Tange BB

damyth

Guest
Anyone have any experience with Tange square taper bottom brackets?
Would you recommend them? Are they smooth and durable?

damyth wrote:
> Anyone have any experience with Tange square taper bottom brackets?
> Would you recommend them? Are they smooth and durable?

If its the same as the one below, its the *same* as the Shimano UN-xx
series (XT/Ultegra quality); smooth, durable and cheap!

http://www.rivbike.com/webalog/cranks_bbs_c-rings/12196.html

For the money, its highly recommended!

bfd wrote:
> damyth wrote:
> > Anyone have any experience with Tange square taper bottom brackets?
> > Would you recommend them? Are they smooth and durable?

> If its the same as the one below, its the *same* as the Shimano UN-xx
> series (XT/Ultegra quality); smooth, durable and cheap!
>
> http://www.rivbike.com/webalog/cranks_bbs_c-rings/12196.html
>
> For the money, its highly recommended!

Hmm....$40 for a UN-72/73? Seems a mite high for a MO source
(Rivendell).

damyth wrote:
> Anyone have any experience with Tange square taper bottom brackets?
> Would you recommend them? Are they smooth and durable?

Smooth, strong and durable. Muzi has them for $25 + $5 shipping.

-nate

[email protected] wrote:
> bfd wrote:
> > damyth wrote:
> > > Anyone have any experience with Tange square taper bottom brackets?
> > > Would you recommend them? Are they smooth and durable?

> > If its the same as the one below, its the *same* as the Shimano UN-xx
> > series (XT/Ultegra quality); smooth, durable and cheap!
> >
> > http://www.rivbike.com/webalog/cranks_bbs_c-rings/12196.html
> >
> > For the money, its highly recommended!

> Hmm....$40 for a UN-72/73? Seems a mite high for a MO source
> (Rivendell).

Agree, $40 for a Un-xx bb is not cheap. Then again, Riv's prices are
more inline with most LBS, not MO. Then again, in comparison to say a
Phil Wood bb, which arguably is a better product, it is cheaper.

For cheaper price on Tange/Shimano UN-xx, do a search!

Good price! That would be: Andy Muzi at www.yellowjersey.org

bfd wrote:
> [email protected] wrote:
> > bfd wrote:
> > >
> > > If its the same as the one below, its the *same* as the Shimano UN-xx
> > > series (XT/Ultegra quality); smooth, durable and cheap!
> > >
> > > http://www.rivbike.com/webalog/cranks_bbs_c-rings/12196.html
> > >
> > > For the money, its highly recommended!

> > Hmm....$40 for a UN-72/73? Seems a mite high for a MO source
> > (Rivendell).

> Agree, $40 for a Un-xx bb is not cheap. Then again, Riv's prices are
> more inline with most LBS, not MO. Then again, in comparison to say a
> Phil Wood bb, which arguably is a better product, it is cheaper.
>
> For cheaper price on Tange/Shimano UN-xx, do a search!

I guess I was confused when you posted the link to Rivendell, where the
BB was $40/45 and wrote "For the money, it's highly recommended!".

bfd wrote:
> Llatikcuf wrote:
> > damyth wrote:
> > > Anyone have any experience with Tange square taper bottom brackets?
> > > Would you recommend them? Are they smooth and durable?

> > Smooth, strong and durable. Muzi has them for $25 + $5 shipping.
> >

> Good price! That would be: Andy Muzi at www.yellowjersey.org

http://www.yellowjersey.org/TANGEBB.JPG

-nate

damyth wrote:
> Anyone have any experience with Tange square taper bottom brackets?
> Would you recommend them? Are they smooth and durable?

Yes, they are our preferred BB of that format.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org

"damyth" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Anyone have any experience with Tange square taper bottom brackets?
> Would you recommend them? Are they smooth and durable?

I'm assuming that the Tange is the same as the Shimano BB.

I put one in the MTB I built in the mid 90s and it's worked since then
without a problem. I thought that the retaining rings were a little
fragile looking compared to Phil Wood BBs but the wider thread
engagement makes up for their less robust wall thickness.

I also have several Phil BBs that I've been using since 1975-6 that have
been in half dozen different bikes and still work perfect. It's easier
to adjust chain line with the Phil BB. I prefer the Phil stainless steel
locking rings over the alloy ones.

The Tange BB is a very good deal for the price. I just put together a
1980's retro road bike and used a Phil BB. I probably would have used
Shimano/Tange if I could have found one for $25.00.

I recommend that you run a BB tap through to chase the threads before
assembly. The longer threads on the Tange retaining rings can hang on a
poorly threaded BB.

Chas.

