General fitness, health and nutrition · Public discussion

tapering for a long-distance swim

Started by Steph · · Last activity · 3 posts · 378 views

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
General fitness, health and nutrition
Published
25 August 2005
Last activity
26 August 2005
Original author
Steph
Posts
3
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
378
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–3 of 3
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. I have a big swim event on the 11th and was thinking I should taper but
    am not sure on the best.

    The event is a 3 mile openwater swim.
    I have been regularly swimming 5k meters and can do the distance no
    problem. My workouts have been mostly straight swimming, with maybe some
    kick and stroke work.

    Last week I did a little interval work, and this week I went for a
    steadier pace (not necessarily slower though) and more continuous time.
    Tomorrow will conclude the fifth day in a row of 5k m, with the weekend
    for rest.

    I was thinking I should alternate next week, maybe 4000m swim 1000m kick
    Mon, Wed, and Fri with 2500m swims on Tue/Thur.

    Then September 5-9 maybe duplicate, or do some negative splits. I think
    I want two days rest before the event, so I will take Friday/saturday
    off.

    I do need to be careful of my left shoulder, but so far it is just a
    normal soreness, no swelling or real pain.

    Anybody have some links to sites discussing tapering, specifically for
    long-distance/endurance events?

  2. Steph _CUT said:

    I have a big swim event on the 11th and was thinking I should taper but
    am not sure on the best.

    The event is a 3 mile openwater swim.
    I have been regularly swimming 5k meters and can do the distance no
    problem. My workouts have been mostly straight swimming, with maybe some
    kick and stroke work.

    Last week I did a little interval work, and this week I went for a
    steadier pace (not necessarily slower though) and more continuous time.
    Tomorrow will conclude the fifth day in a row of 5k m, with the weekend
    for rest.

    I was thinking I should alternate next week, maybe 4000m swim 1000m kick
    Mon, Wed, and Fri with 2500m swims on Tue/Thur.

    Then September 5-9 maybe duplicate, or do some negative splits. I think
    I want two days rest before the event, so I will take Friday/saturday
    off.

    I do need to be careful of my left shoulder, but so far it is just a
    normal soreness, no swelling or real pain.

    Anybody have some links to sites discussing tapering, specifically for
    long-distance/endurance events?

    I would do a warmup even on the days off.

  3. "Steph" <[email hidden]_CUT> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    I have a big swim event on the 11th and was thinking I should taper but
    am not sure on the best.

    The event is a 3 mile openwater swim.
    I have been regularly swimming 5k meters and can do the distance no
    problem. My workouts have been mostly straight swimming, with maybe some
    kick and stroke work.

    Last week I did a little interval work, and this week I went for a
    steadier pace (not necessarily slower though) and more continuous time.
    Tomorrow will conclude the fifth day in a row of 5k m, with the weekend
    for rest.

    I was thinking I should alternate next week, maybe 4000m swim 1000m kick
    Mon, Wed, and Fri with 2500m swims on Tue/Thur.

    Then September 5-9 maybe duplicate, or do some negative splits. I think
    I want two days rest before the event, so I will take Friday/saturday
    off.

    I do need to be careful of my left shoulder, but so far it is just a
    normal soreness, no swelling or real pain.

    Anybody have some links to sites discussing tapering, specifically for
    long-distance/endurance events?

    You shouldn't need any taper at all for this swim.

    Taper allows a swimmer to recover from the institutionalized over training
    we use as a training paradigm, in order that the body can produce maximal
    power, which it cannot do in a fatigued state.

    Arguably the huge aerobic loads placed upon a swimmer are just as much
    'training to train' as they are 'training to perform'. In your case of a
    true distance event, you shouldn't be relying on power production at all,
    therefore your best interest lies in maintaining an aerobic state, which
    will decline with any rest you take.

    If you're feeling 'tired' I'd advise you to cut your average volume by
    perhaps 20% and cut out the intensity altogether.

    Even my sprinters (who average about 55-60K a week) will only taper down to
    about 60% of that, middle distance about 70% and distance (those who swim
    1500, much less than you'll be swimming) to about 80%.

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.