Tapioca pudding

Discussion in 'Food and nutrition' started by Brian Christiansen, Feb 12, 2006.

  1. A while back I had some questions about tapioca pudding. Just wanted to say
    that I found a recipe out of the old Fannie Farmer cookbook (belongs to my
    mom) that turns out real well. It takes two cups of milk, which is exactly
    the volume of a 1 pound tub of frozen strawberries (the kind that are frozen
    in a big clump with the juice, not as individual berries). Well, anyway, it
    is real good made with the strawberries. I like chocolate cool whip on it
    best, but regular cool whip is good too.

    Brian Christiansen.

    Tags:

  2. Goomba38

    Goomba38 Guest

    Brian Christiansen wrote:
    > A while back I had some questions about tapioca pudding. Just wanted to say
    > that I found a recipe out of the old Fannie Farmer cookbook (belongs to my
    > mom) that turns out real well. It takes two cups of milk, which is exactly
    > the volume of a 1 pound tub of frozen strawberries (the kind that are frozen
    > in a big clump with the juice, not as individual berries). Well, anyway, it
    > is real good made with the strawberries. I like chocolate cool whip on it
    > best, but regular cool whip is good too.
    >
    > Brian Christiansen.

    Great!! Do you add the strawberries or something, or was that just how
    you learned to measure out 2 cups milk? I love tapioca, don't make it
    near enough. It is just fun to play with in your mouth while eating,
    isn't it? :)

  3. "Goomba38" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]

    > Great!! Do you add the strawberries or something, or was that just how you
    > learned to measure out 2 cups milk? I love tapioca, don't make it near
    > enough. It is just fun to play with in your mouth while eating, isn't it?
    > :)

    A 1 pound tub of frozen strawberries says it has 3 servings of ~1/2 cup
    each, so I pondered what to stretch it with - milk, just plain water, orange
    juice, whatever. When I thawed the strawberries though, I poured them into
    a 2 cup measuring cup and there were exactly two cups, so I guess those
    packages actually have 4 1/2 cup servings.

    Brian Christiansen

  4. Dave Smith

    Dave Smith Guest

    Goomba38 wrote:

    > Great!! Do you add the strawberries or something, or was that just how
    > you learned to measure out 2 cups milk? I love tapioca, don't make it
    > near enough. It is just fun to play with in your mouth while eating,
    > isn't it? :)

    I lone the old Fish Eyes and Glue tapioca, but I have a problem. I cannot find
    pearl tapioca in the grocery stores. They used to sell it. I last bought some
    about 6 months ago. I have shopped in a half dozen grocery stores in the last
    month or store and looked for it in each of them, but to no avail. I got some sago
    at the Bulk Barn. but not real tapioca.

  5. Dave Smith wrote:

    > I lone the old Fish Eyes and Glue tapioca, but I have a problem. I cannot find
    > pearl tapioca in the grocery stores. They used to sell it. I last bought some
    > about 6 months ago. I have shopped in a half dozen grocery stores in the last
    > month or store and looked for it in each of them, but to no avail. I got some sago
    > at the Bulk Barn. but not real tapioca.

    Dave,

    You might try checking out the local Asian market, if you've got one.
    I've found everything from monster fisheye tapioca to little tiny green
    tapioca.

    Jason

  6. Goomba38

    Goomba38 Guest

    Dave Smith wrote:

    > I lone the old Fish Eyes and Glue tapioca, but I have a problem. I cannot find
    > pearl tapioca in the grocery stores. They used to sell it. I last bought some
    > about 6 months ago. I have shopped in a half dozen grocery stores in the last
    > month or store and looked for it in each of them, but to no avail. I got some sago
    > at the Bulk Barn. but not real tapioca.

    "Fish eyes and glue"??? ugh... I think I just lost my appetite for
    tapioca!! LOL
    Seriously though..would you like me to send you some?
    Goomba

  7. Dave Smith

    Dave Smith Guest

    Jason Tinling wrote:

    > Dave Smith wrote:
    >
    > > I lone the old Fish Eyes and Glue tapioca, but I have a problem. I cannot find
    > > pearl tapioca in the grocery stores. They used to sell it. I last bought some
    > > about 6 months ago. I have shopped in a half dozen grocery stores in the last
    > > month or store and looked for it in each of them, but to no avail. I got some sago
    > > at the Bulk Barn. but not real tapioca.

    > Dave,
    >
    > You might try checking out the local Asian market, if you've got one.
    > I've found everything from monster fisheye tapioca to little tiny green
    > tapioca.
    >
    > Good idea. I have to make a trip there soon to stock up on chili paste and mango
    > chutney. It save about 40% buying that sort of stuff there instead of usual grocery
    > store. It alos occasionally has great deals on nice ripe mangos.

  8. Dave Smith

    Dave Smith Guest

    Goomba38 wrote:

    > "Fish eyes and glue"??? ugh... I think I just lost my appetite for
    > tapioca!! LOL
    > Seriously though..would you like me to send you some?
    > Goomba

    Thanks, but Jason suggested trying an Asian market, which I have to do soon anyway. But
    I can't find it I may take you up on that.

    I don't understand it. I love the stuff and so does my son, but most people seem to
    think it is disgusting. I never used to have any problem finding it. It was always
    right beside the minute tapioca, but all of a sudden none of the grocery stores are
    selling it.

  9. Dave Smith

    Dave Smith Guest

    Jason Tinling wrote:

    > You might try checking out the local Asian market, if you've got one.
    > I've found everything from monster fisheye tapioca to little tiny green
    > tapioca.

    Great advice.
    Thanks. I stopped by at my favourite Asian store today to stock up on some hot sauces
    and curry pastes and remembered to look for pearl tapioca. The woman who runs the place
    is incredibly friendly and helpful. I told her that I had had a hard time finding it,
    that they no longer have pearl tapioca in the grocery stores. She said "If you can't
    find pearl tapioca go to any oriental store because se use it in our cooking all the
    time", but I have to confess that, other than desserts, I have never come across any
    oriental dishes that use tapioca.

    So I have come tapioca soaking in milk in the fridge and tomorrow morning I will be
    making a patch of tapioca pudding.... Fish Eyes and Glue.

  10. Dave Smith wrote:
    > Jason Tinling wrote:
    >
    > > You might try checking out the local Asian market, if you've got one.
    > > I've found everything from monster fisheye tapioca to little tiny green
    > > tapioca.
    > >

    > Great advice.
    > Thanks. I stopped by at my favourite Asian store today to stock up on some hot sauces
    > and curry pastes and remembered to look for pearl tapioca. The woman who runs the place
    > is incredibly friendly and helpful. I told her that I had had a hard time finding it,
    > that they no longer have pearl tapioca in the grocery stores. She said "If you can't
    > find pearl tapioca go to any oriental store because se use it in our cooking all the
    > time", but I have to confess that, other than desserts, I have never come across any
    > oriental dishes that use tapioca.
    >
    > So I have come tapioca soaking in milk in the fridge and tomorrow morning I will be
    > making a patch of tapioca pudding.... Fish Eyes and Glue.

    Dave,

    Glad that it worked out. Fish eyes and glue is a wonderful thing.

    Jason

  11. Jude

    Jude Guest

    Dave Smith wrote:
    She said "If you can't
    > find pearl tapioca go to any oriental store because se use it in our cooking all the
    > time", but I have to confess that, other than desserts, I have never come across any
    > oriental dishes that use tapioca.

    Lucky you....you've obviously never experienced the wonders of Bubble
    Tea. There's one chinatown-trip-gone-wrong experiment!