General fitness, health and nutrition · Public discussion

taper works

Started by Charlie Pendejo · · Last activity · 174 posts · 2,923 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
General fitness, health and nutrition
Published
30 October 2005
Last activity
5 November 2005
Original author
Charlie Pendejo
Posts
174
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
2,923
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 21–40 of 174
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. "Charlie Pendejo" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:
    steve common said:

    Oh, and if you haven't done so already, have a read of Ozzie's stuff
    on skyhooks and the like.

    Thanks, I've enjoyed and learned from some of Ozzie's writings but
    skyhooks don't sound familiar. I'll get right on it.

    Yeah - I'll second Steve's recommendation of Ozzie's "mental
    conditioning"...

    That helped me before and during my first marathon - especially the bits
    about relaxing face, shoulders, neck.

    Good luck for Sunday!!

    Anthony.

  2. "Charlie Pendejo" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    And hey, aside from all those other rock solid reasons for my
    confidence, here's my ace in the hole: even after a 70 mile week, Doug
    didn't tell me I was running too many miles for my talent level.

    Nice try to get me into this but now that you baited the hook. I very
    seldom look at what people post for weekly mileage and don't feel hurt
    but I did not look at yours either. I'll assume the 70 a week did not
    hurt you or you would be posting along with Lance-a-lot with tears
    allowing ego to usurp talent.

    Quoted message said:

    (let's see, consulting ye olde "miles vs. marathon finishing time"
    chart) he must think I'm capable of 3:08 to 3:17.

    No F**king way. I think I already posted that I agreed with Donovan that
    3:20 maybe 3:25 is a smarter goal considering your 1/2 times and
    inexperience at the distance. Hang in with a 7:40 pace( to keep the
    numbers even) through about 18-20 and then see how you feel. If your
    physical energy still matches your ego, pick up the pace a little and
    give the last 10k a belt.

    How many long runs of 20 or more did you do and what was the longest
    run?

    Quoted message said:

    And unlike you, I
    respect Doug's experience - who am I to tell him he's wrong?

    In this case I would listen to D & D go out at a 3:20 pace. For [censored] a
    giggles I'll predict a 3:30 because a 3:25 may be a better goal and
    you'll back into 3:30. I hope I'm wrong.....

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    Until [next week], it's all hot air.

    True some hot air has value. 😉

    Quoted message said:

    Of course. And anyone who's averse to hot air has come to the wrong
    place, hasn't she!

    At least for a healthy discussion.

    -DougF

  3. Quoted message said:

    And feel free to continue trying to mess with my head, lance


    ______

    doing no such thing...just pointing out you're speculating founded zero
    substance. your expressed theoretical models and all this hypothesizing
    lacks any foundation. it's fun to kick around...but it's not connected
    w/reality. furthermore it doesn't help that you've never gone sub 4:00
    in a marathon or sub 1:30 in a 1/2M....and yes that 3:07 and 3:10 talk
    had me ROTFLMAO...and Stumpus' 3:15 cheer is funny too. lastly, it's
    going to be 69F on Saturday. If it's 65F at the start on Sunday...3:26
    - 3:30 is the best of all outcomes for you. i believe you're going to
    "race" for 16 miles. the 59th St. bridge will kick your ass and in
    your first mile in Manhattan you'll see you're overwhelmed, your quads
    will be shot and at this point your "race" will de-volve into a
    "training run". in your mind you will justify it all as okay since
    it's your first time in the NYCM. Your time wil be 3:28.

    Pendejo, you don't know what it's like, or ever even considered what
    it's like to have sun beating on you for hours. There is little to no
    shade in this race Pendejo. If the weather is like the last 2
    years...squinting & eye fatigue will take it toll on a runner like you.
    This is one example of something you never even factored that into
    your theoretical models have you Pendejo? You're not even ready for
    that real possibility are you? Things like this will de-volve your
    race into what you've been doing all Summer..."training".

    I think there's a good chance you're going to be psychologically beat
    at mile 22 when you see that 3:30 is slipping, you'll further break
    down...and you just may come in at 3:35.

