Tandems

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by Damian Parker, Jun 26, 2003.

  1. Hi!

    I'm toying with the idea of getting/trying out a tandem, whats the best place to get started, what
    should I be looking for or reading? Any ideas of a rough cost?

    Thanks.

    Damian Parker Damosoft www.damosoft.co.uk

    Tags:

  2. Peter Simons

    Peter Simons Guest

    Damian Parker wrote:
    > Hi!
    >
    > I'm toying with the idea of getting/trying out a tandem, whats the best place to get started, what
    > should I be looking for or reading? Any ideas of a rough cost?

    Try http://www.tandem-club.org.uk/

    Its recommened you hire first to seee if its for you

    Prices start at http://www.dawescycles.com/bikes/twocan.html

    Peter

  3. Just Zis Guy

    Just Zis Guy Guest

    On Thu, 26 Jun 2003 20:55:36 +0100, "Damian Parker" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >I'm toying with the idea of getting/trying out a tandem, whats the best place to get started, what
    >should I be looking for or reading? Any ideas of a rough cost?

    As Peter says, http://www.tandem-club.org.uk/ is a good start, the [email protected] list is a useful
    resource, and the tandem brochure from Thorn
    <http://www.sjscycles.com/thorn/26tandembrochure/tandembrochurewebp2.htm> is also excellent.

    We went to Bridgewater and tested some of Thorn's tandems (very good), and we tested the Bike Friday
    Tandem Twosday (excellent but expensive) at Avon Valley Cyclery (nice guys but never send them an
    email from a real address - they will spam you forever!).

    Guy
    ===

  4. Eatmorepies

    Eatmorepies Guest

    "Damian Parker" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Hi!
    >
    > I'm toying with the idea of getting/trying out a tandem, whats the best place to get started, what
    > should I be looking for or reading? Any ideas of a rough cost?

    Have a borrow of one first. We did and went straight out and bought one. We paid 750 or so for a new
    one. Second hand it can't be worth more than 400.

    John

  5. W K

    W K Guest

    "Eatmorepies" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

    > "Damian Parker" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > > Hi!
    > >
    > > I'm toying with the idea of getting/trying out a tandem, whats the best place to get started,
    > > what should I be looking for or reading? Any ideas of a rough cost?
    >
    > Have a borrow of one first. We did and went straight out and bought one.
    We
    > paid 750 or so for a new one.

    Probably what you'd have to pay.

    > Second hand it can't be worth more than 400.

    Maybe, but I'd not be sure.

    I paid less than 750, and have spent a fair bit on upgrades. Most notably a shitty back wheel. (But
    I am still happy with only 2 V-brakes -but means every hill is either dead slow or full speed!).

    I dunno, perhaps it would have been useful getting one of those 300 quid ebay jobs and then finding
    out all the problems that can happen and spending 1000 afterwards would have been better.

  6. James Annan

    James Annan Guest

    Peter Simons wrote:

    > Its recommened you hire first to seee if its for you

    I'm not so sure. An extended loan perhaps, but a single day might not really be long enough to
    realise how much fun and how easy it is. The first few rides can be a bit wobbly!

    James

  7. Peter Clinch

    Peter Clinch Guest

    James Annan wrote:

    > I'm not so sure. An extended loan perhaps, but a single day might not really be long enough to
    > realise how much fun and how easy it is. The first few rides can be a bit wobbly!

    Not if you get a Greenspeed! ;-) (but you'll need another mortgage first, I think...).

    Only stoked one for a brief stint, but they go like the clappers. My tandeming friends got their
    first one second hand for quite a low price (couple of hundred, stoker had never ridden a bike at
    that point, so they needed one for longer term practice and didn't want to spend a lot first time
    out), then upgraded to a G-twin (still second hand, but much nicer than the first one).

    Pete.
    http://www.dundee.ac.uk/~pjclinch/

  8. James Annan

    James Annan Guest

    Peter Clinch <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...

    > Only stoked one for a brief stint, but they go like the clappers. My tandeming friends got their
    > first one second hand for quite a low price (couple of hundred, stoker had never ridden a bike at
    > that point, so they needed one for longer term practice and didn't want to spend a lot first time
    > out), then upgraded to a G-twin (still second hand, but much nicer than the first one).

    We just bought one second hand, knowing that it wasn't quite right but (correctly) anticipating that
    we could re-sell for a tiny loss once we'd worked out what we really wanted.

    James