in hind-sight, maybe I should have spent more up-front, but if you
    start off cheaply, you can re-sell the thing and not make a huge loss.
    Now I'd be happy to go drop some serious money (if I had any) on a nice
    tandem. Saw a fully kitted out Koga-Miyata dual suspension touring tandem
    in The Netherlands for about 10,000 Euro :) But there's that mob in
    Perth that sell and hire Tandems. Clarence St Cyclery in Sydney always
    have a Trek tandem hanging above the desk.

    Probably borrow one if you can pull it off, try it over a few weeks and
    see how you go. There's also the Hobbes Tandem mailing list (google for
    it, I don;t want to post the email address in news). You can ask just
    about anything tandem here. Actually I think they have a FAQ.

    -kt

    --
    Kingsley Turner,
    (mailto: [email protected])

  14. Parbs

    Parbs Guest

  15. adam

    adam Guest

    "Andrew Blake" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    >I can't comment on any tandem experiences, but I'd like to try one out, do
    >you know of any rentals in Brisbane?

    I think the bike hire people in the botanical gardens has some for hire.

    Adam

  16. LotteBum wrote:
    > My partner and I have been thinking about getting a tandem.
    >
    > Has anyone had any experiences, bad or good, with tandems?
    >
    > What brands make good road tandems (other than Cannondale) and how
    > would you go about getting one?

    Tandems rock.

    Advantages:

    Two riders of widely different abilities can ride together and if Ms
    Fast wants to put the hammer down, Mr Slow can keep up.

    Speed: faster on the flat and downhills than a solo because of the
    better power:drag ratio. Experienced tandem teams are fast on climbs
    too, but that takes practice because it requires you to be very 'in
    synch'. However, if one of you is a very fast clomber on a solo, they'll
    feel slower on a tandem because the tandem averages the power-to-weight
    ratio of the two riders. Nevertheless, on the Big Ride a few years ago,
    Lesleigh and I were passing riders on solos on climbs after we'd had a
    few days to get into the groove.

    Fun. Everybody but *everybody* smiles at a couple on a tandem. The
    stoker's most vital role is smiling and waving at people.

    Disadvantages:

    Cost. Good tandems are expensive because of small production numbers of
    the frames, parts like the crossover drive and 48-spoke wheels.
    Inexpensive bikes can still be fun. Inexpensive tandems are a stranding
    waiting to happen.

    Bulk. They can be a sod to store if you don't have a garage. Ours lives
    in the back sunroom. One couple we know has theirs on a hoist in the
    roof of their hallway. Some imagination may be required.

    Tandems can also be a good... test of a relationship. The stoker
    (usually the woman, because the female of the partnership is usually the
    smaller and lighter - tandems handle better if the heavier rider is up
    front and tandems are almost universally built with the longer seat tube
    in front) er, where was I? Oh yes, the stoker is basically luggage with
    legs. You have to match cadence with the captain, and put up with having
    no control over your destiny. both partners have a lot to learn about
    smooth riding, and warning of bumps (which are much harsher for the
    stoker than the captain).

    Lotte, if you and your bloke are ever in Sydney, you're welcome to try
    our tandem.

    JohnJohn

  17. alison_b

    alison_b New Member

    Joined:
    Feb 24, 2005
    The BV magazine has a page article on tandems, and cites a few places to hire/buy and chat:

    www.the-pegasus-crew.com.au
    www.greenspeed.com.au
    www.khsbicycles.com
    www.tandem-talk.com

    I don't know if there is a similar organisation up north, but the Statwide vision Resource Centre down here also (according to the article) hires them.

    The article was written by a fellow Andrew Ross ([email protected]). Since his email was published I'm guessing he doesn't mind being contacted about the info.

    good luck!
    cheers,
    Ali

  18. aeek

    aeek New Member

    Joined:
    Jun 15, 2004
    Where the woman is THE cyclist, that arrangement isn't going to work.
    Maybe a bent would be the answer?

    Or even, front upright + rear bent. An interesting design exercise.
    (Provided him looking at her ass all day isn't a problem.)
    Is 2 pedals on each crank practical?! Would simplify the driveline.

  19. "alison_b" wrote:

    > I don't know if there is a similar organisation up north, but the
    > Statwide vision Resource Centre down here also (according to the
    > article) hires them.

    In Brisbane try contacting the Brisbane Bicycle Touring Club(
    http://www.bbta.org/index.php) to see if their members have tandem
    experience. I believe they are a fairly large and active cycle touring
    group.

    Cheers
    Peter

  20. LotteBum

    LotteBum New Member

    Joined:
    Nov 2, 2004
    Messages:
    1,138
    Thanks all for the overwhelming response, it's much appreciated.

    JohnJohn, we might be in Sydney in August - I will let you know :D