  4. On Mon, 31 Oct 2005 12:30:41 GMT, "Doug Freese" <[email hidden]>

    Quoted message said:

    along with Lance-a-lot

    Lancelots problem was because of nikes. I told him...

  5. Charlie Pendejo said:

    Well then I must ask, what can you say about perceived effort and
    marathon pace? Can you (or anyone?) vividly describe how an all out,
    even paced, good weather marathon pace feels, as opposed to slightly
    faster or slower?

    Funnily enough, I'm not sure that I know what an all out, even paced
    marathon pace feels like cuz I never went just on the wrong side of it :-)

    I think my 3:03:23 this spring was much closer than my PB 2:55, but looking
    back, a more aggressive strategy this year may have got me 1' or 2' better,
    if not the sub 3.

    What I try to do during the race is to keep skittering along just under the
    point where my breathing pattern changes durably, and which I equate to my
    best marathon effort. So every minute or so I'll get a couple of quicker
    breathing cycles before falling back to "regular" breathing.

    This seems to correspond to the heart rate which the sports medicine lab of
    the regional hospital told me was close to the point where my lactate
    concentration hit the accelerated upward curve.

    It may well be that I'm underselling myself by a touch but not by more than
    a minute or two now, unless I could force myself to act in "life
    threatening" mode; but for me, that ain't what sport is about.

    Quoted message said:

    I don't use a HRM and am not sure precisely what feelings correlate
    with 87%.

    87% may not be your number and even with all the measuring I've done, I'm
    not sure what my max is: I used 185 for ages, until I saw 190+ when coming
    back off a burned-out period.

    I reckon I get such close projections of my marathon times from regular
    observations of some physical parameters, but I don't really know if I do
    those times simply because I've chosen to believe the parameters I'm
    studying, and hence make the corresponding effort in races.

    That's one reason why I'm never too enthusiastic about discouraging
    seemingly optimistic efforts like you or lance have been looking at.

    Quoted message said:

    I have a decent feel for half marathon effort, and surely
    felt that 7:15/mi (3:10 marathon pace) was notably easier at SI two
    weeks ago than an all-out 21k race effort. Certainly could have run
    more than 13 7:15 miles, untapered, on a pretty windy day and a course
    broadly comparable topographically to NYCM.

    First two options I can see are, whatever happens, go out the first two
    miles (to get over the big bridge up/down) with the 3:15 guys, to see how
    everything is coming together on the day, then:
    - if you are on a roll, pick up to 3:10 pace over the following mile and
    hold the pace to the end
    - if you still don't know, stick with the 3:15 bunch until you get a reason
    to re-evaluate.

    Either way, remember that holding the same pace will get progressively
    harder, and require more and more "focus", if you're near optimal marathon
    pace.

    Reminder: Negative thoughts of any kind are of no use to you in any
    circumstances, except if you are getting injured.

    Quoted message said:

    Pendejo, wondering what's French for "pendejo"?

    Well I didn't look far so I'm not sure if it's "Con" (a variable-geometry
    word whose "strength" depends on the country/region/con-text) or "Branleur"
    or something otherwise more subtle (which I suspect of you :-)

    Literally it's perhaps "poil de cul" or, politely "poil pubien" and given
    that moustache, it may be just... sorry :-P

    Here's a discussion
    http://www.ngcsu.edu/Academic/Arts_Let/LangLit/french/BMann/Resources/Pendejo.htm

  6. Charlie Pendejo said:

    At least it seems to be kicking in.

    [taper-madness snipped]

    General stuff I would recommend, not taking into account the course, the
    weather, etc:

    1. Don't go out too fast.
    2. Don't go out too fast.
    3. If you are seriously shooting for 3:15, go out the first few miles with
    the 3:20 or 3:25 guys, so you won't go out too fast. Likewise if you're
    shooting for 3:10 (go out with 3:15 or 3:20 people). This is so you won't
    go out too fast.
    4. Don't go out too fast.
    5. Make it a very super extra important goal to get to 20 or 21 with a
    clear head and with your legs under you, then
    6. At 20 or 21, start giving it whatever you've got; make it last until the
    end.

