Tanjor Trailer



R

Ron Hardin

Guest
I snapped a pic of the monthly big-time-grocery-trip for large items,
picking up 125 pounds of stuff (50# of dog food being the provoking
event and filling out the remainder of the trailer with soda)
http://home.att.net/~rhhardin/bikestuff.jpg

I notice gas prices are in the background

I haven't bought gas this year yet. Normal daily stops at the
store are good for up to 40 pounds in the back milk crate; a need
for a big item provokes a need for the trailer.


older trailer and bike pics
http://home.att.net/~rhhardin/trailer.jpg
http://home.att.net/~rhhardin/bike.jpg
http://home.att.net/~rhhardin/bikenight.jpg
http://home.att.net/~rhhardin/bikebackup.jpg
http://home.att.net/~rhhardin/odyssy1.jpg
http://home.att.net/~rhhardin/odyssy2.jpg
http://home.att.net/~rhhardin/odyssy3.jpg
http://home.att.net/~rhhardin/odyssy4.jpg
http://home.att.net/~rhhardin/heelbike.jpg

Did I mention I just got a digital camera?

--
Ron Hardin
[email protected]

On the internet, nobody knows you're a jerk.
 
R

Ron Hardin

Guest
Ron Hardin wrote:
>
> I snapped a pic of the monthly big-time-grocery-trip for large items,
> picking up 125 pounds of stuff (50# of dog food being the provoking
> event and filling out the remainder of the trailer with soda)
> http://home.att.net/~rhhardin/bikestuff.jpg
>
> I notice gas prices are in the background
>
> I haven't bought gas this year yet. Normal daily stops at the
> store are good for up to 40 pounds in the back milk crate; a need
> for a big item provokes a need for the trailer.
>
> older trailer and bike pics
> http://home.att.net/~rhhardin/trailer.jpg
> http://home.att.net/~rhhardin/bike.jpg
> http://home.att.net/~rhhardin/bikenight.jpg
> http://home.att.net/~rhhardin/bikebackup.jpg
> http://home.att.net/~rhhardin/odyssy1.jpg
> http://home.att.net/~rhhardin/odyssy2.jpg
> http://home.att.net/~rhhardin/odyssy3.jpg
> http://home.att.net/~rhhardin/odyssy4.jpg
> http://home.att.net/~rhhardin/heelbike.jpg
>
> Did I mention I just got a digital camera?


I forgot these

http://home.att.net/~rhhardin/trailerin1.jpg
http://home.att.net/~rhhardin/trailerin2.jpg
http://home.att.net/~rhhardin/trailerin3.jpg
http://home.att.net/~rhhardin/trailerin4.jpg
http://home.att.net/~rhhardin/trailerin5.jpg
http://home.att.net/~rhhardin/trailerin6.jpg
http://home.att.net/~rhhardin/trailerout1.jpg
http://home.att.net/~rhhardin/trailerout2.jpg

answering the question how you get the dog in the trailer.
--
Ron Hardin
[email protected]

On the internet, nobody knows you're a jerk.
 
E

Earl Bollinger

Guest
"Ron Hardin" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]
> Ron Hardin wrote:
>>
>> I snapped a pic of the monthly big-time-grocery-trip for large items,
>> picking up 125 pounds of stuff (50# of dog food being the provoking
>> event and filling out the remainder of the trailer with soda)
>> http://home.att.net/~rhhardin/bikestuff.jpg
>>
>> I notice gas prices are in the background
>>
>> I haven't bought gas this year yet. Normal daily stops at the
>> store are good for up to 40 pounds in the back milk crate; a need
>> for a big item provokes a need for the trailer.
>>
>> older trailer and bike pics
>> http://home.att.net/~rhhardin/trailer.jpg
>> http://home.att.net/~rhhardin/bike.jpg
>> http://home.att.net/~rhhardin/bikenight.jpg
>> http://home.att.net/~rhhardin/bikebackup.jpg
>> http://home.att.net/~rhhardin/odyssy1.jpg
>> http://home.att.net/~rhhardin/odyssy2.jpg
>> http://home.att.net/~rhhardin/odyssy3.jpg
>> http://home.att.net/~rhhardin/odyssy4.jpg
>> http://home.att.net/~rhhardin/heelbike.jpg
>>
>> Did I mention I just got a digital camera?

