Tange INFINITY CR-MOLY tubing?

Peter

Guest
Can someone tell me how Tange INFINITY double butted cro-moly tubing
compares to Columbus SL in terms of ride stiffness, road damping
capabilities, and handling etcetera if two bikes were built to identical
specs except for the tubing. That is the frames are the same size with the
same angles.

My thanks and sincere appreciation are very much extended for all pertinent
replies to this query.

"Peter" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> Can someone tell me how Tange INFINITY double butted cro-moly tubing
> compares to Columbus SL in terms of ride stiffness, road damping
> capabilities, and handling etcetera if two bikes were built to identical
> specs except for the tubing. That is the frames are the same size with the
> same angles.

Tange Infinity db cro-moly tubing is good stuff. Take a look at Bobby
Sapovits' excellent website:

Tange tubing II chart:
http://mywebpages.comcast.net/bobequus/images/bikepictures/Tange-road-tubing-II.jpg

Tange OS tubing:
http://mywebpages.comcast.net/bobequus/images/bikepictures/Tange-OS-tubing.jpg

Columbus tubing:

http://mywebpages.comcast.net/bobequus/images/bikepictures/Columbus-tubes.jpg

Heck, here's his Reynolds charts:

Constructor's tube guide:
http://mywebpages.comcast.net/bobequus/images/bikepictures/Reynolds-tubing-sizes.jpg

Reynolds decal chart:
http://mywebpages.comcast.net/bobequus/images/bikepictures/Reynolds-transfers.jpg

"Peter" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> Can someone tell me how Tange INFINITY double butted cro-moly tubing
> compares to Columbus SL in terms of ride stiffness, road damping
> capabilities, and handling etcetera if two bikes were built to identical
> specs except for the tubing. That is the frames are the same size with the
> same angles.
>
> My thanks and sincere appreciation are very much extended for all pertinent
> replies to this query.

The massive silence you're hearing is your answer. Given identical
geometry, tubing dimensions, and componentry, there's no difference
between these tubesets detectable by humans.

Many years ago, Bicycle Guide magazine tested 4 different bicycles
built by the same builder, with identical geometry, equipped with
identical groups, and painted the same color. The only distinction was
that each used a different Columbus tubeset. IIRC, the editors
preferred the bike built with the cheapest tubes.

Jeff Wills

If two bicyles were built the same, but with this two different tubes,
most likely, you'll never be able to tell the difference. There might
be an imperceptible weight difference with columbus sl being lighter.
However, performance wise nobody can tell.

Technically, columbus sl tubing is seamless. In other words, it comes
as a cylinder. Tange infinity is seamed. In other words, it is a flat
piece of metal that is then rolled into a cylinder and then welded
together.

Also, I believe that columbus sl is slightly lighter and thinner, but
I am not certain. supposedly, seamless tubes are stronger, and, of
course, more expensive. But, who knows.

In the 80s when these tubesets were popular, columbus sl came on bikes
costing between $1,000 and $1,500. Tange infinity came on bikes
ranging from $400 to $800.

Get the infinity frame and put the columbus sl decal and you'll have
the best of both worlds.

Andres

"Peter" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> Can someone tell me how Tange INFINITY double butted cro-moly tubing
> compares to Columbus SL in terms of ride stiffness, road damping
> capabilities, and handling etcetera if two bikes were built to identical
> specs except for the tubing. That is the frames are the same size with the
> same angles.
>
> My thanks and sincere appreciation are very much extended for all pertinent
> replies to this query.

"Peter" <[email protected]> wrote:

> Can someone tell me how Tange INFINITY double butted cro-moly tubing
> compares to Columbus SL in terms of ride stiffness, road damping
> capabilities, and handling etcetera if two bikes were built to identical
> specs except for the tubing. That is the frames are the same size with the
> same angles.

There is no significant vibration damping in any kind of steel (nor in
any bike frame material, for that matter). Neither do different
steels exhibit any detectable differences in stiffness.

bfd's charts show that the gauges and diameters are equal or close in
every tube of the two tubesets you name, therefore their flex
characteristics will be effectively the same for any given frame
geometry.

Chalo Colina

"Peter" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> Can someone tell me how Tange INFINITY double butted cro-moly tubing
> compares to Columbus SL in terms of ride stiffness, road damping
> capabilities, and handling etcetera if two bikes were built to identical
> specs except for the tubing. That is the frames are the same size with the
> same angles.
>
> My thanks and sincere appreciation are very much extended for all pertinent
> replies to this query.

An update to my OP but first my thanks to all who replied.
I have decided, based on these replies to upgrade my Tange Infinity
double-butted MIELE road bike with Campagnolo Veloce equipment.

The frame has been re-painted in: RED - the rear triangle top of seat
tube, bottom bracket and top tube to just behind rear cable opening
and down tube last 4 inches; WHITE - top tube to just behind front
entry fot internal rear brake housing, down tube to shifter braze-ons;
GREEN - top and downtube from WHITE to head tube. Forks are chrome.
MIELE decals are on the head tube, top tube (small MIELE name on the
green portion) and the downtube. I managed to get the Tange Infinity
sticker off without ruining it but have misplaced it. I should fing it
soon I hope.

I'm currently waiting for the Veloce BB and crankset to arrive at the
not so local (43km round trip to another city) to arrive. I am going
to use Mirage Brifters until I save enough for Veloce as I have Mirage
Brifters right now.

The bike looks really good and I will post pictures when it is
complete if anyone is interested. (?)

Thanks again for the answers to my OP as the money I saved from buying
a Columbus SL frame went a long way to getting the Veloce components I
needed to finish the upgrade. I already had the chain, rear derailleur
and cogset.

Cheers.