* * Chas wrote:
> I'm assuming that the Tange is the same as the Shimano BB.
> I put one in the MTB I built in the mid 90s and it's worked since then
> without a problem. I thought that the retaining rings were a little
> fragile looking compared to Phil Wood BBs but the wider thread
> engagement makes up for their less robust wall thickness.
> I also have several Phil BBs that I've been using since 1975-6 that have
> been in half dozen different bikes and still work perfect. It's easier
> to adjust chain line with the Phil BB. I prefer the Phil stainless steel
> locking rings over the alloy ones.
> The Tange BB is a very good deal for the price. I just put together a
> 1980's retro road bike and used a Phil BB. I probably would have used
> Shimano/Tange if I could have found one for $25.00.
> I recommend that you run a BB tap through to chase the threads before
> assembly. The longer threads on the Tange retaining rings can hang on a
> poorly threaded BB.

They are not at all the same.

Tange's cups are chromed steel and the unit has actual cartridge
bearings which are replaceable and may be opened/cleaned/relubricated
easily, unlike Shimano.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org
Open every day since 1 April, 1971

"A Muzi" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> > "damyth" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > news:[email protected]...
> >> Anyone have any experience with Tange square taper bottom brackets?
> >> Would you recommend them? Are they smooth and durable?

> * * Chas wrote:
> > I'm assuming that the Tange is the same as the Shimano BB.
> > I put one in the MTB I built in the mid 90s and it's worked since

then
> > without a problem. I thought that the retaining rings were a little
> > fragile looking compared to Phil Wood BBs but the wider thread
> > engagement makes up for their less robust wall thickness.
> > I also have several Phil BBs that I've been using since 1975-6 that

have
> > been in half dozen different bikes and still work perfect. It's

easier
> > to adjust chain line with the Phil BB. I prefer the Phil stainless

steel
> > locking rings over the alloy ones.
> > The Tange BB is a very good deal for the price. I just put together

> > 1980's retro road bike and used a Phil BB. I probably would have

used
> > Shimano/Tange if I could have found one for $25.00.
> > I recommend that you run a BB tap through to chase the threads

before
> > assembly. The longer threads on the Tange retaining rings can hang

on a
> > poorly threaded BB.

> They are not at all the same.
>
> Tange's cups are chromed steel and the unit has actual cartridge
> bearings which are replaceable and may be opened/cleaned/relubricated
> easily, unlike Shimano.
>
> --
> Andrew Muzi
> www.yellowjersey.org
> Open every day since 1 April, 1971

Thanks for the heads up on the Tange BBs.

Chas.

"A Muzi" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> > "damyth" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > news:[email protected]...
> >> Anyone have any experience with Tange square taper bottom brackets?
> >> Would you recommend them? Are they smooth and durable?

> * * Chas wrote:
> > I'm assuming that the Tange is the same as the Shimano BB.
> > I put one in the MTB I built in the mid 90s and it's worked since then
> > without a problem. I thought that the retaining rings were a little
> > fragile looking compared to Phil Wood BBs but the wider thread
> > engagement makes up for their less robust wall thickness.
> > I also have several Phil BBs that I've been using since 1975-6 that have
> > been in half dozen different bikes and still work perfect. It's easier
> > to adjust chain line with the Phil BB. I prefer the Phil stainless steel
> > locking rings over the alloy ones.
> > The Tange BB is a very good deal for the price. I just put together a
> > 1980's retro road bike and used a Phil BB. I probably would have used
> > Shimano/Tange if I could have found one for $25.00.
> > I recommend that you run a BB tap through to chase the threads before
> > assembly. The longer threads on the Tange retaining rings can hang on a
> > poorly threaded BB.

> They are not at all the same.
>
> Tange's cups are chromed steel and the unit has actual cartridge
> bearings which are replaceable and may be opened/cleaned/relubricated
> easily, unlike Shimano.

Actually, this makes the Tange *better* than its equivalent Shimano UN-xx.
Further, at $25, from Andy at www.yellowjersey.org, a bargain too!

"bfd" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> "A Muzi" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > > "damyth" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > > news:[email protected]...

brackets?

> > * * Chas wrote:
> > > I'm assuming that the Tange is the same as the Shimano BB.
> > > I put one in the MTB I built in the mid 90s and it's worked since

then
> > > without a problem. I thought that the retaining rings were a

little
> > > fragile looking compared to Phil Wood BBs but the wider thread
> > > engagement makes up for their less robust wall thickness.
> > > I also have several Phil BBs that I've been using since 1975-6

that have
> > > been in half dozen different bikes and still work perfect. It's

easier
> > > to adjust chain line with the Phil BB. I prefer the Phil stainless

steel
> > > locking rings over the alloy ones.
> > > The Tange BB is a very good deal for the price. I just put

together a
> > > 1980's retro road bike and used a Phil BB. I probably would have

used
> > > Shimano/Tange if I could have found one for $25.00.
> > > I recommend that you run a BB tap through to chase the threads

before
> > > assembly. The longer threads on the Tange retaining rings can hang

on a
> > > poorly threaded BB.

