tapered headset

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Daniel Indyk

i have a wedged quilled stem, which fits into my headset. i recently bought a 'stem raiser'. the
original stem measures 21.54mm dia. whilst the stem raiser measures 22.2mm dia. the sten raiser fits
into the steerer but only about 1/2 way down. should the steerer be tapered? and if so does anyone
know the dia at the bottom...so that i can turn it down on the lathe.

many thanks

danny

what type of bike do you have? some bmx and some older japanese bikes have a slightly small diameter
stem than the standard 22.2mm

"Daniel Indyk" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> i have a wedged quilled stem, which fits into my headset. i recently bought a 'stem raiser'. the
> original stem measures 21.54mm dia. whilst the stem raiser measures 22.2mm dia. the sten raiser
> fits into the steerer but only about 1/2 way down. should the steerer be tapered? and if so does
> anyone know the dia at the bottom...so that i can turn it down on the lathe.
>
> many thanks
>
> danny

It may be that your fork is of the "USA" type, not "ISO" The ISO standard one inch quill is 22.2mm.
The USA variant is theoretically supposed to be 0.833 inches which is about
21.16mm.

What kind of bicycle is it? That size was used by many American manufacturers and adopted by some
Japanese makers for export here in the early seventies, notably Kawamura/Nishiki.

I don't think there's any reason not to turn it down, assuming the wall thickness is at least as
thick as your original stem. It isn't supposed to be tapered.

You're going to install your stem into the top of that adapter, right? There is a cheap ($1) sleeve
made just for that by Wald, #905. Every LBS has 'em.
--
Andrew Muzi http://www.yellowjersey.org Open every day since 1 April 1971

dindyk-<< i have a wedged quilled stem, which fits into my headset. i recently bought a 'stem
raiser'. the original stem measures 21.54mm dia. whilst the stem raiser measures 22.2mm di
>><BR><BR> << the sten raiser fits into the steerer but only about 1/2 way down. should the
steerer be tapered? and if so does anyone know the dia at the bottom...so that i can turn it down
on the lathe.

Sounds like you have a French stem and fork...

Peter Chisholm Vecchio's Bicicletteria 1833 Pearl St. Boulder, CO, 80302
(303)440-3535 http://www.vecchios.com "Ruote convenzionali costruite eccezionalmente bene"

Status
Not open for further replies.