Tanjor Trailer (pic)

Ron Hardin

Guest
My first digital photo, wrested from the new camera through the
new notebook (bought for the USB port) to the web, of my Doberman
Annie in her Tanjor Trailer

http://home.att.net/~rhhardin/trailer.jpg

Only took about five hours of mostly pointless work to get the picture
to the web from the camera. Now I need to know what software can
reduce the physical size (900kb, and full browser window) to something
reasonable, say 60kb and a modest corner of the browser window.

None of the stuff on the machine seems to do that, as far as I can
see.

I post it because I think it's cute, and because the Tanjor trailer
is great, though no longer made, I guess.

--
Ron Hardin
[email protected]

Ron Hardin wrote:

> None of the stuff on the machine seems to do that, as far as I can
> see.

Nothing shipped with windows will do that. Did anything come with your
camera? I use photoshop but it's complex and expensive. I once bought
a scanner that come with some great (and simple) photo editing software,
so if you know someone that has a scanner that died are is no longer in
use they might have something for you.

Or get a mac....

Rich

P.S. The trailer looks cool.

In article <[email protected]>,
Rich <[email protected]> wrote:

> Ron Hardin wrote:
>
> > None of the stuff on the machine seems to do that, as far as I can
> > see.

> Nothing shipped with windows will do that. Did anything come with your
> camera? I use photoshop but it's complex and expensive. I once bought
> a scanner that come with some great (and simple) photo editing software,
> so if you know someone that has a scanner that died are is no longer in
> use they might have something for you.
>
> Or get a mac....

I am a die-hard Mac and iPhoto fan (typing this on an iBook G4), but
Picasa, the freely downloadable photo organizer from Google, is really
good, and should do exactly what Ron wants.

Rich <[email protected]> wrote:
> Ron Hardin wrote:
>
>> None of the stuff on the machine seems to do that, as far as I can
>> see.

> Nothing shipped with windows will do that. Did anything come with your
> camera? I use photoshop but it's complex and expensive. I once bought
> a scanner that come with some great (and simple) photo editing software,
> so if you know someone that has a scanner that died are is no longer in
> use they might have something for you.

You want GIMP for Windows. Free and very powerful.

http://www.gimp.org/windows/

> Or get a mac....

Next you'll be telling him to use Linux,
and we know that that way lies madness.

--
Dane Jackson - z u v e m b i @ u n i x b i g o t s . o r g
X windows. You'll envy the dead.

Ron Hardin wrote:
> My first digital photo, wrested from the new camera through the
> new notebook (bought for the USB port) to the web, of my Doberman
> Annie in her Tanjor Trailer
>
> http://home.att.net/~rhhardin/trailer.jpg
>
> Only took about five hours of mostly pointless work to get the picture
> to the web from the camera. Now I need to know what software can
> reduce the physical size (900kb, and full browser window) to something
> reasonable, say 60kb and a modest corner of the browser window.
>
> None of the stuff on the machine seems to do that, as far as I can
> see.

Cute dog -- massive chest or just a funny angle?

I just posted a couple of pics from a mtb ride Saturday, and ran into the
same "size" issue. When I /e-mailed/ the photos, Windows asked me if I
wanted to reduce 'em first (I assume for easier transmittal or whatever).
However, when I /uploaded/ the pics to my site, they were the huge, hi-res
versions.

A friend wrote me that I can use PAINT to re-size the photos (Start,
Accessories, Paint -- then work on image), but I haven't tried it yet. (Be
sure to name the smaller sized photo something different, so you don't lose
the big one.)

Ruff-ruff, BS

In article <[email protected]>,
Dane Jackson <[email protected]> writes:

>> Or get a mac....

> Next you'll be telling him to use Linux,
> and we know that that way lies madness.

^^^^^^^

John Bradley's "xv" application, anyway.

cheers,
Tom

--
-- Nothing is safe from me.
Above address is just a spam midden.

Bill Sornson wrote:
> Cute dog -- massive chest or just a funny angle?