> > They are not at all the same.
> >
> > Tange's cups are chromed steel and the unit has actual cartridge
> > bearings which are replaceable and may be

opened/cleaned/relubricated
> > easily, unlike Shimano.
> >

> Actually, this makes the Tange *better* than its equivalent Shimano

UN-xx.
> Further, at $25, from Andy at www.yellowjersey.org, a bargain too!

All the pictures of Tange BBs that I've seen have the Shimano logo on
them.

Chas.

Expect to pay high $20's for a tange 7x/UN-73x series bottom bracket with
a plastic adjustable cup. Expect to pay low-mid $30'S for the same
thing with an aluminum adjustable cup. The extra $$$ are worth it,
imho.

- Don Gillies
San Diego, CA

A Muzi wrote:
> > "damyth" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > news:[email protected]...
> >> Anyone have any experience with Tange square taper bottom brackets?
> >> Would you recommend them? Are they smooth and durable?

> * * Chas wrote:
> > I'm assuming that the Tange is the same as the Shimano BB.
> > I put one in the MTB I built in the mid 90s and it's worked since then
> > without a problem. I thought that the retaining rings were a little
> > fragile looking compared to Phil Wood BBs but the wider thread
> > engagement makes up for their less robust wall thickness.
> > I also have several Phil BBs that I've been using since 1975-6 that have
> > been in half dozen different bikes and still work perfect. It's easier
> > to adjust chain line with the Phil BB. I prefer the Phil stainless steel
> > locking rings over the alloy ones.
> > The Tange BB is a very good deal for the price. I just put together a
> > 1980's retro road bike and used a Phil BB. I probably would have used
> > Shimano/Tange if I could have found one for $25.00.
> > I recommend that you run a BB tap through to chase the threads before
> > assembly. The longer threads on the Tange retaining rings can hang on a
> > poorly threaded BB.

> They are not at all the same.
>
> Tange's cups are chromed steel and the unit has actual cartridge
> bearings which are replaceable and may be opened/cleaned/relubricated
> easily, unlike Shimano.
>
> --
> Andrew Muzi
> www.yellowjersey.org
> Open every day since 1 April, 1971

My Tange BB arrived today and while it might be a decent value at $25,
I have a very BIG quibble about its design:

The BB cup splines are WAY too shallow!! For the home mechanic this is
an almost fatal design flaw.

The only tool I'd use to install/remove the BB cups on the Tange is the
one made by VAR, where there is no danger of the tool slipping. I
wouldn't even try to use a Shimano or a Park tool on this BB.

It also didn't help my first impression of the BB when the adjustable
cup was unremovable from the body by hand fresh out of the box. I had
to "reverse thread" the BB (i.e. thread the BB such that the body was
outside of frame) so I could yank the body free from the adjustable
cup.

damyth wrote:

> My Tange BB arrived today and while it might be a decent value at $25,
> I have a very BIG quibble about its design:
>
> The BB cup splines are WAY too shallow!! For the home mechanic this is
> an almost fatal design flaw.
>
> The only tool I'd use to install/remove the BB cups on the Tange is the
> one made by VAR, where there is no danger of the tool slipping. I
> wouldn't even try to use a Shimano or a Park tool on this BB.

Park tool and a wheel skewer works well, cheaper than the VAR.

> It also didn't help my first impression of the BB when the adjustable
> cup was unremovable from the body by hand fresh out of the box. I had
> to "reverse thread" the BB (i.e. thread the BB such that the body was
> outside of frame) so I could yank the body free from the adjustable
> cup.

Tight fit is good, a little grease and you wont have any popping or
creaking.

-nate

Llatikcuf wrote:

> damyth wrote:
> >
> > My Tange BB arrived today and while it might be a decent value at $25,
> > I have a very BIG quibble about its design:
> >
> > The BB cup splines are WAY too shallow!! For the home mechanic this is
> > an almost fatal design flaw.
> >
> > The only tool I'd use to install/remove the BB cups on the Tange is the
> > one made by VAR, where there is no danger of the tool slipping. I
> > wouldn't even try to use a Shimano or a Park tool on this BB.

> Park tool and a wheel skewer works well, cheaper than the VAR.

Yeah, and if you actually had a Tange BB you'd know there is actually
no way to thread a skewer into the BB axle. So VAR is the only
suitable tool (that I'm aware of) that's has close to zero chance of
slipping with Tange BB cups.