    Just some advice from an average joe, who - it's been said - flies a mite
    too close to the sun. Take all this with an average-sized grain of salt.
    Good luck; I'll be thinking about you Sunday.

    Karen

    --
    live! vicariously!

  7. Charlie Pendejo said:

    Well then I must ask, what can you say about perceived effort and
    marathon pace? Can you (or anyone?) vividly describe how an all out,
    even paced, good weather marathon pace feels, as opposed to slightly
    faster or slower?

    The former (if I can correctly recall how it felt):

    1-5 you should feel like screaming "My race is getting ruined!" and
    using your elbows to get ahead of all those slow runners.
    5-10 you should feel angry with yourself for listening to me.
    10-15 you should be saying to yourself "This is no way to run a
    marathon,
    but at this point I might just as well keep smiling at the
    crowds."
    15-20 you should still find running almost too easy, as if you were
    doing a
    sort of "Marathon Light".
    20-25 you should be thinking "this isn't worse than I've felt this far
    into a training run" and begin to write a draft of your race
    report
    in your mind.
    25-30 you should begin to feel the effort of lifting your knees, but
    not
    too strongly to stop you from humming "another one bits the
    dust".
    30-35 you should begin to feel the effort of swinging your arms and you
    will
    have to remind yourself that a marathon is no picnic.

    35-42 whatever you will feel at this point will not be related to pace,

    slower pace will feel just as overflowingly full of efforst as a
    faster.

    Anders

  8. Quoted message said:

    go out the first two miles (to get over the big bridge up/down) with the 3:15 guys, to see how


    everything is coming together on the day,
    ______

    ok...some reality for the ng. pendejo does not have to "get over, up
    and down" anything. it's 1 mile first of all and your words would
    apply if he was on top of the bridge. the bridge has 2 levels, Pendejo
    is at the bottom and has a _flat_ 1 mile run across the bridge and then
    downward. the top is arched, the bottom is not.

    Quoted message said:

    if you are on a roll, pick up to 3:10 pace over the following mile and hold the pace to the end

    well there you have it, the plan is hatched!

  9. steve common said:

    What I try to do during the race is to keep skittering along just under the
    point where my breathing pattern changes durably, and which I equate to my
    best marathon effort. So every minute or so I'll get a couple of quicker
    breathing cycles before falling back to "regular" breathing.

    This is very much the "smoke detector" that I try to use: the moment I
    catch myself falling into what I've come to identify as a "LT run
    breathing pattern", I ease up a notch immediately.

    Anders (who, too, would urge to go ahead and gun for 3:15)

  10. Quoted message said:

    Anders (who, too, would urge to go ahead and gun for 3:15)


    ___

    Anders, Steve, Karen & Stumpus all shouting 3:15.
    Donovan, Doug, & Me shouting 3:25-3:30.

    Where do all these people live? Draw your own conclusions......

  11. Quoted message said:

    Anders, Steve, Karen & Stumpus all shouting 3:15.
    Donovan, Doug, & Me shouting 3:25-3:30.

    Where do all these people live? Draw your own conclusions......

    In a normal place? Unlike you who lives in a filthy, slimy, greasy
    city?

  12. lance said:

    in your mind you will justify it all as okay since it's your
    first time in the NYCM. Your time wil be 3:28.

    In my mind I will justify it all as okay since I will have given my
    best effort, not just during the race, but all summer and fall training
    for it, and these pre-marathon weeks visualizing, strategizing, and
    sauna-izing in all this hot air.

    As for 3:28, we'll know soon enough - but it's good to know that even
    you, in your attempts to mess with my head, predict I'll finish faster
    than you did last year. :-)

    Quoted message said:

    Pendejo, you don't know what it's like, or ever even considered
    what it's like to have sun beating on you for hours.

    Frankly my dear, I have more recent experience running hours in the hot
    sun than you. I've run legit long runs, over two hours and often
    2:30-3:00+, at least every other week these last couple summers. One
    Sunday afternoon in August this meant 20 miles in 92F heat, for
    example.

