General fitness, health and nutrition · Public discussion

[censored]/Flans/Pies

Started by Old Mother Ashby · · Last activity · 3 posts · 387 views

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
General fitness, health and nutrition
Published
4 February 2006
Last activity
4 February 2006
Original author
Old Mother Ashby
Posts
3
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
387
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–3 of 3
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. At the risk of being turned into a pillar of salt, I looked up The
    Oxford Companion to Food. If I had done this before tangling with Big
    Bob, it might have saved a lot of aggro, though I probably would have
    had less fun.

    "[censored] a term which overlaps with FLAN, sometimes QUICHE and PIZZA, and
    is largely replaced in N.America by PIE. A [censored] is a flat, baked item
    consisting of a base of pastry, or occasionally some other flour
    preparation, with a sweet or savoury topping not covered by a pastry lid."

    Right, so now we know.

    Christine
    Who feels she is owed an apology, but doesn't expect to get one

  2. Old Mother Ashby wrote on 04 Feb 2006 in rec.food.cooking

    Quoted message said:

    At the risk of being turned into a pillar of salt, I looked up The
    Oxford Companion to Food. If I had done this before tangling with Big
    Bob, it might have saved a lot of aggro, though I probably would have
    had less fun.

    "[censored] a term which overlaps with FLAN, sometimes QUICHE and PIZZA, and
    is largely replaced in N.America by PIE. A [censored] is a flat, baked item
    consisting of a base of pastry, or occasionally some other flour
    preparation, with a sweet or savoury topping not covered by a pastry
    lid."

    Right, so now we know.

    Christine
    Who feels she is owed an apology, but doesn't expect to get one

    I thought a [censored] was a highly cosmetic-ized woman on the make, with a
    side of easy virtue.

    --
    The eyes are the mirrors....
    But the ears...Ah the ears.
    The ears keep the hat up.

  3. Old Mother Ashby said:

    At the risk of being turned into a pillar of salt, I looked up The
    Oxford Companion to Food. If I had done this before tangling with Big
    Bob, it might have saved a lot of aggro, though I probably would have
    had less fun.

    That's a wonderful book that gives a distant overview of thousands of
    subjects, none of which does it treat in great detail. It's kinda the
    upscale Cliff Notes of matters culinary. Wonderful for what it is.

    Somehow all this gnashing of teeth and referring to books - how many
    before you found this tenuous support, we don't know - doesn't sound
    like you've been having all that much fun. Well, lets hit some in my
    shelves... how about that?

    Quoted message said:

    "[censored] a term which overlaps with FLAN, sometimes QUICHE and PIZZA, and
    is largely replaced in N.America by PIE. A [censored] is a flat, baked item
    consisting of a base of pastry, or occasionally some other flour
    preparation, with a sweet or savoury topping not covered by a pastry lid."

    [censored] is *flat* or did that skip past you like so much else has? Note the
    word *topping* - rather than *filling* as one says when talking about
    the contents of a pie. Flan in a crust is also *flat* or did that skip
    past you, too?

    Tell you what, since you like books and all, check out Jacques Pepin's
    La Methode where he shows pictures and explains how to actually do it.
    It has step-by-step pictures and even shows the thin, crispy finished
    products.

    Maybe glance through "The Joy of Pastry" for more pics and explanations.

    Try Anne Willan's "Look and Cook - Perfect Pies and [censored]." Pics,
    explanations, recipes, definitions. And note that she uses two different
    words to define two different things.

    Hit Nick Malgieri's "How to bake: The complete guide to perfect cakes,
    cookies, pies, [censored], breads, pizzas, muffins, sweet and savory." He
    offers a further distinction between pies and [censored]: "A pie is always
    served from the pan in which it was baked." He goes on: "A [censored] differs
    from a pie in several ways: a [censored] is always baked in a straight-sided
    pan which may or may not be fluted; a pie is baked in a slope-sided pan.
    A [censored] is usually half the depth of a pie and is free-standing - removed
    from the pan and placed on a platter for serving. A [censored] may have a top
    crust (lattice or whole) though it is not usual." A linzer [censored] would be
    an example, although he doesn't show one.

    Maybe "The Artful Pie" by Cherkasky and Comet. Many, many pictures of pies.

    "The New Pastry Book" by Helen Fletcher. She offers recipes for pie
    crust and a different one called "Murbteig" pastry which is a short
    pastry used for [censored]. It's also in previous editions of "The Joy of
    Cooking."

    Bernard Clayton, Jr.'s "The complete book of pastry sweet and savory."
    where he has enormous and separate chapters for "pies," and "[censored] and
    quiches."

    Quoted message said:

    Right, so now we know.

    As if...

    What we do know now is that you're still trying to force a definition to
    somehow confirm your errors as correct. Ignore the parts that don't
    support you. Gallant effort.

    Quoted message said:

    Christine
    Who feels she is owed an apology, but doesn't expect to get one

    Good thinking about not getting an apology, bad news about believing you
    deserve one. Let's see how that works. I call my deep-dish, two-apple
    pie a pie and you disagree. I explain why I did it, complete with
    definitions and examples. You disagree and insist. I offer more
    information on the subject. I try to make peace. You keep insisting, but
    this time offer a quotation from Alan Davidson that demonstrates your
    errors. And, somehow, I owe you an apology. Brilliant.

    Pastorio

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.