tape those vents

Bob Schwartz <[email protected]> wrote:

: One year we had to have our timer go to 1/100 sec to determine a cash paying position at a time
: trial. Taping helmet vents is not such a crazy thing to do.

I take it you had electronic timing then? Going to 1/100 sec with human timers in spurious accuracy.
The reaction time variance for most people is way more than that.

Arthur

--
Arthur Clune http://www.clune.org "Technolibertarians make a philosophy out of a personality defect"
- Paulina Borsook

Arthur Clune <[email protected]> wrote:
> Bob Schwartz <[email protected]> wrote:

> : One year we had to have our timer go to 1/100 sec to determine a cash paying position at a time
> : trial. Taping helmet vents is not such a crazy thing to do.

> I take it you had electronic timing then? Going to 1/100 sec with human timers in spurious
> accuracy. The reaction time variance for most people is way more than that.

Actually, declaring a tie while hand timing was one of the things that convinced us to go to
electronic timing. That happened a couple of years earlier.

Kurgan Gringioni <[email protected]> wrote:

> "Bob Schwartz" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
>> Dan Connelly <d_j_c_o_n_n_e_l@i_e_e_e.o_r_g> wrote:
>> > Hey, I thought I was the only one to tape helmet vents:
>> >
> http://www.cyclingnews.com/photos/2004/feb04/langkawi04/index.php?id=05/IMG_9558
>>
>> One year we had to have our timer go to 1/100 sec to determine a cash paying position at a time
>> trial. Taping helmet vents is not such a crazy thing to do.

> It's not crazy but it is Fredly.

We're non-USAC. So not only do we allow recumbents, we allow them with no restrictions. In other
words, we've already crossed that particular bridge. I'm pretty sure we've had people show up in
tube socks.

Bob Schwartz [email protected]

> It's not crazy but it is Fredly.

Next time I see Eric I'll mention you think so.

Dan

P.S. TdL has quite particular rules on the time trial. They allow aero bars, but not disk wheels,
etc. I don't know how the rules extend to helmets.

WRT taping the vents and hundredths of a second -- I'd guess 10 seconds more than 0.01 seconds is
more to the mark of the time saved in a time trial of that length (~ 20min). It would be relatively
easy to conduct a crude test, I suspect, with a head foam.

Dan Connelly <d_j_c_o_n_n_e_l@i_e_e_e.o_r_g> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> Hey, I thought I was the only one to tape helmet vents:
> http://www.cyclingnews.com/photos/2004/feb04/langkawi04/index.php?id=05/IMG_9558
>
> Dan

Can you say 'placebo'? Unless he's tested that setup in the windtunnel, there's no way to know how
much, if at all, he improved his drag numbers. Hell, he may have made it worse!

Of course, there's no doubt he has affected his cooling capability.

S.

"Dan Connelly" <d_j_c_o_n_n_e_l@i_e_e_e.o_r_g> wrote in message
news:%[email protected]...
> > It's not crazy but it is Fredly.
>
> Next time I see Eric I'll mention you think so.
>
> Dan
>
> P.S. TdL has quite particular rules on the time trial. They allow aero
bars,
> but not disk wheels, etc. I don't know how the rules extend to helmets.
>
> WRT taping the vents and hundredths of a second -- I'd guess 10 seconds more than 0.01 seconds is
> more to the mark of the time saved in a time
trial
> of that length (~ 20min). It would be relatively easy to conduct a crude test, I suspect, with a
> head foam.

Dumbass -

I said it wasn't crazy but it is Fredly.