Taster sessions at Manchester Velodrome

Cliff Top

Guest
My 16 yr old is keen on trying out a spot of track cycling. We've been avid
MTB cyclists for several yrs now , along with some road work, and some
success in trailquests, but he is now being held back by us middle agers in
the club. He obviously has some talent ... some ambition... and gets a lot
of enjoyment out of competitive cycling.
With taster sessions being offered, we feel it's perhaps worth seeing if
he's got what it takes, ....or prove he hasn't...
Programmes like the Horizon on BBC2 tonight and the coverage of the games
only serve to plant the dream of future success, so now seems a fitting time
to try.

Any advice on which sessions would be best to go to would be appreciated.

They mention LOOK pedals and how they have adapters to other cleats... Are
there adapters for either SPDs or eggbeaters?

cheers
Andrew

Cliff Top wrote:
> My 16 yr old is keen on trying out a spot of track cycling. We've
> been avid MTB cyclists for several yrs now , along with some road
> work, and some success in trailquests, but he is now being held back
> by us middle agers in the club. He obviously has some talent ... some
> ambition... and gets a lot of enjoyment out of competitive cycling.
> With taster sessions being offered, we feel it's perhaps worth seeing
> if he's got what it takes, ....or prove he hasn't...
> Programmes like the Horizon on BBC2 tonight and the coverage of the
> games only serve to plant the dream of future success, so now seems a
> fitting time to try.
>
> Any advice on which sessions would be best to go to would be
> appreciated.
>
> They mention LOOK pedals and how they have adapters to other
> cleats... Are there adapters for either SPDs or eggbeaters?
>
> cheers
> Andrew

At the taster sessions, you can hire a bike for a few quid, The bikes come
with look pedals, you can borrow clip-in widgets that convert them to clip
and strap type pedals, or you can hore some look type shoes for a few quid.

have a go its fun.

Andy Morris

Love this:

"Cliff Top" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> My 16 yr old is keen on trying out a spot of track cycling. We've been
> avid
> MTB cyclists for several yrs now , along with some road work, and some
> success in trailquests, but he is now being held back by us middle agers
> in
> the club. He obviously has some talent ... some ambition... and gets a lot
> of enjoyment out of competitive cycling.
> With taster sessions being offered, we feel it's perhaps worth seeing if
> he's got what it takes, ....or prove he hasn't...
> Programmes like the Horizon on BBC2 tonight and the coverage of the games
> only serve to plant the dream of future success, so now seems a fitting
> time
> to try.
>
> Any advice on which sessions would be best to go to would be appreciated.
>
> They mention LOOK pedals and how they have adapters to other cleats...
> Are
> there adapters for either SPDs or eggbeaters?
>
> cheers
> Andrew

If you book a tasrer session at the velodrome, you can book a pair of shoes
with Look cleats on them and book the bike too. It's great fun and good
value. Depending on who is running the session, you'll get excellent
coaching advice, or not so excellent ;-)

Also, once he's had a taser session or two, get in contact with Eastlands
Velo

http://www.eastlandsvelo.com/

The club has training sessions on a Saturday morning, and they *welcome*
non-club kids along to join in the session (parental consent required). They
have several hours of seriously good training and coaching and really are
incredibly welcoming. Nathan has done a couple of sessions with them and I
cannot praise the club enough on how welcoming they were.

Cheers, helen s

"Cliff Top" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> Any advice on which sessions would be best to go to would be appreciated.

Straight 'taster' session first - gets an hour riding on the track, which is
pretty good fun. Ask the person there for advice at the end of it if you
want to do more.

> They mention LOOK pedals and how they have adapters to other cleats...
> Are
> there adapters for either SPDs or eggbeaters?

As others have mentioned, they use LOOKs, and have adapters for normal shoes
+ toestraps. If he's used to clipless, hire a pair of shoes - much better
than using the adapters.

No, they won't let you swap the pedals.

cheers,
clive

wafflycat wrote:

> If you book a tasrer session at the velodrome, you can book a pair of
> shoes with Look cleats on them and book the bike too. It's great fun and
> good value. Depending on who is running the session, you'll get
> excellent coaching advice, or not so excellent ;-)
>
> Also, once he's had a taser session or two,

Sounds electrifying fun.

R.

"Richard" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> wafflycat wrote:
>
>> If you book a tasrer session at the velodrome, you can book a pair of
>> shoes with Look cleats on them and book the bike too. It's great fun and
>> good value. Depending on who is running the session, you'll get excellent
>> coaching advice, or not so excellent ;-)
>>
>> Also, once he's had a taser session or two,

> Sounds electrifying fun.
>
> R.

:)

> Any advice on which sessions would be best to go to would be
> appreciated.

They have sessions that progress from Taster to Skills to Induction. It's
in the last one that you get Track Acceditation and can take part in the
'proper' sessions. That's at least his first three sessions planned out
:)

<http://www.manchestervelodrome.com/static_info/trackhire_p1.htm> has more
info.

I had a (mini) taster the other week and it was *fantastic* - he'll love
it.

I've ridden taster seesions both at Manchester and Newport (already
used to riding a fixed track bike at outdoor track).

For me, it is without doubt the most fun you can have on a bike. Shame
there isn't an indoor track a bit closer (can't wait for London to get
it's velodrome).

When I first got to the Manchester velodrome, I made the mistake of
looking down the end banking from the top. It is a fair way down and
about a 45° angle. "Oh-mi-god" I thought, "what have I let myself in
for?".

But after about an hour or so of tentative riding, you don't even
notice the banking and I was happily changing off the front of a
"pursuit" group by steering straight up the banking from the end of the
straight and dropping back onto the rear of the line a few metres
later. A total blast.

Bronzie