Tapering question

dshort461

Feb 11, 2011
I have read a lot of different articles on tapering and I know it differs from person to person and it depends on the length of your event for the length and volume of the taper. I haven't really been able to find anything stating where to plug it into your training block leading up to your event. For example, if you were going to taper a week before your event would you want the taper to take the place of your rest week, or would you do a rest week and then the taper, or would you do a rest week, a week of intensity and then taper?

As you said it varies depending on the event you're taping for as well as the depth of your training base and fatigue when you start the taper.

Personally I have best tapering results when I dig a pretty deep training hole by doing a few hard long days in the saddle before tapering. My best results have come when I do those big days about nine or ten days before my event, get myself really tired then take a few days completely off the bike before doing a lighter week with some extra intensity but less overall volume in the final week leading up to the race. That works much better for me than tapering from a steady training volume and personally I wouldn't take a rest week before tapering.

Tapering also works best for me (and others I've worked with) from a fairly high overall training load. IOW, I doubt the rider who's worked up to say five or six training hours per week is going to see as much rebound freshness from a taper as the rider who's putting in two to three times those hours weekly. In power terms I don't think it makes much sense to taper when your CTL is below say 60 or 70 but makes a lot more sense for the athletes sustaining a CTL of 90, 100 or above.

The other basic tapering premise that seems to work for me is to taper more for short intense events and taper less for long endurance events. IOW, freshness is really important for short punchy races like crits and track races but fitness is really important for really long events. Tapering buys freshness at some cost to fitness as you tradeoff training for additional recovery.

YMMV,
-Dave

Reactions: dhk2
from what i remember you plan long way ahead of the event, so where to put the rest week is in fact a part of tapering. the final week leading to the event it is twice, 7 days before and then 3 or 4 days before the race where you can deplete your self and then over fuel with pasta for example, for me Wednesday was D - Day if the race was on Sunday,