Tapering for a race?

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by David Kerber, Oct 7, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. David Kerber

David Kerber Guest

You people who race occasionally (not every week!): do you find that "tapering" your workouts helps
    your performance on race day? I know runners and swimmers will taper their workouts as they approach
    big races. Do you think it works for cyclists as well? If so, how long before, and how much do you
    taper your workouts?

Thanks!
    --
    Dave Kerber Fight spam: remove the ns_ from the return address before replying!

REAL programmers write self-modifying code.

Tags:

2. Doug Purdy

Doug Purdy Guest

"David Kerber" <[email protected]_ids.net> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > You people who race occasionally (not every week!): do you find that "tapering" your workouts
    > helps your performance on race day? I know runners and swimmers will taper their workouts as they
    > approach big races. Do you think it works for cyclists as well? If so, how long before, and how
    > much do you taper your workouts?

I don't race, just commute, but I really notice the difference for a weekend challenge if I ride
    hard or easy Thurs/Fri. If I don't ride at all I feel like King Kong, but I don't know if that
    translates into good results.

Doug Toronto

3. Doug Huffman

Doug Huffman Guest

I've noticed the same thing. Skip a day and the next day's ride is likely faster.

"Doug Purdy" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    >
    > I don't race, just commute, but I really notice the difference for a
    weekend
    > challenge if I ride hard or easy Thurs/Fri. If I don't ride at all I feel like King Kong, but I
    > don't know if that translates into good results.
    >
    > Doug Toronto

4. Golightly F.

Golightly F. Guest

"David Kerber" <[email protected]_ids.net>
    > You people who race occasionally (not every week!): do you find that "tapering" your workouts
    > helps your performance on race day? I know runners and swimmers will taper their workouts as they
    > approach big races. Do you think it works for cyclists as well? If so, how long before, and how
    > much do you taper your workouts?

As you may know tapering is denying the body what it is expecting. The theory isn't as much rest as
    it is denial. I haven't been around competition for years... but as I recall there was a four day
    period... from max to mild.

hth

5. Mark Hickey

Mark Hickey Guest

David Kerber <[email protected]_ids.net> wrote:

>You people who race occasionally (not every week!): do you find that "tapering" your workouts helps
    >your performance on race day? I know runners and swimmers will taper their workouts as they
    >approach big races. Do you think it works for cyclists as well? If so, how long before, and how
    >much do you taper your workouts?

I try to not get in a really hard ride closer than four days out, and try to take at least two days
    off the bike, or at least keep the intensity WAY down. Sometimes I feel invincible after only one
    day off, but two or three is usually better.

Mark Hickey Habanero Cycles http://www.habcycles.com Home of the $695 ti frame

6. Badger South

Badger South Guest

In article <[email protected]>, Doug Huffman
    <[email protected]> wrote:
    >I've noticed the same thing. Skip a day and the next day's ride is likely faster.
    >
    >
    >"Doug Purdy" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >news:[email protected]...
    >>
    >> I don't race, just commute, but I really notice the difference for a
    >weekend
    >> challenge if I ride hard or easy Thurs/Fri. If I don't ride at all I feel like King Kong, but I
    >> don't know if that translates into good results.
    >>
    >> Doug Toronto

Even if you just have an 'easy' cruise day on a couple days it seems to peak on the bike, but
    that might be b/c it's one of the few types of activities where you're doing it -every- day in
    many cases.

I rode with the wife easy on Sat and Sun, and by today, I was up a gear harder, and really pushing
    sections I typically labor on. It was great. I was surprised, especially as I was really tired from
    some yard chores and house work, and rode like 4 hours later than usual. I thought I'd be like
    cutting the ride in half. Instead I felt like I could do it twice. Neat! ;-)

For running I have to start a taper like a week before and event. Swimming, 3-4 days. Seems based on
    demand. You get rest on a bike. Little rest running, though.

Best,

-B

--
    Email Replies to johnson<nospm>01j <att> ntelos <dott> net

7. David Kerber

David Kerber Guest

In article <ml87ovoegv50rvibq[email protected]>, [email protected] says...
    > David Kerber <[email protected]_ids.net> wrote:
    >
    > >You people who race occasionally (not every week!): do you find that "tapering" your workouts
    > >helps your performance on race day? I know runners and swimmers will taper their workouts as they
    > >approach big races. Do you think it works for cyclists as well? If so, how long before, and how
    > >much do you taper your workouts?
    >
    > I try to not get in a really hard ride closer than four days out, and try to take at least two
    > days off the bike, or at least keep the intensity WAY down. Sometimes I feel invincible after only
    > one day off, but two or three is usually better.

That's kind of what I was thinking, but wasn't sure about the specifics of how many days before to
    stop the hard rides. Thanks Mark and Badger for the specific suggestions.

The race is Monday morning. I did a short, hard, high-rpm ride last Monday, nothing Tuesday, and a
    longer easy pace Wednesday. I was thinking of doing another hard one on Thursday, nothing Friday,
    easy on Saturday and nothing on Sunday. That would seem to fit with your and Badger's suggestions.
    Or I may go easy Friday and nothing on both Saturday and Sunday; I'll play that by how I feel.

--
    Dave Kerber Fight spam: remove the ns_ from the return address before replying!

REAL programmers write self-modifying code.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.