    Quoted message said:

    squinting & eye fatigue will take it toll on a runner like you.

    Hint, lance: baseball cap or visor, shades. Take it from this relative
    novice, they work!

    Pendejo, consciously relaxing his eyes, not rolling them

  13. Charlie Pendejo said:
    lance said:

    in your mind you will justify it all as okay since it's your
    first time in the NYCM. Your time wil be 3:28.

    In my mind I will justify it all as okay since I will have given my
    best effort, not just during the race, but all summer and fall training
    for it, and these pre-marathon weeks visualizing, strategizing, and
    sauna-izing in all this hot air.

    As for 3:28, we'll know soon enough - but it's good to know that even
    you, in your attempts to mess with my head, predict I'll finish faster
    than you did last year. :-)

    Since the betting pool is on--

    I'm predicting a 3:20 if it's 60 or cooler at the starting line, and add
    1 minute for each degree above 60 if it's warmer.

    Cheers,
    --
    Donovan Rebbechi
    http://pegasus.rutgers.edu/~elflord/

  14. "Charlie Pendejo" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...
    ........

    Quoted message said:
    Doug Freese said:

    I agree with D that 3:20 is smarter

    OK, there's two votes from the "D" section. 3:20 based on _____?


    From the official website:
    http://www.nycmarathon.org/training/coursepreview.php

    "One Tough Course
    No marathon is easy, but the ING New York City Marathon can be even tougher
    than most because of the course. It's not fast-don't let anyone tell you
    otherwise. You need to be realistic with your time goals or you will be
    setting yourself up for disappointment. To predict your marathon time, you
    would generally take your half-marathon time, multiply by two, and add 10
    minutes-assuming comparable courses, weather, and training. For the ING New
    York City Marathon, add another five to 10 minutes to your range. For
    example, if you ran Grete's Great Gallop Half-Marathon in 1:30, your range
    for the ING New York City Marathon would be 3:10 to 3:20. "

    Download the elevation chart. Those hills are nothing to trifle with if
    going for time. I seem to remember someone last year talking about a course
    specific pace chart, based on the elevations. That might be worth finding.

    I'm not a marathoner, but I had a goal race that I'd never raced before this
    year (the escarpment trail run), and I chose to take the advice to go out
    very conservatively. As it turned out, I probably could have gone faster,
    but I enjoyed speeding up as I went, and passing people. Next year I can try
    to run it faster, knowing how the course runs better, but will follow a
    similar strategy. You should probably do the same. If you have enough left
    to smoke the last 6 miles, then you can beef about it.

    -Tony

  15. Tony S. said:

    Download the elevation chart. Those hills are nothing to trifle with if
    going for time. I seem to remember someone last year talking about a course
    specific pace chart, based on the elevations. That might be worth finding.

    nikerunning.com

    Cheers,
    --
    Donovan Rebbechi
    http://pegasus.rutgers.edu/~elflord/

  16. joe positive said:

    Just some advice from an average joe

    Thanks Karen. As my marathon hero, who else need I even listen to?

    Except of course Stumpus and common and Lustig - can't miss their
    combinations of fine writing, solid experience, and insight.

    And the Doug and Donovan father-and-son wisdom-and-speed
    grumpy-and-arrogant act.

    And Twitty, who has provided a terrific word-image-soundtrack to this
    thread - thanks Twitty!

    And naturally lance and that TBR creep, because what court is complete
    without two jesters?

    And Anthony - thanks Anthony for the well-wishes! - who I don't know
    well enough to pigeonhole in good conscience at the moment.

    But clearly, I'm listening first and foremost to Karen, who, if I read
    between the lines, just said "Charlie, I've no doubt you can run a 3:15
    next Sunday". Thanks Karen! You are easily my favorite Floridian!

    Pendejo, liable to collapse mid-Verrazano in a seizure of epic
    silliness if he gets any goofier

  17. Quoted message said:

    As for 3:28, we'll know soon enough - but it's good to know that even


    you, in your attempts to mess with my head, predict I'll finish faster
    than you did last year. :-)
    ___

    yeah but you won't run faster than the NYCM wherein i wore shoes for
    the whole race.....