I think it's called a deep chest; apparently favored in Dobermans. My first
Dobie Susie didn't have such a big one.
--
Ron Hardin
[email protected]

On Wed, 20 Jul 2005 05:57:58 +0000, Bill Sornson wrote:

> Cute dog -- massive chest or just a funny angle?

I vote for a photo-shop composite.

--

David L. Johnson

__o | "Business!" cried the Ghost. "Mankind was my business. The
_`\(,_ | common welfare was my business; charity, mercy, forbearance,
(_)/ (_) | and benevolence, were, all, my business. The dealings of my
trade were but a drop of water in the comprehensive ocean of my
business!" --Dickens, "A Christmas Carol"

Ron Hardin <[email protected]> wrote in
news:[email protected]:

> Only took about five hours of mostly pointless work to get the
> picture to the web from the camera. Now I need to know what
> software can reduce the physical size (900kb, and full browser
> window) to something reasonable, say 60kb and a modest corner of
> the browser window.

Photoshop CS2

Mike Latondresse wrote:

> Ron Hardin <[email protected]> wrote in
> news:[email protected]:
>

> > Only took about five hours of mostly pointless work to get the
> > picture to the web from the camera. Now I need to know what
> > software can reduce the physical size (900kb, and full browser
> > window) to something reasonable, say 60kb and a modest corner of
> > the browser window.

> Photoshop CS2

Two people have said that now. Not true. Real dog, real trailer,
real dog in trailer, real pic of same.

It's been thru dell photo suite, which came on the new notebook, and is
cropped down from 2.1mb, with an enormous amount of confusion and
effort.

The trailer has a plywood floor installed on the frame tubes that
support the bottom of the fabric (above the white plastic line),
that the bottom of the dog is on (Annie doesn't like standing on
the plastic curved floor, and ascends to stand on the frame tubing,
which stresses the fabric, so I put in the 1/4" plywood floor.)

Otherwise I don't know what looks photo-shoppish about it, other than
all digital photos are digital and so have pixel effects.

Perhaps I'll make a mpg of Annie hopping into the trailer for you,
when I figure that out.

--
Ron Hardin
[email protected]

Ron Hardin wrote:

> Mike Latondresse wrote:
> >
> > Ron Hardin <[email protected]> wrote in
> > news:[email protected]:
> >

> > > Only took about five hours of mostly pointless work to get the
> > > picture to the web from the camera. Now I need to know what
> > > software can reduce the physical size (900kb, and full browser
> > > window) to something reasonable, say 60kb and a modest corner of
> > > the browser window.

> > Photoshop CS2

> Two people have said that now. Not true. Real dog, real trailer,
> real dog in trailer, real pic of same.
>
> It's been thru dell photo suite, which came on the new notebook, and is
> cropped down from 2.1mb, with an enormous amount of confusion and
> effort.
>
> The trailer has a plywood floor installed on the frame tubes that
> support the bottom of the fabric (above the white plastic line),
> that the bottom of the dog is on (Annie doesn't like standing on
> the plastic curved floor, and ascends to stand on the frame tubing,
> which stresses the fabric, so I put in the 1/4" plywood floor.)
>
> Otherwise I don't know what looks photo-shoppish about it, other than
> all digital photos are digital and so have pixel effects.
>
> Perhaps I'll make a mpg of Annie hopping into the trailer for you,
> when I figure that out.

Oh I see, you're suggesting using photoshop CS2, not saying it's
a photoshopped pic. Sorry.

I just downloaded ifranview, which seems to work cleanly on a couple
of examples, and discarded the dell junk. That may do the trick.

--
Ron Hardin
[email protected]

If you're using Windows XP, here's a tip for you:

Locate the image file on your hard drive.

Right click it, select "Send to..."

Select "Mail Recipient..."

A dialog will pop up asking if you want to keep original size or scale down.

There's a way to show more details - do that and select whichever size you
like. (640x480, 800x600 or 1024x768)

Your email program will open with the newly scaled file as an attachment.
Drag and drop it to your desktop.

Voila.

(I use Photoshop CS but it takes a comparitively long time to open and scale
versus this quick method)

BTW: that IS a huge version you have onine! It runs off my screen at
1680x1050... :eek:

Cute picture BTW!

Chris

news:[email protected]...