Tapioca pudding

Brian Christiansen

Guest
A while back I had some questions about tapioca pudding. Just wanted to say
that I found a recipe out of the old Fannie Farmer cookbook (belongs to my
mom) that turns out real well. It takes two cups of milk, which is exactly
the volume of a 1 pound tub of frozen strawberries (the kind that are frozen
in a big clump with the juice, not as individual berries). Well, anyway, it
is real good made with the strawberries. I like chocolate cool whip on it
best, but regular cool whip is good too.

Brian Christiansen.

Brian Christiansen wrote:
> A while back I had some questions about tapioca pudding. Just wanted to say
> that I found a recipe out of the old Fannie Farmer cookbook (belongs to my
> mom) that turns out real well. It takes two cups of milk, which is exactly
> the volume of a 1 pound tub of frozen strawberries (the kind that are frozen
> in a big clump with the juice, not as individual berries). Well, anyway, it
> is real good made with the strawberries. I like chocolate cool whip on it
> best, but regular cool whip is good too.
>
> Brian Christiansen.

Great!! Do you add the strawberries or something, or was that just how
you learned to measure out 2 cups milk? I love tapioca, don't make it
near enough. It is just fun to play with in your mouth while eating,
isn't it? :)

"Goomba38" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> Great!! Do you add the strawberries or something, or was that just how you
> learned to measure out 2 cups milk? I love tapioca, don't make it near
> enough. It is just fun to play with in your mouth while eating, isn't it?
> :)

A 1 pound tub of frozen strawberries says it has 3 servings of ~1/2 cup
each, so I pondered what to stretch it with - milk, just plain water, orange
juice, whatever. When I thawed the strawberries though, I poured them into
a 2 cup measuring cup and there were exactly two cups, so I guess those
packages actually have 4 1/2 cup servings.

Brian Christiansen

Goomba38 wrote:

> Great!! Do you add the strawberries or something, or was that just how
> you learned to measure out 2 cups milk? I love tapioca, don't make it
> near enough. It is just fun to play with in your mouth while eating,
> isn't it? :)

I lone the old Fish Eyes and Glue tapioca, but I have a problem. I cannot find
pearl tapioca in the grocery stores. They used to sell it. I last bought some
about 6 months ago. I have shopped in a half dozen grocery stores in the last
month or store and looked for it in each of them, but to no avail. I got some sago
at the Bulk Barn. but not real tapioca.

Dave Smith wrote:

> I lone the old Fish Eyes and Glue tapioca, but I have a problem. I cannot find
> pearl tapioca in the grocery stores. They used to sell it. I last bought some
> about 6 months ago. I have shopped in a half dozen grocery stores in the last
> month or store and looked for it in each of them, but to no avail. I got some sago
> at the Bulk Barn. but not real tapioca.

Dave,

You might try checking out the local Asian market, if you've got one.
I've found everything from monster fisheye tapioca to little tiny green
tapioca.

Jason

Dave Smith wrote:

> I lone the old Fish Eyes and Glue tapioca, but I have a problem. I cannot find
> pearl tapioca in the grocery stores. They used to sell it. I last bought some
> about 6 months ago. I have shopped in a half dozen grocery stores in the last
> month or store and looked for it in each of them, but to no avail. I got some sago
> at the Bulk Barn. but not real tapioca.

"Fish eyes and glue"??? ugh... I think I just lost my appetite for
tapioca!! LOL
Seriously though..would you like me to send you some?
Goomba

Goomba38 wrote:

> "Fish eyes and glue"??? ugh... I think I just lost my appetite for
> tapioca!! LOL
> Seriously though..would you like me to send you some?
> Goomba

Thanks, but Jason suggested trying an Asian market, which I have to do soon anyway. But
I can't find it I may take you up on that.

I don't understand it. I love the stuff and so does my son, but most people seem to
think it is disgusting. I never used to have any problem finding it. It was always
right beside the minute tapioca, but all of a sudden none of the grocery stores are
selling it.

Jason Tinling wrote:

> You might try checking out the local Asian market, if you've got one.
> I've found everything from monster fisheye tapioca to little tiny green
> tapioca.

Great advice.
Thanks. I stopped by at my favourite Asian store today to stock up on some hot sauces
and curry pastes and remembered to look for pearl tapioca. The woman who runs the place
is incredibly friendly and helpful. I told her that I had had a hard time finding it,
that they no longer have pearl tapioca in the grocery stores. She said "If you can't
find pearl tapioca go to any oriental store because se use it in our cooking all the
time", but I have to confess that, other than desserts, I have never come across any
oriental dishes that use tapioca.

So I have come tapioca soaking in milk in the fridge and tomorrow morning I will be
making a patch of tapioca pudding.... Fish Eyes and Glue.

Dave Smith wrote:
> Jason Tinling wrote:
>
> > You might try checking out the local Asian market, if you've got one.
> > I've found everything from monster fisheye tapioca to little tiny green
> > tapioca.
> >

> Great advice.
> Thanks. I stopped by at my favourite Asian store today to stock up on some hot sauces
> and curry pastes and remembered to look for pearl tapioca. The woman who runs the place
> is incredibly friendly and helpful. I told her that I had had a hard time finding it,
> that they no longer have pearl tapioca in the grocery stores. She said "If you can't
> find pearl tapioca go to any oriental store because se use it in our cooking all the
> time", but I have to confess that, other than desserts, I have never come across any
> oriental dishes that use tapioca.
>
> So I have come tapioca soaking in milk in the fridge and tomorrow morning I will be
> making a patch of tapioca pudding.... Fish Eyes and Glue.

Dave,

Glad that it worked out. Fish eyes and glue is a wonderful thing.

Jason

Dave Smith wrote:
She said "If you can't
> find pearl tapioca go to any oriental store because se use it in our cooking all the
> time", but I have to confess that, other than desserts, I have never come across any
> oriental dishes that use tapioca.

Lucky you....you've obviously never experienced the wonders of Bubble
Tea. There's one chinatown-trip-gone-wrong experiment!