  18. Quoted message said:

    I'm predicting a 3:20 if it's 60 or cooler at the starting line, and add 1 minute for each degree above 60 if it's warmer.


    ___

    that would be 2 x 1/2M + 16. care to support how you derive this
    number? i made my case for him going 3:28...how do you have him at
    your number?

    in my first NYCM I did 2 x 1/2M + 17 (coming off Grete's 1/2M of
    1:30:30) (of course my longerst training run was 9 miles and that hurt
    me). his long runs just might payoff for himself.

    FYI:
    NOAA has for Sunday: Partly cloudy, with a high around 64. that means
    it should be about 58F or so at the start of the race...

  19. [quote="Charlie Pendejo"]At least it seems to be kicking in.

    [a] I'm already getting noticeably nuttier after just a week with no
    doubles, two days off, and after tomorrow somewhere near 60% my avg
    weekly mileage. This also follows two 50 mile weeks, low side of
    normal - I've fluctuated from about 50 to 70 and generally followed a
    lower mileage week with a higher.

    [b] I also seem to maybe be getting faster with the decreased workload.
    Ran some "tempo intervals" at the park today: 4:00 MP to tempo effort
    by feel, 1:00 jog recovery. I believe (not super precise - I've only
    got an overall time and park loop distance so I must estimate recovery
    jog pace [9:00] to solve for the faster pace) the faster bits averaged
    about 6:50/mile, which is 20-25 seconds faster than similar effort felt
    just a few weeks ago.

    Wow, if a week of even lower mileage has me just about jumping out of
    my skin and running faster easier, it's going to take a lot of
    discipline to hold back those first couple miles and even the first
    half of the course! Anyone find this difficult? What has helped?

    I'm flirting with the idea of running with the 3:15 pace group, at
    least for 13 or 16 or 18 miles. Some weeks/months ago I thought I
    might aim for more like 3:10 - and in fact ran the last 11 miles of
    Staten Island 21k two weeks ago at that pace, around 7:15. Felt like I
    finished with a lot left in the tank, sped up to run mile 13 in 6:41
    after averaging 7:06 over the preceding 4.

    OTOH my 21k PB is 1:32 (same in 2004 & 05), and the rule of thumb
    "double 21k + 10:00" = 3:14, and NYCM *is* a somewhat slower course
    than some... all of which argues against 3:10. But neither can I
    believe I'll need 3:24 (2 x 21k + 20:00). No way, barring horrible
    weather, excessive stoopidity, or something unforseen. So my thinking
    is, maybe I stick to 3:15 pace for say 16-18 miles, then decide whether
    to accelerate, hold steady, slow up, or DNF.

    And it appears running with the pace group may yield the additional
    bonus of a more assured starting spot relatively up front. I'd just as
    soon not stand outside in the cold for hours longer than needed to
    protect my starting spot, nor elbow my way much forward from my
    legitimate place, which seems neither fair nor prudent if I get swept
    up by people running much faster. If I can simply join the group
    standing under a 3:15 balloon, and they're about where they should be
    relative to the other runners, that itself seems like a coup.

    Pendejo, destined to become even less bearable these next seven days
    [/quote]

    I'm late to the party but I don't see anything about prior Marathon
    times. Is this your first?
    I'll make my prediction after I verfiy that.
    The killer for me was 1st Ave., no clouds and not a bit of shade to be
    found. That's where dehydration set in. I missed the mile marks for 18
    and 19.

    I'm thinking about the After The Leaves Have Fallen 20k in the "Gunks"
    on Sunday.

  20. lance said:

    yeah but you won't run faster than the NYCM wherein i wore shoes for
    the whole race.....

    Abebe, my habibi, I see Rome throws a 42k in the spring - last weekend
    in March. Surely shoes are still optional.

    Whaddya say? Wanna run it?

    I think we could count on a decent pre-race pasta party and good wine
    afterward.

    Pendejo, with frequent flier miles just waiting to be cashed in

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.