tape those vents

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by Dan Connelly, Feb 10, 2004.

  1. Dan Connelly

    Dan Connelly Guest

    Tags:

  2. Bob Schwartz

    Bob Schwartz Guest

  3. Arthur Clune

    Arthur Clune Guest

    Bob Schwartz <[email protected]> wrote:

    : One year we had to have our timer go to 1/100 sec to determine a cash paying position at a time
    : trial. Taping helmet vents is not such a crazy thing to do.

    I take it you had electronic timing then? Going to 1/100 sec with human timers in spurious accuracy.
    The reaction time variance for most people is way more than that.

    Arthur

    --
    Arthur Clune http://www.clune.org "Technolibertarians make a philosophy out of a personality defect"
    - Paulina Borsook

  4. Bob Schwartz

    Bob Schwartz Guest

    Arthur Clune <[email protected]> wrote:
    > Bob Schwartz <[email protected]> wrote:

    > : One year we had to have our timer go to 1/100 sec to determine a cash paying position at a time
    > : trial. Taping helmet vents is not such a crazy thing to do.

    > I take it you had electronic timing then? Going to 1/100 sec with human timers in spurious
    > accuracy. The reaction time variance for most people is way more than that.

    Actually, declaring a tie while hand timing was one of the things that convinced us to go to
    electronic timing. That happened a couple of years earlier.

    Bob Schwartz [email protected]

  5. Bob Schwartz

    Bob Schwartz Guest

    Kurgan Gringioni <[email protected]> wrote:

    > "Bob Schwartz" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    >> Dan Connelly <[email protected]_e_e_e.o_r_g> wrote:
    >> > Hey, I thought I was the only one to tape helmet vents:
    >> >
    > http://www.cyclingnews.com/photos/2004/feb04/langkawi04/index.php?id=05/IMG_9558
    >>
    >> One year we had to have our timer go to 1/100 sec to determine a cash paying position at a time
    >> trial. Taping helmet vents is not such a crazy thing to do.

    > It's not crazy but it is Fredly.

    We're non-USAC. So not only do we allow recumbents, we allow them with no restrictions. In other
    words, we've already crossed that particular bridge. I'm pretty sure we've had people show up in
    tube socks.

    Bob Schwartz [email protected]

  6. Dan Connelly

    Dan Connelly Guest

    > It's not crazy but it is Fredly.

    Next time I see Eric I'll mention you think so.

    Dan

    P.S. TdL has quite particular rules on the time trial. They allow aero bars, but not disk wheels,
    etc. I don't know how the rules extend to helmets.

    WRT taping the vents and hundredths of a second -- I'd guess 10 seconds more than 0.01 seconds is
    more to the mark of the time saved in a time trial of that length (~ 20min). It would be relatively
    easy to conduct a crude test, I suspect, with a head foam.

  7. Andy Coggan

    Andy Coggan Guest

  8. Jeff Jones

    Jeff Jones Guest

  9. "Dan Connelly" <[email protected]_e_e_e.o_r_g> wrote in message
    news:%[email protected]...
    > > It's not crazy but it is Fredly.
    >
    > Next time I see Eric I'll mention you think so.
    >
    > Dan
    >
    > P.S. TdL has quite particular rules on the time trial. They allow aero
    bars,
    > but not disk wheels, etc. I don't know how the rules extend to helmets.
    >
    > WRT taping the vents and hundredths of a second -- I'd guess 10 seconds more than 0.01 seconds is
    > more to the mark of the time saved in a time
    trial
    > of that length (~ 20min). It would be relatively easy to conduct a crude test, I suspect, with a
    > head foam.

    Dumbass -

    I said it wasn't crazy but it is Fredly.

  10. Greg Hall

    Greg Hall Guest