>
> I forgot these
>
> http://home.att.net/~rhhardin/trailerin1.jpg
> http://home.att.net/~rhhardin/trailerin2.jpg
> http://home.att.net/~rhhardin/trailerin3.jpg
> http://home.att.net/~rhhardin/trailerin4.jpg
> http://home.att.net/~rhhardin/trailerin5.jpg
> http://home.att.net/~rhhardin/trailerin6.jpg
> http://home.att.net/~rhhardin/trailerout1.jpg
> http://home.att.net/~rhhardin/trailerout2.jpg
>
> answering the question how you get the dog in the trailer.
> --
> Ron Hardin
> [email protected]
>
> On the internet, nobody knows you're a jerk.


I really love your setup.
That is really great
Thank you very much for sharing.
 
R

Ron Hardin

Guest
Earl Bollinger wrote:

> I really love your setup.
> That is really great
> Thank you very much for sharing.


One not-obvious secret is that there are a couple of hidden (not
visible) supports you need, if copying it

1. There's a seat-post luggage carrier beam lashed under the regular
luggage carrier (A Bell seat post rack, stripped of everything but
the center beam), that provides vertical but mostly lateral support
to the regular luggage rack. Otherwise, a heavy load sways too much
on the back milk crate, side to side.

2. Under the milk crate, a strip of scrap wood distributes the load
where it hangs off the back of the luggage carrier. Otherwise the
plastic would fatigue and break very quickly.

Other than that, it works as you see it.

--
Ron Hardin
[email protected]

On the internet, nobody knows you're a jerk.
 
J

John_Kane

Guest
Earl Bollinger wrote:
> "Ron Hardin" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]
>
> > answering the question how you get the dog in the trailer.
> > --
> > Ron Hardin
> > [email protected]
> >
> > On the internet, nobody knows you're a jerk.

>
> I really love your setup.
> That is really great
> Thank you very much for sharing.


I don't know about this. If the trailer attracts that kind of
hitchhiker ...
John Kane
Kingston ON
 
S

Steve knight

Guest
On Mon, 05 Sep 2005 11:58:23 GMT, Ron Hardin <[email protected]>
wrote:

>I snapped a pic of the monthly big-time-grocery-trip for large items,
>picking up 125 pounds of stuff (50# of dog food being the provoking
>event and filling out the remainder of the trailer with soda)
>http://home.att.net/~rhhardin/bikestuff.jpg


that looks like a spendy trailer. all that covering has to cost a fair
amount. looks like it is far bigger then what you could carry with it.
Knight-Toolworks
http://www.knight-toolworks.com
affordable handmade wooden planes
 
R

Ron Hardin

Guest
Steve knight wrote:
>
> On Mon, 05 Sep 2005 11:58:23 GMT, Ron Hardin <[email protected]>
> wrote:
>
> >I snapped a pic of the monthly big-time-grocery-trip for large items,
> >picking up 125 pounds of stuff (50# of dog food being the provoking
> >event and filling out the remainder of the trailer with soda)
> >http://home.att.net/~rhhardin/bikestuff.jpg

>
> that looks like a spendy trailer. all that covering has to cost a fair
> amount. looks like it is far bigger then what you could carry with it.
> Knight-Toolworks
> http://www.knight-toolworks.com
> affordable handmade wooden planes


It ran about $430 as I recall. There are lots of curved components,
and it's hand pre-assembled and drilled and un-assembled so that the
fabric is drilled right for each one. Very sturdy frame engineering.

I liked the aerodynamics and the B-29 look. You get to ride one
gear higher than with eg., a Burley, owing to the drag reduction,
which actually is a lot of difference.

It shares with every trailer of any design whatsoever that the hills
are twice as steep if you're pulling 150 pounds, so upgrades
you don't even notice alone become extremely noticeable with a load.

