Target Heart Rate

Status
Not open for further replies.
R

Richard Miller

How long does it take to reach your target heart rate? Today I went to the gym and got on a
stationary bike and it took me about 7 minutes to get to my target heart rate which is 115 because I
got out of the hospital a month and a half ago, I'm 55 years old, and it has been about a year since
I have done any cardiovascular work outs.

Richard

Richard Miller wrote:
> How long does it take to reach your target heart rate? Today I went to the gym and got on a
> stationary bike and it took me about 7 minutes to get to my target heart rate which is 115 because
> I got out of the hospital a month and a half ago, I'm 55 years old, and it has been about a year
> since I have done any cardiovascular work outs.
>
> Richard

Depends what my target heart rate is, and what kind of output I'm doing. Although it didn't seem to
take me much yesterday to jump all the way up to 200 or so yesterday! Damn some of those climbs
were steep...

Jon Bond

Richard Miller wrote:
> How long does it take to reach your target heart rate? Today I went to the gym and got on a
> stationary bike and it took me about 7 minutes to get to my target heart rate which is 115 because
> I got out of the hospital a month and a half ago, I'm 55 years old, and it has been about a year
> since I have done any cardiovascular work outs.
>
> Richard
>
>
it depends on many factors. just what the things mean is personal too.

not comeing up to target (or a lowered max) is a sign of overtraining or sickness. likewise
'overreving' is a sign of the same thing.

"target" heart rate is deceptive as well. people the same age and fitness don't have the same HrMax,
an example is my ride buddy and i. he is 50 - i'm 45 he maxs out ~198, i max @ ~ 194. but along the
same line he has an AT of ~ 163, mine is ~ 176. Hrmax ( and AT) also will bounce around depending on
a number of factors ( hydration, sleep, stress, over all health).

a good sign your not over doing it is recovery time, work your HR to a certain point, remove the
load and see how long it takes to come down ( if it keeps riseing for more than a few sec after you
remove load you need to ease the work load). it should drop 20 - 30 bpm (or more) in a minute.

That said - i would suggest you ask your doctor NOT usenet about medical matters!!

On Wed, 16 Apr 2003 13:23:29 -0800, James Connell <[email protected]> wrote:

>
>That said - i would suggest you ask your doctor NOT usenet about medical matters!!

Best advice I've heard yet.

Peace, Bill The mind serves properly as a window glass rather than as a reflector, that is, the mind
should give an immediate view instead of an interpretation of the world.
:-]

Jonathan Bond <[email protected]> wrote
> Richard Miller wrote:
> > How long does it take to reach your target heart rate?
[...]
> Depends what my target heart rate is

My target heart rate is zero, but I'm in no particular hurry to get there.

CC

Status
Not open for further replies.