Tats

Discussion in 'The Bike Cafe' started by Denny418, Aug 27, 2009.

1. Denny418

Denny418 New Member

I don't understand why most people get them. If you were at war in some God-forsaken place and got a tattoo to mark that experience, okay, I have some understanding of that. Or, if you had some important life event and want to commemorate that, I kind of see that. But a strand of barbed wire? A nude woman? Flowers? Chinese symbols? A dagger dripping blood?

Can some of you who have them explain why you got them, and their meaning to you? I'm not being critical. I'm trying to get some insight that I'm missing.

Tags:

2. alienator

alienator Well-Known Member

People have been known for centuries....longer, maybe......for adorning their bodies in various ways. It varies from culture to culture. Tattooing is just one flavor of that tradition.

3. dougadam

dougadam Member

I know a guy who got a tattoo of his favorite tennis shows

4. frenchyge

frenchyge New Member

I don't have any ink, but if I did it would be because I was cool and wanted to show everyone how badazz I was. I mean..... this is barbed wire (or maybe a tribal band for a tribe I don't belong to) on my guns here dude, better back the F-- off! Plus, that needle thing hurts when they draw it on, which shows that I'm pretty tough. :cool:

Ink is nature's warning sign for creatures that aren't naturally brightly colored and don't have sharp claws or teeth.

5. sideshow_bob

sideshow_bob New Member

If you don't get them, you aren't going to get them. It's I'd imagine like the reasons for riding a bike. To people who don't do it, we are a bunch of lycra wearing tools. But among cyclists the reasons for doing it are many and varied.

My tattoos are personal to me, they have personal meaning to me and I don't see the point of explaining that to anyone else.

Probably as insightful as you are going to get, is watch a few episodes of Miami Ink where they talk to people about the reasons for their tattoos as they are being done.