On the other hand, at the bottom of downgrades, you find you go
fast for noticeably longer with the Tanjor, as it pushes you along
without adding much corresponding air drag.

You do spend much more time going uphill than downhill, however, and
that effect is multiplied pulling a load. That affects your inclination
to attach a trailer for some nonce-jaunt, if there are hills involved.

Tanjor seems to be out of business now. Here's their ad
http://www.totalbike.com/news/article/288/ for the model with seats.

(I have the cargo version, with an added Burley hitch, which fits
the Tanjor)

--
Ron Hardin
[email protected]

On the internet, nobody knows you're a jerk.
 
J

Jasper Janssen

Guest
On Mon, 05 Sep 2005 12:23:48 GMT, Ron Hardin <[email protected]>
wrote:

>1. There's a seat-post luggage carrier beam lashed under the regular
>luggage carrier (A Bell seat post rack, stripped of everything but
>the center beam), that provides vertical but mostly lateral support
>to the regular luggage rack. Otherwise, a heavy load sways too much
>on the back milk crate, side to side.


An oldfashioned Dutch style rack would probably support the milk crate
without all that, those things can carry 80 kilos (IOW, a second person)
without flinching. Thickwall steel tubes half an inch OD running from the
bolts at the brake bridge to the rack eyelets or, more usually since it's
cheaper, around the nutted axle, with some 1/8 or so solid steel rods
joining them together to form the platform. Weighs like a mofo, of course.
probably somewhere between 1 and 2 lbs. Would still require the piece of
scrap wood since the milk crate isn't strong enough, of course.


Jasper

http://www.multibike.nl/shop/pointeratlantaht3.jpg
 
R

Robert Uhl

Guest
Ron Hardin <[email protected]> writes:
>
> Tanjor seems to be out of business now. Here's their ad
> http://www.totalbike.com/news/article/288/ for the model with seats.


Pity--it looks like a really nice little trailer. Guess I'll have to
get a BoB or something similar instead.

--
Robert Uhl <http://public.xdi.org/=ruhl>
Opium is the religion of the atheist.
 
S

Steve knight

Guest

>It ran about $430 as I recall. There are lots of curved components,
>and it's hand pre-assembled and drilled and un-assembled so that the
>fabric is drilled right for each one. Very sturdy frame engineering.

that's not too bad then.

>
>I liked the aerodynamics and the B-29 look. You get to ride one
>gear higher than with eg., a Burley, owing to the drag reduction,
>which actually is a lot of difference.


how fast do you haul it? I only go fast with an empty trailer. but it
still bounces around quite a bit when empty.

>It shares with every trailer of any design whatsoever that the hills
>are twice as steep if you're pulling 150 pounds, so upgrades
>you don't even notice alone become extremely noticeable with a load.



yep (G)

>On the other hand, at the bottom of downgrades, you find you go
>fast for noticeably longer with the Tanjor, as it pushes you along
>without adding much corresponding air drag.


I hate the way a trailer will push and pull you around with a heavy
load. startled me the first time it happened.


now you want to get tugged around try a 200# load (G)
Knight-Toolworks
http://www.knight-toolworks.com
affordable handmade wooden planes
 
R

Ron Hardin

Guest
Steve knight wrote:
> how fast do you haul it? I only go fast with an empty trailer. but it
> still bounces around quite a bit when empty.


I don't notice any bouncing directly, but the light plywood floor
I dropped in rattles when there's nothing on it, in spite of all
sorts of attempted silencings.

Probably 15mph most of the time.

The floor makes it more acceptable to the dog. Otherwise she stands
on the frame instead of the nice plastic floor God intended.

Putting in the floor solved that, but then she leans into the fabric
and pushes it into the wheel. So there's a light plywood side insert
made of scrap plywood floor pieces protecting the fabric from leaning
as well; and serving to hold the floor down firmly on the frame as
a side effect. Nevertheless it rattles empty.

It's perfect for the dog though.

--
Ron Hardin
[email protected]

On the internet, nobody knows you're a jerk.